Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 09-04-2012, 10:40 AM   #1
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Clinch Fighting In MMA

Do you guys enjoy clinch fighting in MMA. It seems to be, along with lay and pray, one of the most of putting aspects of the game to casual fans when new to watching the sport

It certainly has provided us with some highs (Wanderlei v Rampage) and some lows (Kongo's career). But it definitely is a subtle art with multiple different facets, uses and disciplines. From Muay Thai strikes (Anderson, Shogun), to dirty boxing (Frye, Randy) to takedowns (Fedor, Jon Jones) to submissions (Aoki, Rousey) and so on, it certainly has a lot more to offer a spectator than just plain ''hugging''

So who are some of the best clinch fighter/fight and who/what are the worst?

What are the strengths and weakness' of each particular style when matched up with each other?

Has one discipline proved more effective than the rest during the growth of MMA?

And have you gained a greater appreciation for the clinch game since you started watching the sport or do you yell at the TV for the Ref to separate fighters?
Stoo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
greathamza
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 117
Default Re: Clinch Fighting In MMA

Clinch fighting can be pretty good if the fighter knows what to do which in some cases they dont they just lean against the guy until the ref separates them usually it takes to long for the ref to separate them but Wandy and Anderson are guys you wouldnt want to be in a clinch with cuz of the knees coming for you.
Randy is one fine example of "dirty boxing". He had that shit down and i cant say i have seen someone who could replace him in that department. yet.

Nobody come in mind for worst clinch fighter other than maybe Kongo atm.

Muai thai is probably the discipline that have moved the clinch game forward the most in mma as some of the greatest fighters used it like Anderson and Wandy. Fighters see how dangerous it can be and want to use it
greathamza is offline  Top
Old 09-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #3
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Some examples

Wrestling
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcob9CaJaa0[/ame]

Dirty Boxing
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP-lFKMj7n8[/ame]

Muay Thai
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyDJrk7nVN0[/ame]

Judo
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj5Zal88pRM[/ame]

BJJ
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIy4a1A9cic[/ame]
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 09-04-2012, 11:05 AM   #4
Matt Ldn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1885

Can be really good. Along with leg kicks I never understand why guys don't throw more knees to the thigh of their opponent in the clinch. I remember when cunts used to give you a dead leg at school with a short knee to the side of the thigh. Slow your opponent down.
Matt Ldn is offline  Top
Old 09-04-2012, 12:10 PM   #5
boranbkk
"ไม่ได้โม้นะ"
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
Some examples

Dirty Boxing
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Muay Thai
"Bullshit baffles brain." and creates good marketing tools that make guys rich!

Stoo, I'm part of you fan club but really...the one where Silva leans back and goes for the knee...it defies science!!!
boranbkk is offline  Top
Old 09-04-2012, 01:07 PM   #6
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Ok ok, I'll try again

Muay Thai

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd29sZpMHiY[/ame]
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 09-04-2012, 02:26 PM   #7
Matty lll
Sweet Scientist
ESB Addict

I don't really like it, I enjoy seeing guys who are good at using the Muay Thai clinch or if they are both landing strikes, going for throws that sort of thing...but when they are just leaning against the cage that's really boring. It obvously takes a lot of fitness and is very hard but it puts me right to sleep.
Matty lll is offline  Top
Old 09-04-2012, 05:31 PM   #8
boranbkk
"ไม่ได้โม้นะ"
ESB Addict

Quote:
Ok ok, I'll try again

Muay Thai

Well at least that clip has some link to the source country, it was filmed there. For me that's an improvment on Silva teaching people the subtlties of the most misuderstood and mistaught techniques in Muay Thai!
boranbkk is offline  Top
Old 09-04-2012, 07:43 PM   #9
Colpolite
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

I enjoy 2 grown men with pink panties on, sweating and nuts on their faces rolling around on the ground.
Colpolite is offline  Top
Old 09-04-2012, 10:21 PM   #10
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru

vCash: 553

Like? I effing love it stoo, I will answer your questions in the next day or so.

I'm fascinated, and will probably take some bumps and bruises someday to learn some inside game. Anyone else?? Is it that easy to reverse your position and put your opponent up against the cage? Is letting your opponent put you on the cage a ploy? I just have to train, because two guys fighting for double underhooks is game changing shit.
BobDigi5060 is offline  Top
Old 09-05-2012, 02:39 AM   #11
rusty nails
Tszyu for PM!!
ESB Addict

its one of the reasons i used to love watching karo back in the day.
i love all the "boring" shit about mma. even lay and pray. i like seeing if the guy on bottom is going to be able to get the guy on top off him.
theres almost no such thing as a "boring fight" to me. only fights that are less exciting than others.
im the type of guy that when people are watching kalib starnes run im watching to see if nate quarry is going to turn on the heat.
rusty nails is offline  Top
Old 09-05-2012, 08:45 AM   #12
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colpolite View Post
I enjoy 2 grown men with pink panties on, sweating and nuts on their faces rolling around on the ground.
This is a thread about fighting techniques in the clinch Keep updates of your social life to Facebook faggit
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 09-08-2012, 02:38 AM   #13
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty nails View Post
its one of the reasons i used to love watching karo back in the day.
i love all the "boring" shit about mma. even lay and pray. i like seeing if the guy on bottom is going to be able to get the guy on top off him.
theres almost no such thing as a "boring fight" to me. only fights that are less exciting than others.
im the type of guy that when people are watching kalib starnes run im watching to see if nate quarry is going to turn on the heat.
You must be a sadist...
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 09-08-2012, 02:43 AM   #14
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Do you guys enjoy clinch fighting in MMA. It seems to be, along with lay and pray, one of the most of putting aspects of the game to casual fans when new to watching the sport

It certainly has provided us with some highs (Wanderlei v Rampage) and some lows (Kongo's career). But it definitely is a subtle art with multiple different facets, uses and disciplines. From Muay Thai strikes (Anderson, Shogun), to dirty boxing (Frye, Randy) to takedowns (Fedor, Jon Jones) to submissions (Aoki, Rousey) and so on, it certainly has a lot more to offer a spectator than just plain ''hugging''

So who are some of the best clinch fighter/fight and who/what are the worst?

What are the strengths and weakness' of each particular style when matched up with each other?

Has one discipline proved more effective than the rest during the growth of MMA?

And have you gained a greater appreciation for the clinch game since you started watching the sport or do you yell at the TV for the Ref to separate fighters?
I'm not sure it can even be called subtle. The reason why we don't see it much is because there are few bonafide strikers in MMA anymore. I love to watch the clinch game. Going to be a sad day when Henderson finally retires. Was a big part of MMA in the early days. Its been retired with all the vets that have left the sport.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 09-08-2012, 09:30 PM   #15
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Well subtle is relative Scurla. On TV is is harder to gauge, but knees to the thighs during an extended period of double underhooks take their toll as much as an Aldo/Pedro outside leg kick

Point is there if you wish too see it. whilst we are on this point, which medium lent itself to the clinch the best, cage or ring?
Stoo is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum