Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 08-21-2012, 10:54 AM   #1
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

vCash: 500
Thumbs up British Boxing Gold (Thompson vs Eubank I)

Anyone who reads my posts must notice i like to harp back to 90's and early noughties. My boxing childhood was brilliant, Firstly brought up on Big Fight Live on ITV. The theme to this day gets me amped. It's the best boxing theme i've heard.

Then when i was lucky enough to get Sky i would sit back on a saturday night and be entertained by some of Britain's finest warriors on domestic stage to world scene.

This thread will be for cracking fights involving British fighters, doesn't have to be a British fight. Just has to have a British warrior waging war upon his foe.

Today we start with one of the greatest battles of my childhood, my hero Chris Eubank stepping up to Cruiserweight after his loss to Joe Calzaghe at SMW. A massive jump in weight to face ''The Cat'' Carl Thompson in his first defence of his WBO title he won in Germany against Ralf Rocchigiani in a rematch of there first bout years before at the then called G-Mex in Manchester.

People wondered what Eubank had left, could he jump effectively up to Cruiser. Many wondered if ''Simply the Best'' would be facing his final show against a hungry Cat in Thompson.

Well what happened that night Nynex in Manchester was unforgettable domestic battle. A undercard bout that left the Mancunian faithful drained a back and forth battle.

Post your thoughts and scorecards.

Saturday 18 April 1998
Carl Thompson vs Chris Eubank I

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6xYrMnV7hw[/ame]
SkillspayBills is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2012, 11:15 AM   #2
SteelTownCobra
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 100
Default Re: British Boxing Gold

Eubank should have won by KO.

Can't remember which round it is, one of the later ones, Eubank lands one or two big punches on Thompson and almost has him out on his feet. He then stops and looks at him for a second, instead of following up and finishing the job.

Forgive me for being a bit vague, it's been a while since I saw this.

Great fight though
SteelTownCobra is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2012, 11:21 AM   #3
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Default Re: British Boxing Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTownCobra View Post
Eubank should have won by KO.

Can't remember which round it is, one of the later ones, Eubank lands one or two big punches on Thompson and almost has him out on his feet. He then stops and looks at him for a second, instead of following up and finishing the job.

Forgive me for being a bit vague, it's been a while since I saw this.

Great fight though
Round II i think you mean, Your right he stands off, stares at Thompson and watches him on ropes.

Later in the fight Thompson pretends to be hurt or was hurt, he said he pretended to. He'd go to ropes and do a little wobble, Eubank wouldn't risk it and it cost him..
Old 08-21-2012, 11:49 AM   #4
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Default Re: British Boxing Gold (Thompson vs Eubank I)

Francis didn't like Eubank in this fight did he?. Eubank throws to nice body punches and he pulls him. Soon as he clinched he shouted at him, seemed like he had issue with him. Maybe the Watson fight?. Just notice it watching it back.

Thompson so, so fragile yet so dangerous!.

I'm into round 8, I've got it 67-66 for Eubank.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:54 AM   #5
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Round 8, Darke ''They are bearing there souls''. My word what a round that was!! back and forth. Eubank looked on verge of being stopped, Francis looking concerned by his tiredness and the punches to head. Eubank roars back each time Thompson has success. Then hits Thompson with a short left hook that sends Thompson onto ropes staggering. Personally for me that's a KD. Thompson held the ropes to stay up as his legs betrayed him for that moment.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:21 PM   #6
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Felt Thompson edged it by one, Eubank just let it slip in the championship rounds. Think tiredness and the swollen eye. Thompson took advantage and let the right hand go numerous times and it took him home to retaining his title.

Hope to see more replies when i log back on later.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #7
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Bumping for the Evening Crew . Enjoy .

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum