Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 08-22-2012, 10:16 PM   #1
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default No eating 3 hours before fight?

Ok, so I don't wanna make a big deal out of something, cuz it's probably not.
But for my fight this weekend, I read a stipulation that NO fighters are to eat at least 3 hours before fight time.

Now, weigh-in is 2 hours before fight time, so basically no eating after weigh in.

Is this common? I haven't competed for too long, but I usually look forward to eating after weigh in. Especially when you're not fighting for another 3-4 hours.

Obviously, we don't cut a lot of weight in the amateurs, so I usually weigh-in about a pound under the limit, then pack on another 2 or 3 pounds by eating/drinking, and that gives me at least 2 hours to digest.
I doubt I'm gaining any advantage by packing on 2-3 pounds.

So what's the deal? Any good reason for this, and has anyone else come across this?

I eat about 14-15 times a day (3 square meals, rest are snacks). I'm sure it sounds excessive, but i'm hungry ALL the time, plus I eat really healthy, so that works for me. My only concern is, i get hungry a lot faster than most people and sometimes feel light headed. So I don't want that to happen. I want to be focused on my fight, not distracted or weakened by hunger.
Speechless is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2012, 10:26 PM   #2
Primate
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: No eating 3 hours before fight?

With 2 hours to spare I'd probably eat something small and easily digested. Just a banana or something.
Primate is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2012, 11:00 PM   #3
boranbkk
"ไม่ได้โม้นะ"
ESB Addict

You eat three squre meals and snack 15 times a day get light headed? You've either got a giant Tate worm inside you or you need to add more protein to those 15 snacks.
boranbkk is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2012, 11:08 PM   #4
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

To clarify, eating 14-15 times INCLUDES the 3 square meals.
And I only get light headed if I skip meals, e.g. 3 hours w/out eating.
And yes, my meals are often well balanced with protein & complex carbs.

I agree Primate. I usually eat something small and easily digestible within 2 hrs of fighting. I guess I gotta be discreet. Like crumble some energy bar into a water bottle and try not to chew too obviously. Ha ha. I dunno, sounds a bit extreme, and i'm not sure if that constitutes as "cheating", but I really don't see any benefit of this rule.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:34 PM   #5
Primate
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I must have skipped that part.... you're actually not allowed to eat? What is their justification for that?
Primate is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 10:09 AM   #6
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 202

Nobody can tell you not to eat before a fight. Eat what you want, not like someone's gonna be watching you the whole time or something.
KillSomething is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 06:20 PM   #7
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

There's something wrong with you if you can't go more than an hour without eating.

On topic - that rule is bullshit. Eat what you want when you want, there's nothing they can do about it. You seriously think any legitimate competition is going to disqualify an athlete for eating food? If that is the case find somewhere else to compete.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 06:27 PM   #8
Zombieguy
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I've always wondered what happens if somebody has to go shit during a fight? Not just a regular tightness in the lower abdomen, I'm talking like you feel a sudden rush of diarrhea where you'll explode within 30 seconds if you don't find a toilet?
Zombieguy is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 09:35 PM   #9
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
There's something wrong with you if you can't go more than an hour without eating.

On topic - that rule is bullshit. Eat what you want when you want, there's nothing they can do about it. You seriously think any legitimate competition is going to disqualify an athlete for eating food? If that is the case find somewhere else to compete.
Yeah, my co-workers think I am a freak, or like one of the posters here mentioned a "tapeworm", ha ha. I'm a pretty small guy too.

I talked to my coach, and he agrees - it's a bullshit rule, and told me not to worry about it.
I figure if an amateur is cutting a significant amount of weight by not eating or being excessively dehydrated just hours before a fight, well....he's taking an unnecessary risk.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:56 AM   #10
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1947

Firstly, you eat 15 times a day? Try eating bigger meals.

As for not being able to eat, that sounds retarded. You can just drink all of the nutrients that you could of got from food anyway.
Jdsm is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing