Matty lll
Sweet Scientist
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Muay Thai: Technique Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by boranbkk View Post
Hey Matty.

What I mean when I say “one strike power at the right target at the right time” I’m not talking in the sense of a classical martial artist like karate guy or KF guy who is delivering a one of concentrated technique. It’s more constant strikes being thrown as in boxing except everything that is thrown is thrown with nasty finishing intent aimed at a perceived opening. Pre drilled combos kinda work in boxing cos the target area is very small and you’re only using two weapons so predicted openings can be pretty accurately guessed hence “the sweet science” moniker, but in MT to many variables to predict regular openings and weakness in defences. If you train in combos you’ll fight in combos and that opens you up to being countered quite easily in MT. The first rule of MT only throw it if you mean it!

Here are some examples of some typical pad work and bag work. Everything is thrown to focus on power and good technique not to premeditate combos for the ring. Infact, the little guy on the bag is being quite adventurous, very often bag work consists of guys kicking exactly the same spot on the bag with the same leg round after round after round after round after round after round……………!

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Interms of the setting up and laying of traps PIRA said it pretty well:

What I was taught was that way is "staying in the pocket" and using the higher skills of MT evasion, timing, catching and checking to "invite" your opponent to throw something and makes him look foolish and clumsy with a miss - capping it off by landing something better.”

Muay Thai in Thailand is a very “tit for tat” style of fighting, ever wonder what was happening in rd 5 of what you thought was a close fight when the seemingly stronger fighter just suddenly shuts up shop and then the weaker fighter goes on the rampage? Just as PIRA said a better strike was landed by the guy in red so now the guy in blue has to and something juicer, so the guy in red has to do everything in his power to avoid it and only counter if the blue guy lands the shot, tennis anyone?

About training in Thailand……..do it! It’ll be one of the highlights of your fighting life and maybe your civilian life to. Plenty of opportunity to train in western boxing to. Here’s a link from a while back about boxing training in Thailand from th Brit forum:

I totally agree. One of the main reasons I struggle to watch heavyweight MT, I've always felt its a sport for little guys. Of course you can get some great heavies but they tend to be very rare gems in a giant stacks of coals.
I see, interesting stuff Boran.

And I didn't even know they had HW Muay Thai, surely there's not many HW Thais?
Matty lll is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2012, 05:31 AM   #32
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Kind words, thanks mate.
Brilliant stuff

Its these type of posts / threads that keep me coming onto this forum , you literally put the rest of us to shame , be cool m8
thewinfella is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 06:19 AM   #33
boranbkk
"ไม่ได้โม้นะ"
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty lll View Post
I see, interesting stuff Boran.

And I didn't even know they had HW Muay Thai, surely there's not many HW Thais?
Thai HW fighter's rarer than four leaf clovers!

Most of the big names in HW K-1 came out of an MT background, Hoost, Aerts, Hari, Smith, Longinidis. It's very rare a HW has the atheletc ability and coordination with his size to become a fluent MT fighter, so hence the HW MT scene is a full of ugly mismatches with almost novice techniques, however out of all the muck a few quality fighters rise to the top and tend to do very well as in K-1 etc.etc. but the quality pool is and always will reamin small.
boranbkk is offline  Top
Old 08-18-2012, 09:15 AM   #34
boranbkk
"ไม่ได้โม้นะ"
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekcutnevets View Post

What do you think of this? Does he leave out anything important. I would like to know, percentage wise, how much weight goes on each foot. Should it be 50/50, or should it be more like 60% on the rear leg and 40% on the lead leg?
Quote:
Yep, MT footwork 101 for beginners, I learnt the same way myself. They didn't leave anything out in terms of footwork but they are very basic demos for entry level. What you have to consider is that you don't move around nearly as much as that or in that manner in a real MT fight and once you start introducing more adavanced defensive techniques like to lift your front leg often, teaching the fighter how to defend with arms pushed out against the knee etc etc etc you'll find the weight balance is more 60% to 70% on your backfoot, a tree to give you a solid platform to fight off.

Good examples of basic solid MT footwork which also helps give the novice fighter his first taste his own rythem and tempo.
boranbkk is offline  Top
Old 08-18-2012, 10:04 PM   #35
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Yep, MT footwork 101 for beginners, I learnt the same way myself. They didn't leave anything out in terms of footwork but they are very basic demos for entry level. What you have to consider is that you don't move around nearly as much as that or in that manner in a real MT fight and once you start introducing more adavanced defensive techniques like to lift your front leg often, teaching the fighter how to defend with arms pushed out against the knee etc etc etc you'll find the weight balance is more 60% to 70% on your backfoot, a tree to give you a solid platform to fight off.

Good examples of basic solid MT footwork which also helps give the novice fighter his first taste his own rythem and tempo.
You are going to have to start charging for your posts.

I found a few videos if you want to review them.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruZ7eeThQsk&list=UUhNeo8xHV9m3Ad4um_iHEOQ&index=3&feature=plcp[/ame]

This is the video that led to his follow-up posted above:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2POFH8J8-I[/ame]

Is this correct? I've always heard the spin makes you turn around because you committed to it, and didn't hit anything.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiMnAM3fmZ4[/ame]

How is she doing?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6h-eM7Kv0I[/ame]
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 08-19-2012, 05:29 PM   #36
boranbkk
"ไม่ได้โม้นะ"
ESB Addict

As we were talking about elbows in combos, well here is the very very very rare occasion it works out and it's only cos the guy throwing the elbow is Thailand's current P4P king Saenchai and he's throwing it against a totally outclassed Chinese guy in way over his head! Saenchai it litreally playing and toying with this guy until he decided he needed to get back to BKK in hurry nad called time on the fight!

Happened yeasterday on a big card in China.

It's a peach! @ around 5.55

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=StsN0mor2S0[/ame]
boranbkk is offline  Top
Old 08-19-2012, 06:26 PM   #37
boranbkk
"ไม่ได้โม้นะ"
ESB Addict

Quote:
You are going to have to start charging for your posts.

I found a few videos if you want to review them.

This is the video that led to his follow-up posted above:

Is this correct? I've always heard the spin makes you turn around because you committed to it, and didn't hit anything.

How is she doing?

Come on Rev, if you want me to comment give me Thais or at least top flight foreigners!

No offence to our American cousins who I have the utmost affection and respect for, but let's just say the States has never been a hotbed of Muay Thai talent let alone of gyms teaching "authentic" training and technique!
boranbkk is offline  Top
Old 08-20-2012, 03:18 AM   #38
yaca you
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
As we were talking about elbows in combos, well here is the very very very rare occasion it works out and it's only cos the guy throwing the elbow is Thailand's current P4P king Saenchai and he's throwing it against a totally outclassed Chinese guy in way over his head! Saenchai it litreally playing and toying with this guy until he decided he needed to get back to BKK in hurry nad called time on the fight!

Happened yeasterday on a big card in China.

It's a peach! @ around 5.55

thanks for that Boran, Seanchai was killer with that elbow. didnt even know about this fight.
yaca you is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2012, 08:52 PM   #39
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

Quote:
Come on Rev, if you want me to comment give me Thais or at least top flight foreigners!

No offence to our American cousins who I have the utmost affection and respect for, but let's just say the States has never been a hotbed of Muay Thai talent let alone of gyms teaching "authentic" training and technique!
Fair enough.

I was looking for some basic fundamentals for throwing the roundhouse kick, and those were some of the first few to show up. I tried to find an instructional video, on the roundhouse kick, from the same people who made the stance and footwork videos. I couldn't, but I did find several other instructional videos from them. I'll post those later in the thread, but don't think that I'm expecting you to comment on all of them. I would love it if you did, but the main purpose is to keep the thread going.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:56 PM   #40
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

Teep Basics

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC_GONodYa4[/ame]
Old 08-22-2012, 09:02 PM   #41
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

The Jab:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8qZWYQUMFQ[/ame]

The jab is a technique that I am familiar with. People often, and correctly, tell others the importance of driving off the back foot. The part they leave out is landing the jab while the front foot is off the floor. This way you get more of the weight transfer into the punch. The jab is unique because this is the only punch that works that way. Every other punch, you push off with the same foot you are punching with. The jab is the only punch in which you push off with the opposite side.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:06 PM   #42
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

Swinging Elbow

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq9x8nIBZWY[/ame]
Old 08-22-2012, 09:22 PM   #43
rekcutnevets