Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2012, 07:29 PM   #1
suriamarsuli
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 81
vCash: 500
Default Classic boxer that couldn't fight on the back foot

List some fighters that cannot fight backwards.
suriamarsuli is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2012, 07:34 PM   #2
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 8,697
vCash: 1166
Default Re: Classic boxer that couldn't fight on the back foot


Tyson..
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:29 PM   #3
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,005
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Classic boxer that couldn't fight on the back foot

Tyson, Marciano, Tua,
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:37 PM   #4
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,540
vCash: 500
Default Re: Classic boxer that couldn't fight on the back foot

yeah, some classic boxer Tua was.


If you're talking fighters with strong overall textbook skills, it tends to be the offensive beasts that naturally fall into a seek and destroy mode who struggle.

Leonard might be the most high profile "slick" boxer-puncher i can think of who never really demonstrated an ability to fight on the slow retreat\turning fighters, only taking a lateral step\pivot or two when dictating range.

He really needed to be planted to get his punches off and tended to disengage entirely when employing movement.
lora is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:25 PM   #5
natonic
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,746
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Classic boxer that couldn't fight on the back foot

I think of Arguello and Zarate.
natonic is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:09 PM   #6
ripcity
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
Posts: 10,216
vCash: 606
Default Re: Classic boxer that couldn't fight on the back foot

When I saw the tittle "Classic boxer that couldn't fight on the back foot". I thought to myself isn't that what a classic boxer dose?
ripcity is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:15 AM   #7
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 14,720
vCash: 121
Default Re: Classic boxer that couldn't fight on the back foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post
yeah, some classic boxer Tua was.


If you're talking fighters with strong overall textbook skills, it tends to be the offensive beasts that naturally fall into a seek and destroy mode who struggle.

Leonard might be the most high profile "slick" boxer-puncher i can think of who never really demonstrated an ability to fight on the slow retreat\turning fighters, only taking a lateral step\pivot or two when dictating range.

He really needed to be planted to get his punches off and tended to disengage entirely when employing movement.
This is generally true, but don't you think he became much more fluid at sticking and moving towards the end of his career? His use of straight punches while pivoting out was excellent against Lalonde. Not that that qualifies as a "backfoot" game, which I agree he never really employed.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:18 AM   #8
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 8,697
vCash: 1166
Default Re: Classic boxer that couldn't fight on the back foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post
yeah, some classic boxer Tua was.
I read that wrong too.....I thought by boxer he meant only a boxing fighter
, not boxer the style.....
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:37 AM   #9
DaveK
Vicious & Malicious
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,820
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Classic boxer that couldn't fight on the back foot

Trinidad had trouble fighting going backwards, he was much better going forwards.

Same with Rosario, although I wouldn't call him a "boxer"...
DaveK is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:06 AM   #10
Longhhorn71
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,593
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Classic boxer that couldn't fight on the back foot

Norton...... and Frazier tried to box in Foreman Fight 2.....but ended up heading to the canvas anyway.
Longhhorn71 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:31 AM   #11
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 7,550
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Classic boxer that couldn't fight on the back foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
Trinidad had trouble fighting going backwards, he was much better going forwards.

Same with Rosario, although I wouldn't call him a "boxer"...
Trinidad, a classic puncher though......Not a classic boxer.
Robbi is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:42 PM   #12
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,540
vCash: 500
Default Re: Classic boxer that couldn't fight on the back foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
This is generally true, but don't you think he became much more fluid at sticking and moving towards the end of his career? His use of straight punches while pivoting out was excellent against Lalonde. Not that that qualifies as a "backfoot" game, which I agree he never really employed.

He was better against Hearns in the rematch as well for economical movement.

I think with how major those fights with Duran, Hearns and Hagler were..and how good the fighters were he was taking on(especially Hagler where he was a disadvantage in size and activity level\fitness having been retired) played a part in him opting to play it safer than maybe was really needed and likely did him a slight injustice technically.Winning at all costs being more important.

With less pressure he was much more economical.
lora is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:55 PM   #13
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,174
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Classic boxer that couldn't fight on the back foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post
He was better against Hearns in the rematch as well for economical movement.

I think with how major those fights with Duran, Hearns and Hagler were..and how good the fighters were he was taking on(especially Hagler where he was a disadvantage in size and activity level\fitness having been retired) played a part in him opting to play it safer than maybe was really needed and likely did him a slight injustice technically.Winning at all costs being more important.

With less pressure he was much more economical.
I think you may be right. I liked his movement much more in the third Duran fight, where Duran was too old and slow to put on real pressure, than in the second, for example.

In his prime, I remember his fight against Green as one where he had relatively nice movement.

As for the thread, most have already been mentioned, but Louis?
Bokaj is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:57 PM   #14
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,174
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Classic boxer that couldn't fight on the back foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhhorn71 View Post
Norton...... and Frazier tried to box in Foreman Fight 2.....but ended up heading to the canvas anyway.
Think Joe did it well for as long as it lasted, though. As well as being shot at that point he just didn't have the physical dimensions to outbox George. So all things considered, I think Joe boxed very nicely on the back foot in that one.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:42 AM   #15
suriamarsuli
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 81
vCash: 500
Default Re: Classic boxer that couldn't fight on the back foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcity View Post
When I saw the tittle "Classic boxer that couldn't fight on the back foot". I thought to myself isn't that what a classic boxer dose?
suriamarsuli is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013