Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2012, 02:06 PM   #2
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: Flash Elorde vs Floyd Mayweather Jr

Mayweather has the better feet here. Elorde knew what he was doing, had a dig and could take the rough stuff. Floyd is quicker of hand and feet, has a good engine (can punch sparingly if need be to make the 15) and has more than enough rounds to figure out a potentially tricky southpaw foe. Elorde will likely try to make Floyd lead and catch him with his very good jab, which could be landed clean to a fighter coming in as well as distributed freely to move his man back or distract to get his left hand in. The first few rounds will be boring, as even super feather Floyd will be looking to do the same thing and adjust to his man, naturally smaller but a better operator than anyone he faced at 130lbs.

Floyd by a 9-6 type decision in a very interesting, if not explosive, matchup. I don't see him turning up the gas to smack Elorde round and I think the harder clean shots he lands will be negated by Elorde's movement. Floyd didn't swarm his man when he hurt him, he picked his shots well so I think Gabriel can regroup when hurt, which he will be throughout the time, Mayweather was dangerous at super feather.

Last edited by Flea Man; 08-24-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 09:45 PM   #3
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Mayweather has the better feet here. Elorde knew what he was doing, had a dig and could take the rough stuff. Floyd is quicker of hand and feet, has a good engine (can punch sparingly if need be to make the 15) and has more than enough rounds to figure out a potentially tricky southpaw foe. Elorde will likely try to make Floyd lead and catch him with his very good jab, which could be landed clean to a fighter coming in as well as distributed freely to move his man back or distract to get his left hand in. The first few rounds will be boring, as even super feather Floyd will be looking to do the same thing and adjust to his man, naturally smaller but a better operator than anyone he faced at 130lbs.

Floyd by a 9-6 type decision in a very interesting, if not explosive, matchup. I don't see him turning up the gas to smack Elorde round and I think the harder clean shots he lands will be negated by Elorde's movement. Floyd didn't swarm his man when he hurt him, he picked his shots well so I think Gabriel can regroup when hurt, which he will be throughout the time, Mayweather was dangerous at super feather.
i came into this thread not knowing too much about elorde and hoping to find a detailed analysis...thanks for providing it flea
Nightcrawler is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 10:05 PM   #4
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post
I think Elorde could really make this close, and Floyd often struggles with southpaws. Granted, he's never lost, but they make it difficult for him nonetheless. And Elorde was a great boxer.

I think Mayweather prevails though in the end, his intelligence and ability to adapt sees him through.

That, and at super featherweight he's just a H2H beast.
from the footage i've seen, i'd put him at the top of 130 h2h with arguello
Nightcrawler is offline  Top
Old 08-25-2012, 12:19 AM   #5
The Funny Man 7
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1326

I like Floyd by a very narrow margin. Elorde always get sold short on this forum. He was absolutely brilliant. Anyone who can whip Sandy Saddler's ass that badly is an all time great head to head.

Still, from what I've read Elorde's bigget fault was his comfort with the notion of losing. I think that was the way Larry Merchant phrased it. In other words Elorde tended to grow complacent and he lacked a certain competitive edge that Floyd clearly possesses.
The Funny Man 7 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum