Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

View Poll Results: did jones do the right thing by not fighting sonnen?
yes 29 54.72%
no 24 45.28%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-30-2012, 07:10 PM   #16
sugarngold
RIDDUM
East Side Guru

vCash: 157
Default Re: jones refusing the sonnen fight was fine by you.

The fight business is part of show business and the show must go on. Last minute replacements are a long running tradition of the fight game. Bones killed the show.
sugarngold is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2012, 08:28 PM   #17
CrimsonBeast
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarngold View Post
The fight business is part of show business and the show must go on. Last minute replacements are a long running tradition of the fight game. Bones killed the show.
would you have payed to see it?
CrimsonBeast is offline  Top
Old 08-31-2012, 03:12 AM   #18
dranon
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBeast View Post
would you have payed to see it?

Why not? What's the difference really? Most were only gonna tune in to see Jones smash yet another opponent. Either way that's exactly what was about to happen. Jones should have fought.
dranon is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2012, 03:32 AM   #19
EL BULLY
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I think he did the right thing in not fighting Sonnen. But I think the camp did the wrong thing by saying the reasons for not fighting him was Greg Jackson saying it would be the biggest mistake of his career. If the reasons given were he doesn't deserve a shot or the fact Sonnen talks shit so readily it would justify it in many peoples minds.

But, I'll say it again, this whole episode has meant that there is now another fight at LHW that people want to see as the belief is Jones rates Sonnen as a dangerous opponent (I don't see it that way. Easy win for Jones IMO). After Hendo there was very few live opponents for Jones without him having to start fighting guys he beat with ease for a second time. Now there is Hendo and Sonnen fights on the horizon that will be big PPV's at LHW. Refusing the fight at short notice is good business.
EL BULLY is offline  Top
Old 08-31-2012, 09:53 PM   #20
davidwatts
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

hopefully the ufc can learn something from all of this. haven't a clue what though!

i've never wanted jones to win any of his past fights but now i've become a fan of his, it just happened for some reason.

i'm sick of other fighters saying that they would've taken on a fight with such short notice, blah, blah, blah.
that is so easy to say when you are not actually involved. i wouldn't of been surprized if sonnen had a feeling that jones and his camp wouldn't take this fight.
yeah i'm surprized by the animosity i've seen from other ufc fighters, it must really hurt and disappoint jones a lot.

i was a fan of dana white til now. i always defended him when people slagged him off in the past, but no more.
he is like a little boy at times, the stupid prick!
when he is upset he always ****s up when he opens his big mouth, totally unprofessional imo anyway.

after going on about wanting a rematch with jones, machida soon turned down the chance when it was offered. blame him then dana, if you wanna pick on someone. no one is having a go at him are they?
blame sonnen for being such a ridiculous WWE fighter disguised as an mma fighter. offering the fight to sonnen was a mistake from the beginning by white. he should of had an idea that jones wouldn't take the fight because it was sonnen.
his first fight in that division against the belt holder, its stupid beyond words. did he really believe jones would jump at the chance of fighting this gay, foul mouthed, disgusting, wanker?
"i direct things around here, i'm dana white."

in the short time jones has been with the ufc he seems to of done quite a bit for them. i've never noticed the ****iness people go on about either. however if he is like that sometimes, its understandable because he is so good, and young as well.
he always comes across as being proud to be in the ufc. he is also respectful to other fighters as far as i'm aware.
he doesn't seem to of done anything wrong in the past with the organization, yet dana publically states that jones is now a coward.

has any fighters come out and supported jones at all? i hope some do eventually, even after all this time.
davidwatts is offline  Top
Old 08-31-2012, 10:09 PM   #21
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwatts View Post
i was a fan of dana white til now. i always defended him when people slagged him off in the past, but no more.
he is like a little boy at times, the stupid prick!
when he is upset he always ****s up when he opens his big mouth, totally unprofessional imo anyway.
Congratulations fella, this is a moment of clarity
Quote:
his first fight in that division against the belt holder, its stupid beyond words.
It's not his 1st fight at the weight fella

Quote:
in the short time jones has been with the ufc he seems to of done quite a bit for them. i've never noticed the ****iness people go on about either. however if he is like that sometimes, its understandable because he is so good, and young as well.
he always comes across as being proud to be in the ufc. he is also respectful to other fighters as far as i'm aware.
he doesn't seem to of done anything wrong in the past with the organization, yet dana publically states that jones is now a coward.
Again, you have had an epiphany
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 09-01-2012, 01:40 AM   #22
tri-pod
Balls
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 123

I don't know why Dana is bitching. Jones just sold the future Jones vs. Sonnen PPV with an amazing "he ducked me" angle.

**** Dana White and his inability to have a good back up match in place for when these inevitable accidents and injuries take place.
tri-pod is offline  Top
Old 09-01-2012, 02:20 AM   #23
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 847

Quote:
Originally Posted by dranon View Post
Why not? What's the difference really? Most were only gonna tune in to see Jones smash yet another opponent. Either way that's exactly what was about to happen. Jones should have fought.
At least with Hendo there was a chance of Jones getting knocked out. Chael would literally have no chance.

So, at least with Belfort there is a chance of Jones getting knocked out.
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Old 09-01-2012, 04:06 AM   #24
dranon
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Floyd View Post
At least with Hendo there was a chance of Jones getting knocked out. Chael would literally have no chance.

So, at least with Belfort there is a chance of Jones getting knocked out.

Henderson wasnt gonna knock out anything he was gonna get rag dolled then smashed just like Belfort is going to. Both of those fights is a complete mismatch as much if not more than the Sonnen fight. Jones should have fought Chael.
dranon is offline  Top
Old 09-01-2012, 04:08 AM   #25
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 847

Quote:
Originally Posted by dranon View Post
Henderson wasnt gonna knock out anything he was gonna get rag dolled then smashed just like Belfort is going to. Both of those fights is a complete mismatch as much if not more than the Sonnen fight. Jones should have fought Chael. Smashed him and saved the card.
I don't disagree, but both guys have the power to knock out anybody, which is a variable missing in a match against Sonnen. I don't think either guy could/will knock out Jones, but if they did land clean, it certainly isn't impossible. They both hit hard as ****.
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Old 09-01-2012, 04:18 AM   #26
dranon
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Floyd View Post
I don't disagree, but both guys have the power to knock out anybody, which is a variable missing in a match against Sonnen. I don't think either guy could/will knock out Jones, but if they did land clean, it certainly isn't impossible. They both hit hard as ****.
Most MMA fans knew from the time the fight got signed Henderson had no chance. Sure there were a few tuning in hoping to see Dan flatten him but the majotity knew what was really gonna happen. They were gonna watch to see jones destroy someone in spectacular fashion yet again. Chaels big mouth and not being well liked by most would have sold that fight well to that crowd.
dranon is offline  Top
Old 09-01-2012, 08:17 AM   #27
Godfather
I put the G in God
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 75

If he knew the whole card would collapse without this fight, then he did the wrong thing.
Godfather is offline  Top
Old 09-01-2012, 08:37 AM   #28
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

He had his reasons, im not gonna criticise him for it !!!!

Every man that steps into that cage has the inherent right to refuse a fight, right up until the bell goes, Dana White sometimes need to realise this
thewinfella is offline  Top
Old 09-01-2012, 10:18 AM   #29
davidwatts
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
Congratulations fella, this is a moment of clarity It's not his 1st fight at the weight fella

Again, you have had an epiphany
yeah i realize he'd fought in that weight class before in the past. however this is a different time for the WWF wrestler that sonnen is, wanker.
davidwatts is offline  Top
Old 09-01-2012, 12:33 PM   #30
Vanboxingfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post
I have mixed feelings on it.

On the one hand, the UFC screwed up by making the entire card rely on one marketable fight. Henderson screwed up by not disclosing the injury until it was too late. (Which is FAR worse than anything Jones did IMO, but Hendo gets a pass because everyone loves him). So it seems unfair to point the finger at Jones and Jones alone.

On the other hand, Jones is a performer and an entertainer. And what's the #1 rule for anyone who gets people to spend money to watch them perform? "The show must go on."

Good post. As I read somewhere the difference would be that the UFC would have been indebted to Jones, instead of royally pissed off at him. If you're a UFC fighter you really don't want to be pissing off Dana White and the owners of Zuffa.
Vanboxingfan is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum