Old 08-08-2012, 09:40 AM   #16
Zopilote
Dinamita
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Re: Chavez quitting in the rematch against DLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
I am remembering something, and I'm not even sure it's the right fight. Heck, might not even be the right fighter, with my memory. I may have Bert-Sugaredly created this in my subconscious without realising it... But I seem to recall Larry Merchant talking through an interpreter to Chavez(?) after the DLH fight(?) and they go back and forth through the interpretations and then Merchant says something about "quit" and Chavez's eyes get wide and he says in plain enough English "BULLCHIT!".

...So, that's probably not helpful. I was just thinking out loud. Good day. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
You are right BE. That was after the Oscar rematch. Chavez started flipping out bigtime after the translator said "Te rajastes" which in spanish pretty much means "pussied out".
Zopilote is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2012, 09:42 AM   #17
Joe.Boxer
Chinchecker
ESB Addict

vCash: 240

The fight and interviews are all up on YouTube.
Joe.Boxer is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2012, 09:47 AM   #18
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP

vCash: 26664

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zopilote View Post
You are right BE. That was after the Oscar rematch. Chavez started flipping out bigtime after the translator said "Te rajastes" which in spanish pretty much means "pussied out".
I don't want to sound judgmental, but based on what you're telling me, that sounds like an incredibly unwise translator.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2012, 09:51 AM   #19
Zopilote
Dinamita
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
I don't want to sound judgmental, but based on what you're telling me, that sounds like an incredibly unwise translator.
I was thinking the same exact thing at the time when that happened, which i still happen to remember by the way....You say that to anyone, especially a ****in' boxer, more so one like Chavez around those times, you are guranteed to get one hell of a reaction.

Of course, im sure that wasn't his intention to deliberatly say he pussied out, he just happened to epically **** up what Merchant was saying. There are other ways he could have worded what Larry was saying, but god knows why he would decide to say that, it isn't that all hard to have worded correctly.
Zopilote is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 08:36 AM   #20
rileyjj123456
Journeyman

vCash: 1000

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCSu-iZLU5w[/ame]

This is the interview. Boy, Chavez gets mad haha
rileyjj123456 is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 11:24 AM   #21
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

I always felt that Chavez didn't exactly die on his shield in the rematch ... it was a good fight but Oscar was simply beating him up and Julio said enough .. I understand he has the right to do so but when you compare it to the heart of a Morales let's just say he did not look like he was ready to die in the ring ... ( nor should he )
he grant is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 11:41 AM   #22
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I think Merchant was well out of order there, ****ing arsehole. Any fighting man would take umbrage at a comment/question like that.
AlFrancis is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 12:02 PM   #23
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by he grant View Post
I always felt that Chavez didn't exactly die on his shield in the rematch ... it was a good fight but Oscar was simply beating him up and Julio said enough .. I understand he has the right to do so but when you compare it to the heart of a Morales let's just say he did not look like he was ready to die in the ring ... ( nor should he )
What like Morales in the 3rd fight with Manny?
Flea Man is online now  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 01:13 PM   #24
rileyjj123456
Journeyman

What like Morales in the 3rd fight with Manny?[/quote]

A bit harsh when you consider the beating Morales took in the 2nd fight. A severely weight drained Morales still gave it a go in the 3rd fight upto the point where he realised he was in over his head.
rileyjj123456 is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 01:57 PM   #25
apollack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Yeah, he quit or retired, whatever. So what? Big deal. He was old and shot and had given it his all in that fight and was spent after his last burst of energy, and a prime Oscar was nailing him with just brutal shots. I remember one particularly horrific left uppercut that badly jolted Chavez' head upward. So what if he didn't come out for the next round and get drilled. He saw the writing on the wall and called it a day. What, do we all want to see an old man get knocked into unconsciousness?
apollack is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 01:59 PM   #26
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileyjj123456 View Post
What like Morales in the 3rd fight with Manny?
A bit harsh when you consider the beating Morales took in the 2nd fight. A severely weight drained Morales still gave it a go in the 3rd fight upto the point where he realised he was in over his head.[/quote]

And Chavez was far more shopworn than El Terrible. So don't see why the original poster I quoted gives Chavez a hard time.
Flea Man is online now  Top
Old 08-18-2012, 10:47 AM   #27
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

vCash: 816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
A bit harsh when you consider the beating Morales took in the 2nd fight. A severely weight drained Morales still gave it a go in the 3rd fight upto the point where he realised he was in over his head.
And Chavez was far more shopworn than El Terrible. So don't see why the original poster I quoted gives Chavez a hard time.[/quote]

-Chavez had the better chin between Morales/Chavez and that would always see Chavez through.

and Chavez still had enough wherewithall to brawl, and Morales was worse for wear IMO due to the severity of problems making weight and not having as strong a chin.
turbotime is offline  Top
Old 08-18-2012, 03:07 PM   #28
greynotsoold
Contender
ESB Senior Member

i think that, as a fighter, there is a point, on your way up, where you will die, leave it all in the ring to get ahead. Because you are fighting for fame, for money, for a reputation, the things that drive all young men, be it in the ring, the streets or the boardroom.
Once you've got it, you fight to hold on, but age gets hold of you. Then you wind up broke, so now you are fighting for money that you used to have, but lost. So the mind set to fight to the end isn't there any more. It its like guys that swear never to be taken alive, yet surrender without firing a shot. You can't be ready to die all the time.
Now, a 27 year old Chavez, against a 27 year old DLH...well, that is a one sided beating. Chavez and Oscar are not in the same category because Oscar NEVER had a warrior mentality. He and Mosley, who never did either, proved it in their first slap fight. Now, had the Chavez that fought Castillo fought the Duran that fought Buchanon, I don't know who would have won, but neither would have ever been the same, and they might both still be hospitalized.
greynotsoold is offline  Top
Old 08-18-2012, 03:15 PM   #29
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokaj View Post
Where do you have this among the all time quit jobs?

It reminds me of Ali-Liston I, in that he was losing and taking some good licks but certainly not getting beat down yet. But Liston actually came out with an X-ray to prove his injury. In Chavez' case it seems almost like a worse, and more befuddling, quit job.

Did Chavez blame injuries or anything like that? What was his explanation?
I guess I would place it alongside of arguello or Morales....But I am not big on the word quit, quitting, quitter as many use it to simply denigrate a boxer to further their arguments. Not very many championship level fighter I attribute quitter, scared and ducking to, but it seems I am in the minority.
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum