Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-17-2012, 02:16 PM   #76
WhyYouLittle
Stand Still
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Of the 80's Fab four, Duran, Hearns. Hagler and Leonard..Which is your favorite!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokaj View Post
Yeah, Steward wanted no part of McCallum. Felt he would beat Hearns.
Would be a hell of a fight that's for sure.
WhyYouLittle is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2012, 02:46 PM   #77
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Of the 80's Fab four, Duran, Hearns. Hagler and Leonard..Which is your favorite!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyYouLittle View Post
Would be a hell of a fight that's for sure.
Definitely. Shame it never happened.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 03:31 PM   #78
KuRuPT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Duran
hagler

hearns
srl
KuRuPT is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 06:51 PM   #79
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

he was one the few throwbacks..and completely true to himself
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 08:31 PM   #80
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
Of course it was a risk/reward thing, and I can understand Duran's reasoning. But he did after all duck his mandatory, and that for me must be worse than the meaningless publicity stunt Leonard pulled - a double title nonsense that even he doesn't give two shits about.
He ducked his mandatory to fight a a tougher opponent on paper. If he ducked McCallum to fight a journeyman I could see your point.

Double title nonsense. I think a fighter winning two titles from two different weights in one fight is more than nonsense. He obviously did give two shits about it or he wouldn't have asked for the WBC to sanction it.

When you mention the word, "nonsense", you're right. It was nonsense and laughable. Two titles from two different divisions in one fight. Nonsense.

Quote:
Personally, I'm not much bothered by either move, but if you're going to give Leonard a hard time for taking out a much bigger opponent under some bogus pretensions, Duran should be judged for ducking a mandatory and for never really clearing up winning a title with a foul.
Who was giving Leonard a hard time for taking out a bigger opponent? Not me. I thought the Lalonde win was a great one and his finishing in that fight is among the best I've seen. It's the reward he got for the win I have a problem with.

Duran should've given Buchanan a rematch. You're right there.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 08:40 PM   #81
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

Hearns of course.

The others i rooted against.
lora is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 08:41 PM   #82
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

Robbi i'm interested in what you think of Barney Ross winning two titles in one fight as the circumstances are very different.
LittleRed is offline  Top
Old 08-18-2012, 12:23 AM   #83
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

@lora...Why in the word were you not rooting for Haglar, Duran or SRL?..whats your beef?
Old 08-18-2012, 02:18 AM   #84
Rumsfeld
East Side VIP

vCash: 655

Hagler. First fight I saw as a kid (that I remember) was Hagler-Hearns, and my old man liked Marvin, too. I remember watching that and thinking every boxing match must be as good as that was.
Rumsfeld is offline  Top
Old 08-18-2012, 02:21 AM   #85
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Ya that Haglar VS Hearns fight..nobody expected that
Old 08-18-2012, 02:22 AM   #86
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumsfeld View Post
Hagler. First fight I saw as a kid (that I remember) was Hagler-Hearns, and my old man liked Marvin, too. I remember watching that and thinking every boxing match must be as good as that was.
I just watched it recently..it never gets old.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:07 PM   #87
Ricky42791
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2835

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSouthpaw View Post
@Ricky42791...What do you think of Leonard and Haglers fight!?..You agree with most people about the decision?
Oh man, I've watched this fight a couple of times and keep in mind that I prefer the brawler to the boxer. I really think hagler threw away a lot of those early rounds when he stood orthodox and tried to box with Leonard. He seemed very slow, but his punches were thrown with bad intentions. Ray was a showman and I dont believe he had Hagler hurt at any point during the fight but he threw those flashy combinations and flurries and danced around and obviously seemed to get under hagler's skin. Ray didnt take the fight to Hagler, he was retreating the whole time so he didn't necessarily take the champions belt convincingly but I thought he did enough to get the decision. Hagler just wasnt himself that night and he needed to be all over leonard from the opening bell. Still a very close fight but sugar ray seemed to win a close decision in my opinion.
Ricky42791 is offline  Top
Old 08-18-2012, 02:32 PM   #88
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.

I actually like all 4 fighters, if I made a top 10-15 favourite fighters list, every single one of them would be in it.

I have always had a slight preference for Leonard & Duran over Hagler & Hearns until very recently, Hearns has become one of my fav boxers to watch & has just about pipped Leonard for 2nd place... but for now I`ll call it even & sleep on it.

If I had to put them in order of preference, I would have to say.....

Duran
Leonard/Hearns
Hagler

There is very little between them all tho, they were all masters of boxing but with different strengths & styles.

There will never be another fab 4 of equal greatness that fight in the same era... & especially have the guts to fight each other even once never mind 2 or 3 times.

Last edited by Bill Butcher; 08-29-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Old 08-18-2012, 02:49 PM   #89
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
One thing that really annoys me about Leonard. The two titles from two different weights in one fight against Lalonde. Thats what you call cheating. You need to have to separate fights to achieve such a feat. Many other fighters work their ass off in two separate fights to win titles in two different weight divisions.

Anyone who supports and justifies Leonard as a legitimate 5 weight world champion needs to have a look in the mirror.

I actually rate Mayweather as a legit 5 weight world champion with alphabet belts. Leonard, I don't.
I agree, I have never regarded Leonard as a 5 weight champ, a legit 4 weight champ yes, but not 5.

And yes, fmj is a legit 5 weight champ, he`s still a level or 2 below Leonard tho, everything considered.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:05 PM   #90
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Quote:
Yep. And he, unlike Hagler, actually got robbed against Leonard, but hasn't whined for a second about it.
This is very true, Hearns seems like a real good guy, never any excuses with Hearns.... and yes, Leonard deserved the decision vs Hagler, close fight tho.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum