Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-19-2012, 07:11 PM   #31
SportsLeader
Chilling
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: Junior Jones vs Marco Antonio Barrera..Why did Barerra get beat like that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Jones was world class, his straight punches and speed and movement was too much for Barrera, much like Pacquaio would be too much for him years later.

If only Junior Jones had the chin or a more defensive style he'd have been 1 of the best ever, he really was that talented.
His stamina let him down aswell.

I don't think he would have been the best ever by any means though, reckon you're stretching it there mate. I'm a massive Jones fan but there were more flaws to him than meets the eye, he faded in and out of fights far too much, he went completely missing in the middle rounds vs Julio and Johnson, seeming tentative and jittery which shows maybe a lacking in focus and concentration in the ring for me. That's compounded my the fact his jab faded far to quickly, his jab is never the same after the early rounds, where it looks deadly, Poison loses his range very quickly I think, his jab stalls falling short in a habitual manner after the first few rounds.

He only fought 4-5 really top quality fighters, it's hard to gauge how good he could have been I think.
SportsLeader is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2012, 07:15 PM   #32
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

vCash: 816
Default Re: Junior Jones vs Marco Antonio Barrera..Why did Barerra get beat like that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsLeader View Post

I don't think he would have been the best ever by any means though, reckon you're stretching it there mate. I'm a massive Jones fan but there were more flaws to him than meets the eye, he faded in and out of fights far too much, he went completely missing in the middle rounds vs Julio and Johnson, seeming tentative and jittery which shows maybe a lacking in focus and concentration in the ring for me. That's compounded my the fact his jab faded far to quickly, his jab is never the same after the early rounds, where it looks deadly, Poison loses his range very quickly I think, his jab stalls falling short in a habitual manner after the first few rounds.

He only fought 4-5 really top quality fighters, it's hard to gauge how good he could have been I think.
I'm sure you've seen Jones vs Paul Ingle? Cracking ****ing fight for the title
turbotime is offline  Top
Old 08-19-2012, 07:18 PM   #33
SportsLeader
Chilling
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotime View Post
I'm sure you've seen Jones vs Paul Ingle? Cracking ****ing fight for the title
Yeah it's a good one for sure.

Have you seen Jones/Evatt? That's another excellent fight, might just be his most exciting encounter although he was past it.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:22 PM   #34
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

vCash: 816

Quote:

Have you seen Jones/Evatt? That's another excellent fight, might just be his most exciting encounter although he was past it.
Damn right I have. Jones was a thrilling fighter. Reminded me of Corrales. Good boxer, great power, but chinny and would always get in a war.

McKinney/Jones was another crazy fight.
turbotime is offline  Top
Old 08-19-2012, 07:26 PM   #35
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

Jones was a borderline great fighter full of flaws. In the first match he and Barrera clash heads and Barrera gets pissed and gets caught with a perfect right hand, which for all intents and purposes ended the fight.
LittleRed is offline  Top
Old 08-19-2012, 07:48 PM   #36
SportsLeader
Chilling
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotime View Post
Damn right I have. Jones was a thrilling fighter. Reminded me of Corrales. Good boxer, great power, but chinny and would always get in a war.

McKinney/Jones was another crazy fight.
Mckinney/Jones is boss. I feel Jones's pain in that one, losing on his birthday, to his amateur rival, after battering him for most of what was an admittedly short contest!
Old 08-19-2012, 08:10 PM   #37
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner View Post
Dont need to be guessing princess.

you want to know who i am dont you fruitcake.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Haha you're avi deceived, but I somewaht remembered you for the low class irrational fan of Mexiscum you are But please tell us how Barrera getting his ass beat deserved the decision against Jones again
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 08-19-2012, 08:13 PM   #38
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

The REAL MAB hadn't quite arrived at the time of the two Jones fights. The version that beat Morales and Hamed would have been too much for Junior. It's like carping about Emile Griffith's 1 round ko loss to Rubin Carter...the version of Griffith who beat Dick Tiger would have avenged that defeat...same with Barrera vs Jones.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 08-19-2012, 08:14 PM   #39
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:

Good points there SL, the fight against MkKiney though for me was the ultimate example of how 1 fighter completely superior to another, can lose because his chin just isn't right

Maybe he just wasn't relaxed enough in the ring, which saw him fade?

Quote:

Was he actually ever in a bad fight?
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 08-19-2012, 08:37 PM   #40
SportsLeader
Chilling
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Good points there SL, the fight against MkKiney though for me was the ultimate example of how 1 fighter completely superior to another, can lose because his chin just isn't right

Maybe he just wasn't relaxed enough in the ring, which saw him fade?
I agree totally on that, with an improved chin he definitely would have been an excellent all round fighter and there would be a significant number of 'L's erased from his record .

I think the not being relaxes was the root of alot of Jones's problems.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:12 PM   #41
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

@Powepuncher....the decision might just mean Barrera couldnt knock him out
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Old 08-19-2012, 09:21 PM   #42
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

I don't think MAB could ever have beat Jones with the toned down, lower workrate. more boxing focused style he used circa Hamed to Pac.

He'd always have a chance if he went for it like he did in the first MOrales fight, maybe even wins more often than not but he DID fight like that in the first fight against Junior and got starched, it's not like he was a novice in there.he was about 6 or 7 years into his career.
lora is offline  Top
Old 08-20-2012, 12:36 AM   #43
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

@Powepuncher...from what ive seen he's never been in a bad fight..But I dont think stamina was the issue that night
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum