Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

View Poll Results: Is Greg killing the sport?
Yes 9 23.68%
No 15 39.47%
Some fights are dull, but plenty are exciting 8 21.05%
**** off Johnstown! 6 15.79%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-23-2012, 06:50 PM   #16
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru

vCash: 553
Default Re: Is Greg Jackson killing the sport?

Quote:
Greg Jackson Responds To Dana White's UFC 151 Cancellation Comments

by Josh Nason on Aug 23, 2012 2:53 PM EDT in UFC News

UFC president Dana White isn't thrilled with Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones (pictured) and his coach Greg Jackson. (Photo by Jeff Bottari/Zuffa LLC via Getty Images)
Minutes after UFC president Dana White announced that UFC 151 was cancelled because Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones declined to fight potential Dan Henderson injury replacement Chael Sonnen, Mauro Ranallo talked to Jones' head trainer Greg Jackson about the fallout, specifically White's comments about Jackson being "an (expletive) sport killer".

Jackson pointed out that Jones didn't turn down the fight on eight days notice but that it's really three days due to fight week being full of weight cutting and media obligations.

"I was asked if it was smart to take a fight on three days notice and I don't think it's smart to do that," Jackson said on The MMA Show. "Three days to fight a guy that caliber is not a smart thing to do. I'm not trying to ruin the sport or cancel an event. I don't know about that stuff, but thought it wasn't a wise course of action."

Jackson said that to fight someone of Sonnen's caliber, you "need to have a full training camp. That would seem smart to me. Fighting on three days notice isn't taking (the sport) seriously to me." He added that the decision wasn't solely his, but that Jones' entire team met and discussed whether to take the Sonnen fight on short notice. He merely added his opinion.

At the time of the interview, Jackson said he hadn't talked to Jones yet. He was also surprised at the negative reaction from White. After the jump, get the details about what Jackson thinks about his relationship with White given Thursday's comments.

On his feelings toward White now, Jackson said that he wasn't mad but confused. "I really like Dana and respect him...there is no ill feelings. I'm more confused than anything else."

"It's a serious fight with serious ramifications. I don't think I need to reach out to Dana. I didn't mean to cancel an event and was asked to give an opinion and I gave it. We all got together and are on the same sheet of music. These guys are professional promoters and that's what they do," he continued.

"I didn't know they had it all riding on one fight. It's one of those things...as a trainer. I'll give you my opinion. I'm not a yes man...I do what's best for my guy. I'm surprised by the veracity of his response but that's my opinion."

Jackson also said that if Sonnen was presented as an opponent for Jones in late-September instead of Lyoto Machida, they would have taken the fight.

"In this case (of the short notice fight), it's a world title fight in the best sport in the world on three days notice. This isn't backyard brawling...it's a professional sport."

"I think Chael is brilliant. He circumvented an entire division...went right from Anderson (Silva) to Jon. It's brilliant...he's got nothing to lose and everything to gain. I'm always impressed by him," Jackson said.
BobDigi5060 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2012, 07:13 PM   #17
Kittikasem
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
A string of underwhelming main events, boring tap and dash game plans and now refusing fights...

Is the heat Greg been getting from fans and know Dana himself warranted?

What are the plus points that Greg brings to MMA?
No. I don't like Jackson because I detest the 'gameplans' he has apparently devised for GSP, Guida, Condit, and more. But like Diego Sanchez says, it's really up to the fighter what he does in the cage. Guys like Bones, Sanchez and more Jackson fighters do perform like real fighters every time. I don't think Jackson is free from blame for all these shitty fights and calculating, pragmatic gameplans, but likewise I don't think he can be flogged for them either.
Kittikasem is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 07:23 PM   #18
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

I tend to agree Pops. He should take a little flak for turning exciting fighters a little boring in big fights (GSP's title defences, Condit v Diaz, Guida v Grey/Pettis). But ultimately it takes two to tango (no pun intended Clay)
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 07:24 PM   #19
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

I once heard a NASCAR driver say that it "takes two to tangle." That is a true story.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 07:34 PM   #20
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Got an image of Jackson with his health and safety clipboard on the start line now...
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 07:41 PM   #21
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

Seriously, Jackson is not killing the sport. Plenty of his fighters have excellent finishing records.

Jackson's fighters often use a carefully formulated strategy, and that does not always lead to excitement.

I think the game plan for Guida, when he faced Maynard, was solid going in. Maynard has a questionably gas tank, and I think they wanted Clay to take over in round 3. Maynard did not come out full speed ahead, and try to take Guida down. That is when they should have told Guida to throw more strikes. If you watch a few of Maynard's fights, you know Maynard normally fights a bit differently than he did that night. The failure from Guida's side came when they failed to adjust to Maynard's approach.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 07:44 PM   #22
Thom
Belt holder
ESB Addict

**** no. Zuffa brought this shit on themselves. If anything, this bullshit Fox deal is killing MMA. It's been ****ed up since they made initial decision to only air the Cain/Junior fight on the inaugural UFC of Fox card, but Dana and Lorenzo will never admit that they're wrong about. Zuffa has over-saturated the market and they've over stretched their talent to put on all of these watered down cards. The original card was shit outside of the Henderson fight.

Additionally, it wasn't "eight days notice" like Dana keeps saying. It was two or three. Fighters don't train that much during the last week before the event. They also have to travel and do all of the fight week media. What kind of "legitimate sport" pulls that shit on a world champion? They should have cancelled the card the second that they heard Henderson was out.

I guarantee you that this won't be the last time that something like this happens over the next couple of years with all of the bullshit subpar cards that Zuffa has scheduled.
Thom is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 09:08 PM   #23
werety
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I don't think he knows what veracity means.
werety is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 08:43 AM   #24
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
Zuffa has over-saturated the market and they've over stretched their talent to put on all of these watered down cards. The original card was shit outside of the Henderson fight.
Common theme over the last 12 months or so, it's hard to disagree. Personally Ive skipped about 5 cards this year already, when before that I doubt Id skipped that many going back to 06
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 08:47 AM   #25
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
Common theme over the last 12 months or so, it's hard to disagree. Personally Ive skipped about 5 cards this year already, when before that I doubt Id skipped that many going back to 06
Ahh not just me then....
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 08:54 AM   #26
Lynchburg
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1449

There are far too many shite cards now... it's like when you only have a little bit of butter left and you try to spread it across two pieces of bread. It all ends up shite

Lynchburg
Lynchburg is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 08:58 AM   #27
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Greg Jackson is not and never will be in a position to " kill the sport "

I feel Dana's comments (barring this statement) are probably just from his POV , but Jackson and his team look at strategy before anything else , there strategical approach is what they believe sets them apart from the other gyms , and one would have to concur

The UFC have a philosophy but so does team Jackson , the two don't merge , so there's going to be conflict
thewinfella is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 08:59 AM   #28
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynchburg View Post
There are far too many shite cards now... it's like when you only have a little bit of butter left and you try to spread it across two pieces of bread. It all ends up shite

Lynchburg
Still eating bread and butter hey Lynch ??

thewinfella is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 09:01 AM   #29
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
Ahh not just me then....
Im sure you remember back to when WWE bought WCW and the wrestling audience slowly dropped off... I stopped watching a good while before that but I remember friends saying that it was good to just have one company and the audience will grow because all the talent is under on roof
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 09:05 AM   #30
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewinfella View Post
Greg Jackson is not and never will be in a position to " kill the sport "

I feel Dana's comments (barring this statement) are probably just from his POV , but Jackson and his team look at strategy before anything else , there strategical approach is what they believe sets them apart from the other gyms , and one would have to concur

The UFC have a philosophy but so does team Jackson , the two don't merge , so there's going to be conflict
Common sense point of view fella and I agree. But those game plans dont exactly sell tickets do they. The only reason Dana is overreacting is because it hit him in the wallet hard though
Stoo is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum