Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 08-23-2012, 04:33 PM   #46
Kittikasem
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Ufc 151 officially cancelled

I can't really be bothered arguing about it, but I don't really understand those defending Jones here. Hendo and Sonnen are quite similar, except Sonnen is far less dangerous on the feet. Basically, Sonnen is a significantly easier fight for Jones, but even then it's not a particularly radical change anyway. CS and DH are about the same size, good takedowns, except Hendo has KO power and Sonnen doesn't.

Jones was offered the choice of shutting Sonnen's mouth in brutal public fashion, whilst simultaneously respecting the fans who'd paid their money and the other fighters on the card, or cancelling the whole card for a reason not clear to anyone, simply because he could do so.

He chose the latter. As I say, do not understand anyone defending this selfish, contrary course of action at all. Indefensible, really.
Kittikasem is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2012, 04:36 PM   #47
Peter__1987

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittikasem View Post
I can't really be bothered arguing about it, but I don't really understand those defending Jones here. Hendo and Sonnen are quite similar, except Sonnen is far less dangerous on the feet. Basically, Sonnen is a significantly easier fight for Jones, but even then it's not a particularly radical change anyway. CS and DH are about the same size, good takedowns, except Hendo has KO power and Sonnen doesn't.

Jones was offered the choice of shutting Sonnen's mouth in brutal public fashion, whilst simultaneously respecting the fans who'd paid their money and the other fighters on the card, or cancelling the whole card for a reason not clear to anyone, simply because he could do so.

He chose the latter. As I say, do not understand anyone defending this selfish, contrary course of action at all. Indefensible, really.
This was a much more mature, well thought out version of what i intended to say.

I agree with everything you said 100%

Champions don't turn down fights, it's simple as that.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:37 PM   #48
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 847

I'm not so much defending Jones as I am criticizing Dana White for putting all the blame for the card cancellation on Jones. He/Zuffa are taking no responsibility at all. They were 100% counting on the main event to pull through, but it didn't work out that way. Typically, that's why there are at least two sellable fights on a PPV, but not this time. What would have happened if both Jones and Hendo were injured? They would have had to cancel.
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 04:41 PM   #49
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
Didn't take long for him to turn on Jones. What a douche.
You're right scurla. What Dana should have done, is be pleased that Jones killed the card by refusing to fight. Dana should have released a statement where he kissed Jones' ass, said that Machida was a better opponent anyway, and pretended that the cancellation was a good thing.

Injuries happen, that's an unfortunate part of the sport.

Jones can take an easy defence (that will still pay him well) vs an undeserving big-name guy who is the same base style as Henderson but who is undersized, not really in shape, and has virtually no chance to win.

Or, Jones can crash the entire card. **** the millions of dollars the UFC has already spent to set up and promote this card. **** the dozen or more fighters on the card who don't have Nike deals and who were relying on the paycheck.

Still, since you're not happy with Dana being mad and saying so, what should Dana's response have been?

Dana publicly kisses Jones' ass - would that have been better?

Dana mad in private but releases public statement backing Jones' decision - would that have been better?

Dana mad as hell, thinks Jones made a selfish decision, and says so in public and private - what the **** is wrong with that?

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 04:43 PM   #50
Peter__1987

vCash:

The UFC need to send an SOS to Curitiba, Brazil and find out how many 0's need to be on that cheque for Anderson to step up and put this guy OUT.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:43 PM   #51
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
ďI really like Dana and respect him. There are no ill feelings. Iím more confused than anything else. Itís a serious fight with serious ramifications. I donít think I need to reach out to Dana. I didnít mean to cancel an event and was asked to give an opinion and I gave it. We all got together and are on the same sheet of music. These guys are professional promoters and thatís what they do. I didnít know they had (UFC 151) riding on one fight. Itís one of those things that, as a trainer, Iíll give you my opinion. Iím not a yes man ó I do whatís best for my guy. Iím surprised by the veracity of Danaís response but thatís my opinion.Ē
- Greg Jackson
Old 08-23-2012, 04:44 PM   #52
Peter__1987

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post
You're right scurla. What Dana should have done, is be pleased that Jones killed the card by refusing to fight. Dana should have released a statement where he kissed Jones' ass, said that Machida was a better opponent anyway, and pretended that the cancellation was a good thing.

Injuries happen, that's an unfortunate part of the sport.

Jones can take an easy defence (that will still pay him well) vs an undeserving big-name guy who is the same base style as Henderson but who is undersized, not really in shape, and has virtually no chance to win.

Or, Jones can crash the entire card. **** the millions of dollars the UFC has already spent to set up and promote this card. **** the dozen or more fighters on the card who don't have Nike deals and who were relying on the paycheck.

Still, since you're not happy with Dana being mad and saying so, what should Dana's response have been?

Dana publicly kisses Jones' ass - would that have been better?

Dana mad in private but releases public statement backing Jones' decision - would that have been better?

Dana mad as hell, thinks Jones made a selfish decision, and says so in public and private - what the **** is wrong with that?

brilliant post
Old 08-23-2012, 04:51 PM   #53
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Floyd View Post
- Greg Jackson
Bingo! As you said earlier, if they had a stronger co-main then this wouldnt have got cancelled. If they had run Frankie/Benson & this combined then this problem wouldn't have happened. Too many events... Still dont understand Gregs reasons for not taking the fight other than Chael doesnt deserve it though. Surely he wouldn think Ellenburger could carry the card on his own Just a case of shit happens at then end of the day
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 04:56 PM   #54
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
Still dont understand Gregs reasons for not taking the fight other than Chael doesnt deserve it though.
Yeah, I don't understand that either. Chael has about as basic a style as it gets, and it's not one foreign to Jones.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:09 PM   #55
Primate
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

With Rob on this one. It's not on Jones for a cancelled card. Fights get cancelled more often than anyone would like, but in this case a strong co-main would've saved everyone a lot of grief. It's on the UFC for having such a weak headline fight and an otherwise soft card.

Nothing was stopping them from running with it and eating the shit numbers, or selling it half price or some shit (I have no idea how the actual logistics work when selling ppvs), the promoters decided to cancel the card, so the blame rests on them. Massive dick move trying to place the blame on Jones and Jackson.
Primate is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 05:35 PM   #56
SugarShane_24
ESB good-looking member
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

So what happens to the term "UFC 151"?
SugarShane_24 is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 05:38 PM   #57
Peter__1987

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarShane_24 View Post
So what happens to the term "UFC 151"?
it happens. next month.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:48 PM   #58
Peter__1987

vCash:

Charlie Brenneman, a journeyman welterweight scheduled to fight Australia's Kyle Noke in a preliminary card bout to be aired on Facebook, tweeted at Jones: "U can send my check to PO box 198. EH NJ. Rent is due the first, so preferably by then. Thanks."

Old 08-23-2012, 05:49 PM   #59
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primate View Post
With Rob on this one. It's not on Jones for a cancelled card.
It is on Jones.

Jones' opponent was injured at the last minute. Sucks for sure, but shit happens.

The UFC presented Jones with a viable opponent, very similar style to Henderson, a big name with basically zero chance to win. This opponent is willing to fight despite being relatively out of shape.

Jones turned the fight down and killed the card.

If Jones was okay with an easy defence against Chael, the card goes on.

He wasn't, so the card is now cancelled. Nobody else except Jones made that call. There was nothing stopping him taking the Sonnen fight - the substitution was quite reasonable on the UFC's part. But the cancellation is on Jones, because he had an option to fight on, but he made the call to pull the card.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 05:51 PM   #60
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter__1987 View Post
Charlie Brenneman, a journeyman welterweight scheduled to fight Australia's Kyle Noke in a preliminary card bout to be aired on Facebook, tweeted at Jones: "U can send my check to PO box 198. EH NJ. Rent is due the first, so preferably by then. Thanks."

Stoo is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum