Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-25-2012, 02:53 AM   #91
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121
Default Re: Which fighters would Chavez do better against than Duran would?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhataRock View Post
Wow.

Anyways just watch all you possibly can of Ken and tell us what you think Divvy.

No one is talking Ali or Whitaker fleety but all I can say is watch as much as you can & report back.

I think the key here, as others have mentioned, is functional mobility. Camacho was surely fleet-footed, but how many times did we see him actually step in with his punches in-range when circling? Buchanan wasn't extremely fast as a ring general, but so much more effective at maintaining range with efficiency while stepping in and out with his stiff jab.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2012, 05:09 AM   #92
divac
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
I think the key here, as others have mentioned, is functional mobility. Camacho was surely fleet-footed, but how many times did we see him actually step in with his punches in-range when circling? Buchanan wasn't extremely fast as a ring general, but so much more effective at maintaining range with efficiency while stepping in and out with his stiff jab.
Camacho pre Rosario did step in with his punches.
Post Rosario is when boxing fans referred to him as Hector "not so macho" Camacho!

Its that post Rosario Camacho that Duran may very well have had major troubles with because that Camacho fought like an amatuer, just flicking and piling up points, making you miss, and not too concerned with his punches doing real damage.
The problem here is that type of a fighter could make any fighter look silly, especially a fighter that easily loses his cool like Duran did vs Leonard.
divac is offline  Top
Old 08-25-2012, 09:15 AM   #93
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166

Quote:
Originally Posted by divac View Post
Camacho pre Rosario did step in with his punches.
Post Rosario is when boxing fans referred to him as Hector "not so macho" Camacho!

Its that post Rosario Camacho that Duran may very well have had major troubles with because that Camacho fought like an amatuer, just flicking and piling up points, making you miss, and not too concerned with his punches doing real damage.
The problem here is that type of a fighter could make any fighter look silly, especially a fighter that easily loses his cool like Duran did vs Leonard.
Based on what exactly?

Specific fights I mean Divaowski.

Camacho barely got past a fighter the calibre of Mancini..IMO actually was lucky to...pray tell how is Duran having huge issues with that fighter?
WhataRock is offline  Top
Old 08-25-2012, 09:46 AM   #94
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhataRock View Post
Based on what exactly?

Specific fights I mean Divaowski.

Camacho barely got past a fighter the calibre of Mancini..IMO actually was lucky to...pray tell how is Duran having huge issues with that fighter?
Post-prime Mancini AND post-prime Haugen were beasts.

Surely you're not expecting a prime Duran to do better than them when they were able to hold their own with Camacho?

Vlade, come up mate, seriously......
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Old 08-25-2012, 10:29 AM   #95
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

I will say that Camacho was damn good against Ramirez. A southpaw, so not relevant in a Camacho-Duran matchup
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2013, 01:37 AM   #96
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

This thread was fun. I want more. MORE.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2013, 11:59 PM   #97
Garrus
Big Boss 1935-2014
ESB Addict

Location: A Hero Forever Loyal To The Flames Of War, Rests in Outer Heaven
vCash: 157

Chavez more consistent pressure, doesn't care how long it takes him to get you outta there. More orthodox with his head movement, parried shots better.

Duran bit more patient in his approach, seemed to (as many others noted in this thread) fight hot or cold at times if he thought he could relax. Had more freedom with his defense, could take alot of the steam outta of a punch with his patented rolling.

As soon as you tried/upping the pace, he'd become a

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

(can we see pics now??)

I don't see a fighter he does better against though, it's just that what Duran does best is better than Chavez's best.
Garrus is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2013, 11:59 PM   #98
Garrus
Big Boss 1935-2014
ESB Addict

A bit drunk so if I repeated some things sorry
Garrus is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2013, 11:00 PM   #99
Brownies
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Chavez's type of pressure has been discussed thoroughly in this thread, but what about his great selection of punches while throwing combinations ? Couldn't it be the key to create holes in the defense of great defensive gurus like Mayweather ? Duran could throw every punches, but you know what I mean about Chavez combos...
Brownies is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2013, 12:10 AM   #100
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownies View Post
Chavez's type of pressure has been discussed thoroughly in this thread, but what about his great selection of punches while throwing combinations ? Couldn't it be the key to create holes in the defense of great defensive gurus like Mayweather ? Duran could throw every punches, but you know what I mean about Chavez combos...
So you think he's more patient and selective when setting up his punches on the inside? That's interesting. Not something I've thought about but the idea that Duran feasts on opportunities given a bit more than he creates them against a fighter's guard while Chavez opens them up a bit craftier may have some merit. Can you give any specific fights to contrast the two?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrus View Post
Chavez more consistent pressure, doesn't care how long it takes him to get you outta there. More orthodox with his head movement, parried shots better.

Duran bit more patient in his approach, seemed to (as many others noted in this thread) fight hot or cold at times if he thought he could relax. Had more freedom with his defense, could take alot of the steam outta of a punch with his patented rolling.

As soon as you tried/upping the pace, he'd become a

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

(can we see pics now??)

I don't see a fighter he does better against though, it's just that what Duran does best is better than Chavez's best.
Somehow that's the only picture I've been able to see.

But surely if Chavez is more consistent with his pressure, there must be some fighters (mobile, rangy punchers perhaps) that he can do better against over 12 rounds. There's been a few solid names given out. A list I mentioned earlier for consideration:

Buchanan
Camacho
De Jesus
Whitaker
Rosario
Taylor
Arguello
Aguilar
Cervantes
Lampkin
Locche
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2013, 11:38 AM   #101
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

I can't see him doing better against Dejesus.that steadier slower paced pressuring comapred to Duran's sudden unpredictable surges would just lend a greater element of predictability for the master boxer-puncher.

To be honest i'm not sure he even beats him clearly unless he manages an absolute best performance.Typical prime level effort of both men and i actually see a tough debatable hard to score razor close affair, especially if it's 12 and not 15.Over 15 i favour Chavez to pull away for a close win.
lora is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2013, 12:14 PM   #102
heavy_hands
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_scientist View Post
Not sure there's any type Chavez does better against than Duran.

The only thing Chavez might have the slightest edge in is chin, so you could argue he might stand up a little better to the likes of Ike Williams, Alexis Arguello or a lightweight version of a Tommy Hearns (if one existed).

That said, I think Duran handles them sort of fighters regardless and probably in some ways easier than Chavez due to his greater level of skill....
it is exactly like frazier and marciano... saying that chavez had a better chin than duran is a bullshit ,because duran faced much harder punchers and bigger men than chavez did, hearns would have ****ed chavez as easily
heavy_hands is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2013, 06:10 PM   #103
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post
I can't see him doing better against Dejesus.that steadier slower paced pressuring comapred to Duran's sudden unpredictable surges would just lend a greater element of predictability for the master boxer-puncher.

To be honest i'm not sure he even beats him clearly unless he manages an absolute best performance.Typical prime level effort of both men and i actually see a tough debatable hard to score razor close affair, especially if it's 12 and not 15.Over 15 i favour Chavez to pull away for a close win.
I agree that De Jesus is not one of them. Chavez's steady rhythm would give him more room to work and improvise.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 05-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #104
Garrus
Big Boss 1935-2014
ESB Addict

bump
Garrus is offline  Top
Old 05-13-2013, 01:43 AM   #105
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrus View Post
bump
Still can't think of a single one Garrus?

Also I'm waiting on your explanation of the picture trick. Tell me the secret. Tell me.
Bogotazo is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum