boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-23-2012, 10:55 PM   #61
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Hardest hitting fighters between 1940-1990 from the LW, WW, and HW divisions

@hawkfan...I love Joe Frazier he's my all time fav, but I dont think Power wise I could mention him in the same sentence as Foreman, or Marciano..Although his left hook could probably kill a horse, thats about all the power he had
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2012, 10:56 PM   #62
WhyYouLittle
Stand Still
ESB Full Member

Default Re: Hardest hitting fighters between 1940-1990 from the LW, WW, and HW divisions

Baer is kinda hard to measure because of his lack of consistency (between rounds even) and his complete disregard for technical discipline. He did cause an accidental death in the ring and probably have been responsible for another though. Some who witnessed him back in the day suspected he might have gone cuffed sometimes, though nothing was proven (not that I know of anyway).
WhyYouLittle is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 11:08 PM   #63
HawkFan16
Unshot/In My Prime
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSouthpaw View Post
Im surprised to see Shane Mosley at LW!...
Mosley was loaded full of horse steroids and god knows what else at 135. He was fast, powerful, and had great stamina at that weight.

I think he deserves his spot. He hit really, really hard at 135.

As for Frazier, you're right, his left hook was what got him on that list. Well, that, plus the fact it didn't extend into the mid 1990s. If it did, I'd probably throw him out and put Tua and Lennox Lewis in his place almost immediately. Those guys didn't really hit the scene until the 1990s, though.
HawkFan16 is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 11:18 PM   #64
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

I was not aware of Sugar Shane doping at LW...Because i never really was impressed with his power at WW...Speed yes!..but not power
Old 08-23-2012, 11:18 PM   #65
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkFan16 View Post
Mosley was loaded full of horse steroids and god knows what else at 135. He was fast, powerful, and had great stamina at that weight.

I think he deserves his spot. He hit really, really hard at 135.

As for Frazier, you're right, his left hook was what got him on that list. Well, that, plus the fact it didn't extend into the mid 1990s. If it did, I'd probably throw him out and put Tua and Lennox Lewis in his place almost immediately. Those guys didn't really hit the scene until the 1990s, though.
Tua!!!???....Really?
Old 08-23-2012, 11:24 PM   #66
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

vCash: 816

Quote:
Im surprised to see Shane Mosley at LW!...
Shane hit really hard at 135. At 147 as well, I mean afterall he did stop Margarito and had him down a couple times.
turbotime is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 11:29 PM   #67
HawkFan16
Unshot/In My Prime
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Tua!!!???....Really?
Yes. Tua did not have much in the way of technical skills, but in terms of sheer, brute punching power, he was among the very best the division has seen.

I actually think Tua had more single-shot KO power than Tyson. Tyson had excellent single shot power in his own right, but part of what made him special to me at least was how explosive he was, his blend of handspeed AND power. Tyson could string together fast, powerful combinations very easily, all with solid KO power in his prime. Those would leave his victims battered and unable to continue in most cases, but he seldom knocked a guy completely senseless the way Tua did to Ruiz, for instance.

Tua, meanwhile, didn't have the same handspeed or explosiveness, but he tried to decapitate the other guy with almost every punch he threw. It also didn't seem to matter whether or not he was getting schooled or roughed up at any time, either. There have been a number of Tua fights (Rahman and Maskaev come to mind immediately) where he was getting handily outboxed and beaten, only to suddenly end the fight with one shot. Tua had one shot KO power at any time of the fight.

I love Tyson, but he really didn't get too many KO's after the middle rounds. I think his power was at its greatest for the first two thirds of the fight, and then eased off a little. Most people couldn't survive the first 7-8 rounds of him, and if they did, they were usually in gunshy retreat mode. That's part of what made him almost unbeatable in his prime. That insanely destructive assault early on would break the confidence of just about all but the most mentally strong ATG heavyweights (like Ali) to the point they wouldn't want to try to win the fight later.
HawkFan16 is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 11:29 PM   #68
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Margarito did get a good old fashioned ass whoopin thats for sure...
Old 08-24-2012, 05:11 AM   #69
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkFan16 View Post
Yes. Tua did not have much in the way of technical skills, but in terms of sheer, brute punching power, he was among the very best the division has seen.

I actually think Tua had more single-shot KO power than Tyson. Tyson had excellent single shot power in his own right, but part of what made him special to me at least was how explosive he was, his blend of handspeed AND power. Tyson could string together fast, powerful combinations very easily, all with solid KO power in his prime. Those would leave his victims battered and unable to continue in most cases, but he seldom knocked a guy completely senseless the way Tua did to Ruiz, for instance.

Tua, meanwhile, didn't have the same handspeed or explosiveness, but he tried to decapitate the other guy with almost every punch he threw. It also didn't seem to matter whether or not he was getting schooled or roughed up at any time, either. There have been a number of Tua fights (Rahman and Maskaev come to mind immediately) where he was getting handily outboxed and beaten, only to suddenly end the fight with one shot. Tua had one shot KO power at any time of the fight.

I love Tyson, but he really didn't get too many KO's after the middle rounds. I think his power was at its greatest for the first two thirds of the fight, and then eased off a little. Most people couldn't survive the first 7-8 rounds of him, and if they did, they were usually in gunshy retreat mode. That's part of what made him almost unbeatable in his prime. That insanely destructive assault early on would break the confidence of just about all but the most mentally strong ATG heavyweights (like Ali) to the point they wouldn't want to try to win the fight later.
I refuse to believe that Tua had more raw power than Tyson
Old 08-24-2012, 05:14 AM   #70
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

My final Top 3 hardest punchers in the HW division
1. Foreman
2. Marciano
3. Tyson
Old 08-24-2012, 08:41 AM   #71
Webbiano
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotime View Post
Foreman/Louis
MW - Jackson/Ketchel
Ww- Hearns
LW- Williams, Duran, Delahoya
???? You need to slow down on the nuthuggery turbo, it's starting to get a little ridiculous. Last time I checked De La Hoya wasn't fighting in the pros in 1990
Webbiano is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 08:56 AM   #72
Fellonblackdays
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 462

Foreman for heavy weight its very hard to dispute that. I mean used to leave indentations on heavy bags. Welterweights Thomas Hearns and Pipino Cuevas. Lightweight for me its Roberto Duran.
Fellonblackdays is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 04:44 PM   #73
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

No actually Foreman used to break heavybags...he was a beast
Old 08-24-2012, 05:40 PM   #74
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

vCash: 816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webbiano View Post
???? You need to slow down on the nuthuggery turbo, it's starting to get a little ridiculous. Last time I checked De La Hoya wasn't fighting in the pros in 1990
The 1990 Delahoya that cut Ivan Robinson to ribbons in the world championships was hitting harder than most pro lightweights at the time, if not all.
turbotime is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 05:50 PM   #75
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

A 1990 Oscar was just a kid..

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum