Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 08-22-2012, 02:58 PM   #1
Kittikasem
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Aldo vs Edgar - UFC's best fight since GSP vs Penn II?

I think so.

Aldo is in most peoples' p4p top 5, and if you include the WEC title he has reigned at fw since '09, going 6-0 since then.

Many people (not me, but many) think Edgar should still be the UFC lw champion, but either way he has proved to be a very high-level operator in his fights with Penn, Maynard and Henderson.

When was the last time two more decorated, more complete fighters met in the UFC?

Jones vs Shogun was a top fight, but Jones was only a contender then, whereas Aldo and Edgar are already championship calibre. Cain vs JDS was big, but again, JDS had no title pedigree at that time. Silva vs Sonnen II was a very high-profile fight, but IMO Sonnen is not on the Aldo/Edgar quality level, he's just a very effective mw wrestler.

Is Aldo vs Edgar a UFC superfight, the 2012 equivalent of GSP vs Penn?

I can't wait for this fight, expect it to be an absolute classic.
Kittikasem is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2012, 03:03 PM   #2
BewareofDawg
P4P Champ
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Aldo vs Edgar - UFC's best fight since GSP vs Penn II?

It's a big fight. Edgar doesn't have the charisma of a "star" though. He is kinda "just there". And also, I think Aldo is going to destroy him. Edgar's entire game now is based on his footwork and his in-and-out striking. Aldo is quicker on his feet than him, and MUCH more dynamic of a striker. This is a horrible matchup for Edgar.
BewareofDawg is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2012, 03:03 PM   #3
benebox
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 75

Best fight I can remember in a long time
benebox is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2012, 03:08 PM   #4
Kittikasem
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BewareofDawg View Post
It's a big fight. Edgar doesn't have the charisma of a "star" though. He is kinda "just there". And also, I think Aldo is going to destroy him. Edgar's entire game now is based on his footwork and his in-and-out striking. Aldo is quicker on his feet than him, and MUCH more dynamic of a striker. This is a horrible matchup for Edgar.
Rationally/logically, I agree with you.

And yet, Aldo wasn't particularly emphatic or dominant or impressive against Hominick and Florian.

And IMO, Edgar is much better than both Hominick and Florian.

I think this will be a real battle.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:08 PM   #5
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 847

It's a big fight, but Edgar will really have his hands full. Aldo is a stylistic nightmare for him.
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2012, 03:21 PM   #6
Wilhelm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Edgar isn't going to sit there and get kicked like Faber did, and he moves much better than guys like Florian. I can see him landing and getting out before Aldo and get his kicks in and I see him taking Aldo down here and there, particularly late in the fight when Aldo seems to fade. I don't think this is that bad of a matchup for Edgar since we haven't seen Aldo fight anyone who can do what Edgar does as well as Edgar can do it.
Wilhelm is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2012, 03:33 PM   #7
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittikasem View Post
Rationally/logically, I agree with you.

And yet, Aldo wasn't particularly emphatic or dominant or impressive against Hominick and Florian.

And IMO, Edgar is much better than both Hominick and Florian.

I think this will be a real battle.
It's not about who is better. He also fights with a much different style. Florian tried to push Aldo against the cage, and use his size to wear down the smaller fighter.

Hominick is a stand-up fighter with a more varied arsenal than Edgar.

Edgar will have to fight this fight differently than in any of the previous 8-10 fights I have seen him in. Otherwise, he will get destroyed. Aldo will take every bit of movement, fight, and chance Edgar has away from him by busting up Edgar's lead leg if Edgar tries to fight in what has become his typical style.

I'm not saying Edgar can't adjust. How many times have we seen him on the brink of destruction to come roaring back? If he can adjust mid-fight, I'm sure he can adjust with a full training camp.

Edgar will have to be the aggressor against Aldo in order to win. Edgar will have to force the take down the entire fight, and avoid the big strikes of Aldo at the same time. Anything else, and he is just waiting to get finished.

I'm intrigued by the match-up. Edgar is a former Division I wrestler with some big time mma slams. I picked Edgar over Sherk a few years ago, and have only picked against him when he went against Penn. Aldo would be my favorite at this moment, but Edgar will not surprise me if he finds a way.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2012, 03:49 PM   #8
BewareofDawg
P4P Champ
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhelm View Post
Edgar isn't going to sit there and get kicked like Faber did, and he moves much better than guys like Florian. I can see him landing and getting out before Aldo and get his kicks in and I see him taking Aldo down here and there, particularly late in the fight when Aldo seems to fade. I don't think this is that bad of a matchup for Edgar since we haven't seen Aldo fight anyone who can do what Edgar does as well as Edgar can do it.
You are grossly underestimating Aldo's speed and explosiveness.

Henderson beat up Edgar's leg in the 1st round and Henderson isn't even close, not even in the same universe as Aldo when it comes to speed.

Hominick is a very good striker, and Aldo was hitting him with left hook to the body, right leg kick combinations all night long. That is INSANE!! And it takes insane footwork and speed to do.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:57 PM   #9
SouthpawSlayer
Im coming for you
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

cant wait to see edgar get ****ed up and sent back to 155
SouthpawSlayer is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2012, 04:01 PM   #10
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Edgar won't have a speed advantage over the (majority of) guys at 145 like he did at 155.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:03 PM   #11
Kittikasem
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Floyd View Post
Edgar won't have a speed advantage over the (majority of) guys at 145 like he did at 155.
He'll have a considerable strength advantage though. Edgar competed very well in the grappling department against very big, strong lightweights like Maynard and Henderson. I can see him throwing, dominating, controlling and basically manhandling guys at featherweight.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:09 PM   #12
BewareofDawg
P4P Champ
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittikasem View Post
He'll have a considerable strength advantage though. Edgar competed very well in the grappling department against very big, strong lightweights like Maynard and Henderson. I can see him throwing, dominating, controlling and basically manhandling guys at featherweight.
Dude, I wouldn't be so confident that he will have a strength advantage over everyone down there either. It remains to be seen. He isn't bigger than all guys down there. Aldo is a beast and will probably weight more than Frankie. Mendes is a beast also, not sure Frankie can out-wrestle him.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:11 PM   #13
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I would pick Edgar over Mendes. That would actually be a great fight. I know that KZ wants to welcome him to FW, but I would almost prefer a Mendes fight.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:13 PM   #14
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BewareofDawg View Post
Dude, I wouldn't be so confident that he will have a strength advantage over everyone down there either. It remains to be seen. He isn't bigger than all guys down there. Aldo is a beast and will probably weight more than Frankie. Mendes is a beast also, not sure Frankie can out-wrestle him.
I think he will have a strength advantage over most, and would expect him to deal with Mendes as though he were a small Maynard.

His problem is going to be whether or not he can close the distance on Aldo without eating something big, and do it before Aldo chops his lead leg out from under him. I'm not saying Edgar can't learn to check Aldo's kick, but it's going to be hard; and it will take away a lot of his movement because he won't be able to put as much weight on his front leg if he is looking to check.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2012, 04:25 PM   #15
Wilhelm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Floyd View Post
This is true. Always the risk when moving down.
Wilhelm is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum