Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-17-2012, 01:53 AM   #46
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Of the 80's Fab four, Duran, Hearns. Hagler and Leonard..Which is your favorite!?

@Ricky42791...What do you think of Leonard and Haglers fight!?..You agree with most people about the decision?
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2012, 02:53 AM   #47
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Default Re: Of the 80's Fab four, Duran, Hearns. Hagler and Leonard..Which is your favorite!?

Well then outa the four..Who went on on a better note...and we all know it wasnt Leonard
Old 08-17-2012, 02:56 AM   #48
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Leonard vs Camacho..Suger Rays's last fight
Old 08-17-2012, 04:19 AM   #49
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSouthpaw View Post
Well you were wrong..
Lee would've beaten Hagler in '86, Lindell would've beaten Hearns in '88, and Kalambay beats everyone.
atberry is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 04:21 AM   #50
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

@atberry..not much faith in Hearns or Haglar huh..?
Old 08-17-2012, 04:21 AM   #51
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337

Duran
Hearns
Hagler
Leonard

like them all though.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 04:30 AM   #52
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi View Post
Duran
Hearns
Hagler
Leonard

like them all though.
Cool to see Duran and Hearns at the top of your list..
Old 08-17-2012, 04:31 AM   #53
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

@bodhi....So why is Leonard at the bottom of your list?
Old 08-17-2012, 05:21 AM   #54
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Something like this I suppose:

Hearns
Leonard
Hagler
Duran

Hearns just seems like a modest and nice guy, doesn't have the chip on the shoulder Hagler has, for example. As a fighter he always brought excitement to the table and never made excuses or carried bitterness for matches that went against him. What I like about Leonard is that behind that media persona he was a warrior that obviously liked to challenge himself. Also like his book.

Hagler and Duran are very nice to watch since they were so skilled and complete, but their fans and their personalities turn me off to a degree. There's just something so adolescent about the admiration for these guys. They are hailed as these "men's men - no nonsense" type of fighters, while in reality Hagler still is sulking like a little boy over his loss to Leonard, and Duran consequently refuses to give the guys who beat him their due but instead makes excuses. Hearns only beat him because he viewed him "as a chicken and didn't train for him" - not because he hit like a ton of bricks with fantastic speed and precision, apparently.

What fascinates, and kind of annoys, me is that grown men are much more concerned with Leonard's shrewd sense of publicity (which made him countless millions) than sulking and not giving great opponents their due. Amazing that the silly "two titles" thing with LaLonde carries much, much more weight with most than Duran never giving Buchanan a rematch and blatantly ducking McCallum.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 05:25 AM   #55
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

@bokaj...Hearns was a nice guy with alot of heart
Old 08-17-2012, 05:28 AM   #56
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
@bokaj...Hearns was a nice guy with alot of heart
Yep. And he, unlike Hagler, actually got robbed against Leonard, but hasn't whined for a second about it.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 05:38 AM   #57
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

The draw was and still is a joke
Old 08-17-2012, 06:03 AM   #58
Nate 2011
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

[quote=TheSouthpaw;13603717]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate 2011 View Post
Sugar Ray Leonard hands down was my all time favorite. Meanwhile the exact order I would rate these four fighters in goes precisley:

Sugar Ray Leonard
Marvelous Marvin Hagler
Tommy "Hit Man" Hearns
Roberto Duran

All were great fighters that were involved in one of boxings many great matches of all time, including against each other, and they were all big time CCT/PPV high rated events, especially Sugar Ray Leonard's fights.[/quoteYa but puttin Duran last is a bols statement..

Ya but puttin Duran last on that laist is a bold statement..
Maybe, but at least I have him on there and like the others I acknowledge him as a great fighter of that era and any era for that matter/P.F.P the greatest all-time Latino fighter, but keep in mind that Duran didn't exactly have a winning record against his three peers. His record against them overall is 1-4, the one win of course coming in the first fight with Leonard which went the 15-round distance. And if you throw in his January, 1982 HBO fight with that era's #5 guy and H.O.F. Wilfred Benitez that would make it 1-5, but for the fair sake of the articles title will stick with the top four and say 1-4.
Nate 2011 is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 06:38 AM   #59
Nate 2011
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
One thing that really annoys me about Leonard. The two titles from two different weights in one fight against Lalonde. Thats what you call cheating. You need to have to separate fights to achieve such a feat. Many other fighters work their ass off in two separate fights to win titles in two different weight divisions.

Anyone who supports and justifies Leonard as a legitimate 5 weight world champion needs to have a look in the mirror.

I actually rate Mayweather as a legit 5 weight world champion with alphabet belts. Leonard, I don't.
While I don't neccessarily agree with your theory on the matter I'll respect your personal opinion and perception on how Sugar Ray Leonard's feat of Donny LaLonde for the WBC Lightheavyweight & WBC SuperMiddlewight belts to become a 5-time champion, which was contested at least at a fair catchweight when you consider that 168 is the actual weight limit for SuperMiddleweight and LaLonde who usually weighed no more than 172 for his fights any way agreed to it, in your eyes was cheating. But if you can't justify Leonard's accomplishment as a 5-time division world champion or for that matter the way that he did it then I know that you can't nor don't recognize Manny Pacquiao as a legitimate 8-time division world champion.
Nate 2011 is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 06:45 AM   #60
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1887

Quote:
My personal fav is Hearns..
Mine too.
fists of fury is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum