Old 08-29-2012, 09:58 PM   #61
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

vCash: 500
Default Re: Joe Calzaghe and super six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge View Post
Like I said, can't knock a fighter for wanting to go into a fight with two healthy hands, especially for an injury-prone one who'd badly underperformed in the past, and very nearly lost, due to suffering injuries and lack of sparring. There was an awful lot riding on the Lacy fight and had he lost the Yanks would've labeled him as another overrated Eurobum and written off everything he'd worked so hard for as a sham, so it's totally understandable that he didn't want to enter into the fight with a major handicap. Unlike some fighters, Joe liked to give the crowd their money's worth and I don't think winning wasn't enough for him, he wanted to look good doing it too, which he obviously wouldn't have been able to do had he fought with one good hand.

I don't think he ever used the glass in his ice cream as an excuse for his performance in the Reid fight to be fair. It's true about him being ravaged with injuries throughout that period of his career though. Things started going pear shaped for him after making the first defence of his title against Sobot, which prevented him from sparring for his next defence against Juan Carlos Gimenez, and he didn't fully recover from them until he fought Omar Sheika, whom he pulled out of fighting on 3 occasions due to injuries by the way. And it's also true about him only sparring 14 rounds for the Reid fight, the commentators even mention during the fight that there had been rumours leaked from Cardiff that he had to curtail his sparring sessions early because of elbow and wrist injuries. I remember reading about all the injury woes he was going through at the time in the press back then too. He underwent surgery on one of them prior to that fight too, hence why he'd been out of action for 10 months. Reid certainly seemed to be aware of this as the dirty ****er locked Joe's arm up and violently twisted it on a couple of occasions early in the fight. lol.

He got caught with a huge shot against Mitchell and was dropped and hurt, that's boxing. It happens to the best of them. He fought with a very aggressive and sometimes reckless style and it's testament to the strength of his chin he was only off his feet 3 time times in his career, both amateur and pro (I don't count the Jones KD as a legitimate one). He was going through a very acrimonious and messy divorce when he fought Salem and he wasn't in the best frame of mind to be fighting. He said he'd never felt so disconnected in a fight in his life as he was for that one. And Salem was as filthy ****er as you could hope not to meet and his excessive fouling (mainly in the shape of his flagrant use of the head) really infuriated Joe. He fouled him repeatedly from the get go and if you watch the fight you can see he thrust his shoulder into Joe's face a few seconds prior to the KD, which clearly angered Joe - he even complained loudly to the referee about Salem's dirty tactics straight after that - and he rushed in recklessly and got caught with a big right hand and went down.

I agree about Enzo being a ****ing lunatic. Some of the shit he comes out with makes no sense at all. He's totally unintelligible half the time. lol.

By the way, I know you're not a hater. I've been around here ages and I've read a fair few of your other posts you've written about him before.
Good post, we see it from different POV's but i can take on your points. Sometimes looking back so far you often forget things so nice to read and remember names and things that happened.

Keep posting Serge, You'd be a welcome addition mate.
SkillspayBills is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2012, 10:28 PM   #62
Serge
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkillspayBills View Post
Good post, we see it from different POV's but i can take on your points. Sometimes looking back so far you often forget things so nice to read and remember names and things that happened.

Keep posting Serge, You'd be a welcome addition mate.
Thanks man, you're a quality poster and I've enjoyed reading your posts on many occasions.
Serge is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2012, 11:47 PM   #63
mbrockett
ESB voyeur
ESB Full Member

i think it is documented that he lacked self belief. didnt he say in his autobiog that he knew he couldnt beat jones jr in his peak?
mbrockett is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2012, 01:34 AM   #64
Olu G. Rotimi
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBrenny View Post
Yeah Calzaghe vs Froch would have been a real 50/50 one...

Like I said I see 2 potential outcomes here as stated previously. What I cannot envision is Calzaghe stopping Froch or Froch outpointing Calzaghe.
Olu G. Rotimi is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2012, 08:50 AM   #65
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge View Post
Thanks man, you're a quality poster and I've enjoyed reading your posts on many occasions.
Thanks Bro, Appreciate it .
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrockett View Post
i think it is documented that he lacked self belief. didnt he say in his autobiog that he knew he couldnt beat jones jr in his peak?
Yeah i vaguely remember something about this, be interesting to hear his reasons why. ''Jones was unreal'' . I must be honest i wanted Joe to win that night in New York. That was hard for me because i'm a Jones fan through and through. Just wanted Joe to end unbeaten, but the fight after first couple rounds really become a glorified sparring session. I think both had massive respect for each other. Although the showboating was a little annoying that night from Joe.

Know a bloke who went out there, not a boxing fan but went for the banter etc and he said same thing.

A Jones-Calzaghe fight prime for prime would of been something else!.

I'm gonna go back and watch the Kessler fight at some point, one of the best displays in Joe's career. It was the ability to adapt that night. It showed why he was elite and why Kessler was simply world class. A very good champion just didn't have that extra gear.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:12 AM   #66
TED 822
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxbull666 View Post
Calzaghe always found a way to win, I think a Ward fight would have been close, depending on where the fight was it could have gone either way.
Agree with this comment.Joe a great fighter,think hed have beaten Carl Froch on points,and all the others in the tourney,but Ward is 50 50.We dont know everything about this lad yet,he could become an all time great.Cant work out why Dawson is coming down a weight for him.
TED 822 is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2012, 12:43 PM   #67
knockout artist
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2666

Excellent posts by Serge and Skillspaybills
knockout artist is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2012, 12:59 PM   #68
Nipple
I hate my username
ESB Addict

A Jones/Calazaghe fight, with both in their prime, would see Joe get stood on his head.
Nipple is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2012, 05:13 PM   #69
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout artist View Post
Thanks bro.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:44 PM   #70
Abertawe
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1264

Gwarrrn Serge quality posts.. I can never be arsed to write myself but quality reads are always welcome
Abertawe is offline  Top
Old 08-31-2012, 11:12 PM   #71
Serge
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout artist View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abertawe View Post
Gwarrrn Serge quality posts.. I can never be arsed to write myself but quality reads are always welcome
Thanks.
Serge is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum