Floyd "Money" Mayweather Jr. 107 50.95%
Roberto "Manos De Piedra" Duran 103 49.05%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-17-2012, 09:58 PM   #61
boxon123
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Floyd or Duran - Most skilled?

Try This: you go to the gym and see someone boxing and they have all the skills. You think to yourself this guy or girl can go all the way. Then you see them when they step up in class and they look ordinary and you think WTF. Jr has never faced a Tommy Hearns or SRL or Hagler. So we don't know if his skill would stand up against the very best. Jrs reluctance to face even someone like Paul Williams has left there mark. There is that doubt his skill would hold up against the best of the best.
boxon123 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2012, 09:59 PM   #62
Kittikasem
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxNation View Post
You said that Floyd weighs in at 153 on fight night during his fights. I asked you to name those fights and you reluctantly admitted that he never did after failing time after time to change your argument and resorting to calling me names. You also admitted that you were a liar.

I find it funny that in the other thread I had you apologizing to me even though I didn't ask you to, then I ran you out of that thread and now you're trying to come after me on this thread. Seriously dude?

As I said, Duran was obviously a good fighter, but there is nothing special about skill set.
What a douchenozzle. The guy is 1 pound out in his comment, and you keep harping on about it as if he said James Toney was white or something. Sorry if the guy doesn't carry about an encyclopedia of to-the-pound accurate fightnight weights at all times.

Him saying Mayweather was 153 instead of 152 is absolutely NOWHERE NEAR as inaccurate or downright braindead as you saying Duran did not have a special skillset. There are dungbeetles shoving balls of shit around the plains of Africa that know more about boxing than you based on that ATG nightmare statement...
Kittikasem is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 10:01 PM   #63
SoxNation
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1248

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxon123 View Post
Try This: you go to the gym and see someone boxing and they have all the skills. You think to yourself this guy or girl can go all the way. Then you see them when they step up in class and they look ordinary and you think WTF. Jr has never faced a Tommy Hearns or SRL or Hagler. So we don't know if his skill would stand up against the very best. Jrs reluctance to face even someone like Paul Williams has left there mark. There is that doubt his skill would hold up against the best of the best.
That doubt belongs to people that don't know anything about boxing. Even if you think Duran is more skilled, no one with any boxing knowledge would doubt Mayweather's skills.
SoxNation is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 10:05 PM   #64
ThaWiseJester
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Floyd hands down.... He does not have the speed,reflexes,defense,timing,.. Some can say offense was even... Skill is natural talent,and as far as natural talent Floyd has more,doesn't mean he cant be roughed up,knocked out but focusing on the word skill...
ThaWiseJester is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 10:07 PM   #65
SoxNation
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittikasem View Post
What a douchenozzle. The guy is 1 pound out in his comment, and you keep harping on about it as if he said James Toney was white or something. Sorry if the guy doesn't carry about an encyclopedia of to-the-pound accurate fightnight weights at all times.

Him saying Mayweather was 153 instead of 152 is absolutely NOWHERE NEAR as inaccurate or downright braindead as you saying Duran did not have a special skillset. There are dungbeetles shoving balls of shit around the plains of Africa that know more about boxing than you based on that ATG nightmare statement...
What he said was completely inaccurate. He said that Mayweather weighs in at 153 pounds in his fights. That's fights plural. If you read the conversation, I never said Mayweather never weighed 152 or 153 pounds in any single fight. That guy was clearly stating that Floyd always does that and it's clear that he was wrong. My point was that Mayweather and Pacquiao weren't that different in terms of weight and he reluctantly agreed after trying to backtrack for a while.

Tell me, what was special about Duran's skill set?
Old 08-17-2012, 10:08 PM   #66
ThaWiseJester
Belt holder
ESB Addict

For people who say Duran fought everyone!! Well he did but also lost to everyone in their prime,Sugar Ray,Wilfredo Benitez,Marvin Hagler,Tommy Hearns... He is still high ATG status but stop with the "Would Floyd beat stuff" he would have at least beat one of them more than once,which even Duran did not do...
Old 08-17-2012, 10:10 PM   #67
ThaWiseJester
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
What he said was completely inaccurate. He said that Mayweather weighs in at 153 pounds in his fights. That's fights plural. If you read the conversation, I never said Mayweather never weighed 152 or 153 pounds in any single fight. That guy was clearly stating that Floyd always does that and it's clear that he was wrong. My point was that Mayweather and Pacquiao weren't that different in terms of weight and he reluctantly agreed after trying to backtrack for a while.

Tell me, what was special about Duran's skill set?
True other than great offensive fighter,what more specifically does he have better skills than Floyd at... Real comments I already see phony answers like "going to jail" etc. but I would like a real opinion and not jargon..
Old 08-17-2012, 10:13 PM   #68
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

vCash: 816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaWiseJester View Post
For people who say Duran fought everyone!! Well he did but also lost to everyone in their prime,Sugar Ray,Wilfredo Benitez,Marvin Hagler,Tommy Hearns... He is still high ATG status but stop with the "Would Floyd beat stuff" he would have at least beat one of them more than once,which even Duran did not do...
You would pick Floyd to beat Benitez, Ray Leonard, Marvin Hagler, or Tommy Hearns more than once...is that what you're stating?
turbotime is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 10:20 PM   #69
SoxNation
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
True other than great offensive fighter,what more specifically does he have better skills than Floyd at... Real comments I already see phony answers like "going to jail" etc. but I would like a real opinion and not jargon..
In their minds Duran is amazingly skilled and it can't be contested. I've seen plenty of his fights and I've never been as impressed as these guys pretend to be. I can point to him being outboxed by the likes of Leonard and Benitez, I can point out to him being stretched out in the middle of the ring against Hearns after not being able to avoid his punches or find an adequate gameplan against The Hitman and I can even point out to him moving way up in weight and going life and death against Iran Barkley, but I won't do that. Just watch the video that someone posted in this thread and see if you can see what's so spectacular about Duran's skills. I just don't see it.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:46 PM   #70
ThaWiseJester
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotime View Post
You would pick Floyd to beat Benitez, Ray Leonard, Marvin Hagler, or Tommy Hearns more than once...is that what you're stating?
Yes,I think the odds alone would favor him.. I can see him beating Benitez twice..
Old 08-17-2012, 10:49 PM   #71
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

vCash: 816

Quote:
Yes,I think the odds alone would favor him.. I can see him beating Benitez twice..
hm.
turbotime is offline  Top
Old 08-18-2012, 01:07 AM   #72
papadoc28
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Sorry but guys praised for there underrated defense don't get knocked the **** out in 2 rounds. Especially from an opponent that you should know how he's gonna fight. Duran/Hearns

And guys that are so skilled in boxing don't quit because they are getting their ears boxed off. Duran/Leonard II

Floyd is more skilled.

You may not say Floyd isn't in that elite group of fighters with the Leonards and Robinsons but you damn sure can't say that his skill set isn't right up there with their's.
papadoc28 is offline  Top
Old 08-18-2012, 01:18 AM   #73
boxon123
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
That doubt belongs to people that don't know anything about boxing. Even if you think Duran is more skilled, no one with any boxing knowledge would doubt Mayweather's skills.
You Don't understand what I said do you? We have not seen Jr with Peak best of the best. So we just don't know.
boxon123 is offline  Top
Old 08-18-2012, 01:22 AM   #74
boxon123
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadoc28 View Post
Sorry but guys praised for there underrated defense don't get knocked the **** out in 2 rounds. Especially from an opponent that you should know how he's gonna fight. Duran/Hearns

And guys that are so skilled in boxing don't quit because they are getting their ears boxed off. Duran/Leonard II

Floyd is more skilled.

You may not say Floyd isn't in that elite group of fighters with the Leonards and Robinsons but you damn sure can't say that his skill set isn't right up there with their's.
Exactly which Elite best of the best fighter has he proven it against? Skill sets get crushed under pressure. Thomas Hearns right hand anyone?
boxon123 is offline  Top
Old 08-18-2012, 01:28 AM   #75
papadoc28
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxon123 View Post
Exactly which Elite best of the best fighter has he proven it against? Skill sets get crushed under pressure. Thomas Hearns right hand anyone?
Is this thread about who is better skilled or who fought better competition?

You can't have it both ways. Start a new poll if you wanna take it there, because this thread poll speaks for itself.

And who exactly is this best of the best he has missed out on? Remember we are talking about The Best here.
papadoc28 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum