Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 08-26-2012, 10:32 AM   #1
uperkurk

vCash: 500
Default Taking up boxing at 23

Hello all, how are we? My first post here but I'll be sticking around most likely as there seems to be a lot of content on the forums

I'm at uni at the moment and I'm thinking to join the boxing society but I'm 23 years old... I know you're never too old to start something but if I get in to it I'd like to try and do the best I can which means competing. Let's just say that after a year or so of training and having a few friendly matches someone say to me "actually you're a natural at this sport I think you should try to pursee it" I'd be 24 and it would feel kinda late to start trying to make something of it?

I know the chances of me making it "pro" are slim and i'll just go to the training sessions and see how it goes, I mean the last time I got smacked in the face I was about 10 when I used to box, unfortunately the boxing club shut down so my mother stopped taking me.

Which professional boxers are there that started learning late like me who have made it into a full career? If any?

Thanks guys.
uperkurk is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2012, 10:34 AM   #2
pong
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Taking up boxing at 23

martinez and rahnam started late
pong is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2012, 11:06 AM   #3
uperkurk

Well it's good motivation to see people like Sergio Martinez 48 - 2 - 2 shows that it can be done, for now though I'll just go along to the training and just see what it leads me
uperkurk is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2012, 11:26 AM   #4
tonyb
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

23 i still young. its not how many years you train boxing,it how god you spend your time,and train correct. In the beggining its all about shadowboxing and fotwork training all day. the first thing u have to learns is balance. where the feets needs to be.
tonyb is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2012, 12:33 PM   #5
uperkurk

Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post
Try not to think of turning pro or becoming world champion yet. You have years and years of work ahead of you if you're serious about this so keep it one step at a time.
I'm not but I do have the mentality whereby if I'm going to start something, I have it set in my mind that I'm going to go all the way, sometimes it's a good thing, sometimes it's a bad thing.

Anyway thanks I'll give it a try and see how it goes
uperkurk is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2012, 12:41 PM   #6
tyewil
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 677

Becareful of uni boxing societies, only few unis have an established system(if your in Britain) a lot of the unis its just guys training together rather than a coached session.
tyewil is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2012, 05:59 PM   #7
Jappa
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I'm 22 and started a year and a half ago about hoping to go amateur, just go for it, take in as much as you can and train hard.
Jappa is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2012, 11:56 PM   #8
dzab

Not to late man. I started at 24 and had one fight now at 25. I don't have professional aspirations, but will have some more am fights for sure. Just sign up, train hard and have fun with it. In a year or two time, re-evaluate your goals. If nothing else, you would've got fit and met a cool bunch of people.
dzab is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing