Old 08-19-2012, 09:10 AM   #121
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330
Default Re: Top Five Greatest Fighters Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittikasem View Post
A title win, 3 defences, and a stoppage loss = strong achievement???

I don't think so.

You are rating Hearns at welterweight on the basis of Hearns as the fighter he proved to be through all weight classes across his whole career, which is bogus IMO.

Well, either that or you're rating him as a proven great welterweight because of one win over a top guy, 3 wins over mediocrities, and a stoppage loss he looked good in. This is a very dangerous road to go down - where does it end?

Is Manny Pacquiao a proven great light-welterweight because he obliterated one of the best lww's of his era there?

You have to draw a line between 'looking good there' and proving good there. Hearns was an h2h monster at ww and fully merits recognition as such. But he simply did not prove to be a great welterweight in the same way as many others who had many more meaningful wins there.
he proved himself to be the second best of the Leonard era which is a massive achievement in it's own. he destroyed a hof fighter in one of the best performances the division has ever seen. he built a reputation as one of the best fighters to weigh within 147.

his resume isn't piss poor neither: Cuevas, Finch, Gray, Weston, Curry, Muangsurin, Espada, Primera, Shields - Leonard (L).

all in all I have him number 19 as a WW.

Jones Jr breaks my top 10 as a LHW also.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2012, 10:00 AM   #122
Kittikasem
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
he proved himself to be the second best of the Leonard era which is a massive achievement in it's own
This is just hyperbole. It is not a "massive" achievement to beat Cuevas and a couple of routine challengers. Come on. In a discussion of the greatest ww's ever, that obviously isn't a "massive" achievement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
all in all I have him number 19 as a WW.
Well, that seems fair enough to me. Not sure if I'd have him that high as have never bothered to make a top 20 or so for ww, but that doesn't seem too outlandish. His win over Cuevas was excellent, his performance against Leonard showed some considerable skill, and he was convincing in his ww title defences, few that there were.
Kittikasem is offline  Top
Old 08-19-2012, 05:17 PM   #123
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittikasem View Post
This is just hyperbole. It is not a "massive" achievement to beat Cuevas and a couple of routine challengers. Come on. In a discussion of the greatest ww's ever, that obviously isn't a "massive" achievement.

Well, that seems fair enough to me. Not sure if I'd have him that high as have never bothered to make a top 20 or so for ww, but that doesn't seem too outlandish. His win over Cuevas was excellent, his performance against Leonard showed some considerable skill, and he was convincing in his ww title defences, few that there were.
well our definition of massive differs obviously

it's good the subjective nature of our sport, the way two people can see the exact same things yet see something totally different
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 08-19-2012, 05:54 PM   #124
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

vCash: 816

Safest bets against peers or other atgs :

Ray Robinson
Roy Jones
Ray Leonard
Cassius Clay
Pernell Whitaker
turbotime is offline  Top
Old 08-19-2012, 08:56 PM   #125
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP

vCash: 1200

Glad to see Fitzsimmons back to being overrated. Armstrong has an argument as the GOAT, let alone top 5. Charles, Benny Leonard, & possibly Pep all have better arguments to be ranked ahead of Louis and Fitzsimmons IMO. I'll respect those that disagree strongly on the latter. Actually, I'd probably rank Mickey Walker ahead of Louis.

I think Vic is right in that Joe Gans gets overlooked far too often. I'm not sure he's top five but he certainly isn't rated in enough peoples top 10 or 15's. I feel similarly about Benny Leonard too.
PetethePrince is offline  Top
Old 08-19-2012, 08:57 PM   #126
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
All factors included, pound for pound, record, legacy... all of it.

Harry Greb
Sam Langford
Sugar Ray Robinson
Robert Fitzsimmons
Joe Louis

Who else can the argument be made for to fit into this utmost top echelon. Armstrong comes to mind but a relatively short prime hinders him just enough. Ali certainly has a case. Duran has a case in my mind but again comes up just short. I don't think the dust has settled enough on the fighter of the past 20 or 30 years to properly place them but I suspect none qualify to threaten anyone in this group.

Thoughts?
It's a great list ...

Langford to me is tops on any
Greb
Robinson
Fitz
Charles
Gans
Johnson
Ali
Louis
Leonard
he grant is offline  Top
Old 08-19-2012, 09:12 PM   #127
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

vCash: 816

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetethePrince View Post
Glad to see Fitzsimmons back to being overrated. Armstrong has an argument as the GOAT, let alone top 5. Charles, Benny Leonard, & possibly Pep all have better arguments to be ranked ahead of Louis and Fitzsimmons IMO. I'll respect those that disagree strongly on the latter. Actually, I'd probably rank Mickey Walker ahead of Louis.

I think Vic is right in that Joe Gans gets overlooked far too often. I'm not sure he's top five but he certainly isn't rated in enough peoples top 10 or 15's. I feel similarly about Benny Leonard too.
PTP!
turbotime is offline  Top
Old 08-19-2012, 09:29 PM   #128
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

Hearns was matched very competitively on the way up at Welter.He cleaned out most of the fading-but still decent-former top contenders\fringe contenders\prospects, top ten men and some fighters from 140 that you would expect a prospect to be matched with.

Definitely true he's more of a h2h man that someone who gets in from fighting a whole era's worth of Welters.Leonard and Duran are the same.
lora is offline  Top
Old 08-19-2012, 10:25 PM   #129
El-Mafioso
Journeyman

1. Duran
2. Ray Robinson
El-Mafioso is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum