Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-16-2012, 11:56 PM   #31
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Of the 80's Fab four, Duran, Hearns. Hagler and Leonard..Which is your favorite!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
One thing that really annoys me about Leonard. The two titles from two different weights in one fight against Lalonde. Thats what you call cheating. You need to have to separate fights to achieve such a feat. Many other fighters work their ass off in two separate fights to win titles in two different weight divisions.

Anyone who supports and justifies Leonard as a legitimate 5 weight world champion needs to have a look in the mirror.

I actually rate Mayweather as a legit 5 weight world champion with alphabet belts. Leonard, I don't.
Bottom line though..Leonard was great!..
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2012, 12:02 AM   #32
Garrus
Big Boss 1935-2014
ESB Addict

Location: A Hero Forever Loyal To The Flames Of War, Rests in Outer Heaven
vCash: 157
Default Re: Of the 80's Fab four, Duran, Hearns. Hagler and Leonard..Which is your favorite!?

Duran.

When I first started getting into boxing (right before Floyd-Hatton)
I had seen someone post, "Greatest Latino fighter of all time: Roberto Duran"

Thought DLH was the greatest.

Started researching him and been a fan ever since.

Being a fellow Latino I may have some bias but **** it...
Garrus is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 12:02 AM   #33
Kid Cincinnati
GOOD BOY NATION
ESB Addict

vCash: 0

In terms of how much I like their personalities

Marvelous
Tommy
Ray
Roberto

In terms of who I rooted for when they fought

Leonard
Hagler
Duran
Hearns
Kid Cincinnati is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 12:17 AM   #34
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrus View Post
Duran.

When I first started getting into boxing (right before Floyd-Hatton)
I had seen someone post, "Greatest Latino fighter of all time: Roberto Duran"

Thought DLH was the greatest.

Started researching him and been a fan ever since.

Being a fellow Latino I may have some bias but **** it...
DLH was great..your right..but you just cant count out Duran..dude was a ****in baddass...best LW ever.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:19 AM   #35
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

@Kid...How the hell could you not root for Hearns or Haglar..Are you outa you effin mind?
Old 08-17-2012, 12:30 AM   #36
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

vCash: 816

Leonard
Duran
Hearns
Hagler

Damn not a lot like Leonard on d forums
turbotime is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 12:32 AM   #37
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Roberto Duran was my favorite. He was a natural warrior. Noting contrived about him. I always felt Duran was more comfortable and at home in the ring than out of it. It was his office.

Marvin Hagler would be 2nd. I admired his ability to take setbacks and make a positive out of them. Whether it was a bad decision {Watts} {Vito} or a legit loss {Monroe}. Marvin always seemed to gain determination and strength from those losses.

Also Hagler was always in top shape. He didnt waste any of his ability. Marvin Hagler might been the toughest man ever to fight. Not just physically.
ETM is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 12:37 AM   #38
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
One thing that really annoys me about Leonard. The two titles from two different weights in one fight against Lalonde. Thats what you call cheating. You need to have to separate fights to achieve such a feat.
I agree. That was bullshit.
ETM is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 12:43 AM   #39
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotime View Post
Leonard
Duran
Hearns
Hagler

Damn not a lot like Leonard on d forums

I don't like him.........But my dislike isn't deep enough to be biased against him. I happen to be a massive Duran fan, but think he's slightly overrated on this forum.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 12:44 AM   #40
DaveK
Vicious & Malicious
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

I have no favorite, I love watching them all in action.

Hearns would have rather died than disappoint fans.

Hagler would rather die than lose, or be shown up in any way.

Duran was such a natural born fighter; a die-in-the-wool, complete fighter.

Leonard was a dichotomy of a dazzling media darling and a competitive killer.

I like Leonard's attitude the least for sure. That's the big difference. If I like anyone the least, it's Leonard.
DaveK is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 12:51 AM   #41
Meazy-E
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Duran and Hagler are my 2 favorite of all time, so they tie for first, then Hearns then Leonard.
Meazy-E is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 12:56 AM   #42
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

@DaveK..Thats the best possible answer to that question..Genius!...I couldnt agree with you more
Old 08-17-2012, 01:43 AM   #43
Ricky42791
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2835

aww man, lets see

Duran-is definitely my favorite, immaculate as a lightweight with his only loss (dejesus) being avenged twice by KO. Comes up to welter beats an undefeated young, ****y Ray Leonard. Brutalized Davey Moore after people were sure his career was over. First of Hagler's title defenses to take him the full 15 in a very very close fight for the middleweight title. Has another resurrection against a ferocious young tough Iran Barkley fresh off of a devastating knockout of Thomas Hearns. Won a split decision and dropped Barkley in the fight. Fought from 68-01. The definition of Machismo. Manos de Piedra hands of stone!

Hagler was a badass with an iron chin,power,will. He was very tough tough rugged guy. I loved how intense he was with his war hats and "going to jail" during training. He's really one of a kind. I love how he realized he cant let fights go in the hands of the judges after the first antuofermo fight. He was stoic, he didnt talk much. He talked with his fists in the ring.

Sugar Ray-I respect sugar ray and enjoy watching his fights very much. He could do it all. Speed, power, combinations, movement you name it he was very well rounded and could punch. However his charisma and bravado kind of turn me off. Being as Duran is my #1 its hard to love sugar ray. But goddamnit I respect the man! He's just kind of too flashy/cute for me. I do like it when he punched though.

Tommy Hearns- Tommy Hearns comes last on my list but that doesn't mean I dont like Tommy. His fights were always exiting win lose or draw. His straight right was a Weapon of Mass DESTRUCTION. I've never seen anyone with that build and that weight punch like he did. Tommy was a little chinny and i tend to prefer durable fighters but, this did add to the exitement of his fights. He damn near killed Duran who had an Iron Jaw.
Ricky42791 is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 01:45 AM   #44
luke
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSouthpaw View Post
My personal fav is Hearns..
bingo
luke is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 01:48 AM   #45
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky42791 View Post
aww man, lets see

Duran-is definitely my favorite, immaculate as a lightweight with his only loss (dejesus) being avenged twice by KO. Comes up to welter beats an undefeated young, ****y Ray Leonard. Brutalized Davey Moore after people were sure his career was over. First of Hagler's title defenses to take him the full 15 in a very very close fight for the middleweight title. Has another resurrection against a ferocious young tough Iran Barkley fresh off of a devastating knockout of Thomas Hearns. Won a split decision and dropped Barkley in the fight. Fought from 68-01. The definition of Machismo. Manos de Piedra hands of stone!

Well said about all the fighters...Thanyou

Hagler was a badass with an iron chin,power,will. He was very tough tough rugged guy. I loved how intense he was with his war hats and "going to jail" during training. He's really one of a kind. I love how he realized he cant let fights go in the hands of the judges after the first antuofermo fight. He was stoic, he didnt talk much. He talked with his fists in the ring.

Sugar Ray-I respect sugar ray and enjoy watching his fights very much. He could do it all. Speed, power, combinations, movement you name it he was very well rounded and could punch. However his charisma and bravado kind of turn me off. Being as Duran is my #1 its hard to love sugar ray. But goddamnit I respect the man! He's just kind of too flashy/cute for me. I do like it when he punched though.

Tommy Hearns- Tommy Hearns comes last on my list but that doesn't mean I dont like Tommy. His fights were always exiting win lose or draw. His straight right was a Weapon of Mass DESTRUCTION. I've never seen anyone with that build and that weight punch like he did. Tommy was a little chinny and i tend to prefer durable fighters but, this did add to the exitement of his fights. He damn near killed Duran who had an Iron Jaw.
I really love what you had to say about Leonard..

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum