Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-17-2012, 06:55 AM   #61
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2137
Default Re: Of the 80's Fab four, Duran, Hearns. Hagler and Leonard..Which is your favorite!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokaj View Post
Yep. And he, unlike Hagler, actually got robbed against Leonard, but hasn't whined for a second about it.
Yeah, exactly. Tommy was a very, very gracious guy. Salt of the earth guy.
fists of fury is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2012, 07:42 AM   #62
Hattons Hook
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Of the 80's Fab four, Duran, Hearns. Hagler and Leonard..Which is your favorite!?

All great but Duran the best. Personal favorite is Hagler, hard c*nt.
Hattons Hook is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 07:55 AM   #63
Kittikasem
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSouthpaw View Post
My personal fav is Hearns..
Duran, easy.

Primarily for his skillset, attitude, longevity, and also being the coolest cunt to ever step inside a ring.
Kittikasem is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 08:10 AM   #64
Hoshi
bigboi
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2419

Hagler was my favourite. Could do everything.
Hoshi is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 10:56 AM   #65
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokaj
Duran never giving Buchanan a rematch and blatantly ducking McCallum.
Instead of fighting McCallum, Duran fought Hearns. And lets not forget it was a more lucrative fight. And without hindsight, a tougher fight on paper at the time as well. Hearns had moved up to 154lbs after the Leonard loss, beat Benitez, and was unbeaten for 3 years at the weight. McCallum had yet to even win a world title.

You need to look into the reasons why a fighter ducks another fighter and what he does after it. I mean, you going to accuse Lewis of ducking John Ruiz, when Michael Grant was a far tougher and more lucrative fight.

My understanding is that Emanuel Steward wanted Hearns to fight Duran, instead of McCallum.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 11:08 AM   #66
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate 2011 View Post
While I don't neccessarily agree with your theory on the matter I'll respect your personal opinion and perception on how Sugar Ray Leonard's feat of Donny LaLonde for the WBC Lightheavyweight & WBC SuperMiddlewight belts to become a 5-time champion, which was contested at least at a fair catchweight when you consider that 168 is the actual weight limit for SuperMiddleweight and LaLonde who usually weighed no more than 172 for his fights any way agreed to it, in your eyes was cheating. But if you can't justify Leonard's accomplishment as a 5-time division world champion or for that matter the way that he did it then I know that you can't nor don't recognize Manny Pacquiao as a legitimate 8-time division world champion.
Do you agree with the way he did it? It was Leonard's idea, not Lalonde's.

Two titles, two different weights, one fight. I'll ask you this. With the current climate of alphabet world titles belts going around, 4 or 5 champions in one weight division, the WBA having super-champions, etc, etc, etc, how would you feel if this two titles from two different weights in one fight was common?

This is worse than someone ducking an opponent.

Two titles from two different weights. It's a no brainer. You need to fight in two fights to accomplish this.

Same as working two weeks to get two weeks wages. Not one week to get two weeks wages.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 11:09 AM   #67
bladerunner
El Intocable
East Side VIP

vCash: 31447

Duran Legendary Badass.
bladerunner is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 11:31 AM   #68
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Duran!
AlFrancis is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 11:41 AM   #69
Nagabilly
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

1. Hands of Stone. Possibly my favourite fighter ever, one of the ones who made a fan of the sport
2. Hagler, a close second
3. Hearns, a distant third
4. I hated Leonard, although I admit it's because of stupid reasons. He resembles a guy at school I despise hahaha but I still have great respect for him
Nagabilly is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 01:22 PM   #70
robert ungurean
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Duran Hagler Hearns.
robert ungurean is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 01:31 PM   #71
SouthpawJab
On his way up!! 4-0!!
ESB Addict

vCash: 462

Leonard. So smooth. So talented. Effortless combinations and killer instinct.
SouthpawJab is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 01:40 PM   #72
jdempsey85
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1032

Duran Duran Duran Duran
jdempsey85 is online now  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 02:08 PM   #73
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
Instead of fighting McCallum, Duran fought Hearns. And lets not forget it was a more lucrative fight. And without hindsight, a tougher fight on paper at the time as well. Hearns had moved up to 154lbs after the Leonard loss, beat Benitez, and was unbeaten for 3 years at the weight. McCallum had yet to even win a world title.

You need to look into the reasons why a fighter ducks another fighter and what he does after it. I mean, you going to accuse Lewis of ducking John Ruiz, when Michael Grant was a far tougher and more lucrative fight.

My understanding is that Emanuel Steward wanted Hearns to fight Duran, instead of McCallum.
Of course it was a risk/reward thing, and I can understand Duran's reasoning. But he did after all duck his mandatory, and that for me must be worse than the meaningless publicity stunt Leonard pulled - a double title nonsense that even he doesn't give two shits about.

Personally, I'm not much bothered by either move, but if you're going to give Leonard a hard time for taking out a much bigger opponent under some bogus pretensions, Duran should be judged for ducking a mandatory and for never really clearing up winning a title with a foul.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 02:10 PM   #74
frosty36
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I'd place them like this:

Hagler
Hearns
Duran
Leonard

Have alot of respect for each of them though
frosty36 is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 02:11 PM   #75
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
Yeah, Steward wanted no part of McCallum. Felt he would beat Hearns.
Bokaj is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum