View Poll Results: More Skilled
Floyd "Money" Mayweather Jr. 107 50.95%
Roberto "Manos De Piedra" Duran 103 49.05%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-05-2012, 09:09 AM   #286
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Floyd or Duran - Most skilled?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brnxhands View Post
Floyd isn't even the most skilled of the last 15 years. One example is James Toney had more skill than Floyd. Floyd has the work ethic though. An Duran had even more to his game than James Toney. Duran had a great Defense and great offense. This is my opinion though
I`m not sure about the fmj-Toney thing, I won`t argue with that but I`m not sure if its how I feel about it, its certainly worth a debate though, I don`t imagine there is a huge gap between them whichever way you go.

Your right on Duran though, as complete as they have ever came & an undisputed elite ATG.
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2012, 11:40 AM   #287
klion22
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Butcher View Post
I`m not sure about the fmj-Toney thing, I won`t argue with that but I`m not sure if its how I feel about it, its certainly worth a debate though, I don`t imagine there is a huge gap between them whichever way you go.

Your right on Duran though, as complete as they have ever came & an undisputed elite ATG.
I realize that Duran is one of the top 10 greatest fighters ever and a true legend but if his skill was without blemish, how come he did get outboxed a few times against good boxers?
klion22 is offline  Top
Old 09-05-2012, 11:49 AM   #288
Vanboxingfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_man_army View Post
When people see the word skilled on ESB they read it as defense eventhough there is more to skill than just defense.

In terms of defense Floyd is better because that is the basis of his style, sitting back and counter punching. Now he can do more than that but that is the foundation of Floyd's stlye so it stands to reason that he can sit back and counter better than Duran. However, Duran has one of the best defences that I've seen for a come forward fighter. Duran was very skilled at coming forward and slipping shots as he was being the aggressor. People seem to have this notion that he got hit with lots of shots and relied on his chin but it isn't true to anywhere near the extent that people believe it is, Duran slipped shots very well.

Duran is undoubtedly the better boxer when it comes to offense. While Floyd is good - throws certain shots well and has under-rated pop on his punches, he just doesn't have the variety, power or application that Duran has when attacking. That also stands to reason since Duran has a more aggressive style than Mayweather.

I would go with Duran on the reasons above and the fact that he did it against a better level of opposition for such a long period.

As I said, it all depends on what you look at though. 'Skilled' has almost become a by-word for defense and counter punching on here but all areas should be taken into account.
By far, this is best post on this thread.
Vanboxingfan is offline  Top
Old 09-05-2012, 11:54 AM   #289
Vanboxingfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxNation View Post
What he said was completely inaccurate. He said that Mayweather weighs in at 153 pounds in his fights. That's fights plural. If you read the conversation, I never said Mayweather never weighed 152 or 153 pounds in any single fight. That guy was clearly stating that Floyd always does that and it's clear that he was wrong. My point was that Mayweather and Pacquiao weren't that different in terms of weight and he reluctantly agreed after trying to backtrack for a while.

Tell me, what was special about Duran's skill set?

The thing is if you don't already know then it's a waste of time trying to explain. You've either watched them both and know and appreciate both their styles or you haven't.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:00 PM   #290
Vanboxingfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Duran has the greater overall skillset, probably the most natural fighter there has ever been, floyd looks kinda robotic compared to Duran in full flow.

Even if floyd has an edge in defense, its nowhere near as clear as the edge Roberto has in offence or more importantly the ability Duran has to switch effortlessly between offence & defense.

Duran is the more skilled fighter, the much greater fighter career wise & would tear floyd apart in a fight both at their best from 135-147.

Duran is the correct answer here people, wake up please.

I don't have a problem someone watching both, breaking down their strengths and weaknesses and then picking Floyd, but even that would hard to understand given the obvious discrepancy in their offensive abilities. But at least I'd appreciate the effort.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:06 PM   #291
Vanboxingfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by klion22 View Post
I realize that Duran is one of the top 10 greatest fighters ever and a true legend but if his skill was without blemish, how come he did get outboxed a few times against good boxers?
I don't think any fighter is skilled without blemish and if Mayweather fought the comp that Duran did we might see blemishes as well. I certain suspect they would show up against Leonard and Hagler for example.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #292
klion22
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanboxingfan View Post
I don't think any fighter is skilled without blemish and if Mayweather fought the comp that Duran did we might see blemishes as well. I certain suspect they would show up against Leonard and Hagler for example.
Definitely. But i was simply responding to the guy who said that his skillsets were about as complete as anyones.
klion22 is offline  Top
Old 09-05-2012, 12:22 PM   #293
Vanboxingfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brnxhands View Post
Who did Floyd Counter? Roberto was a better boxer, and counterpuncher especilly at lightweight. Did everything better man. The fact that Floyd is leading in the polls says a lot about the dickhuggery on this site. That shoulder roll an right hand shit wouldnt have done dick against Duran.

It says more about the age group on this site than anything else. Most grew up watching Floyd and can't be bothered to sit down and watch Duran fights, so they just fill in the blanks based on what others say.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:38 PM   #294
Vanboxingfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVC View Post
Duran's inside game is insane, but Floyd always finds a way to get it done.
That's quite the technical analysis you've thrown at us..it's going to take me a couple of days to digest.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:40 PM   #295
like a boss
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander Tasco View Post
Whoever is more skilled is debatable, Floyd certainly is defensively, but Duran is a better fighter. He's proven that, and that's all that really matters.
like a boss is offline  Top
Old 09-05-2012, 10:00 PM   #296
JMP
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonito Smoak View Post
Nice avatar. Were you amongst those that ate nonstop shit and were insulted heavily from a few posters who eased way up on their post totals and never revisited their threads since the fight? Cause that was my experience when I expressed myself to apparently either the Hopkins fan or Dawson hate club.
No, I wasn't actually. I didn't make too many posts regarding the Dawson-Hopkins rematch aside from the occasional "Bernard is too far gone. Dawson has too many advantages at this stage."

Who are you taking this Saturday?
JMP is offline  Top
Old 09-05-2012, 10:19 PM   #297
Midwest_Chopper
Shalom
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klion22 View Post
Duran fans have the worst excuses of any fans ever dont bother.

Where is MAG1985 i love when he comes on here and rips Duran to pieces.
Midwest_Chopper is offline  Top
Old 09-05-2012, 10:27 PM   #298
Midwest_Chopper
Shalom
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
This again ?

Duran is more skilled overall, is the greater fighter career wise & would put an ass whippin on floyd prime v prime.

End thread.

The greatest defensive fighter of this generation, top 5 all time, and Duran walks through and destroys him.

Ok maaaybe if Duran gets to use his thumb in the eye technique.
Midwest_Chopper is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2012, 10:51 PM   #299
Garrus
Big Boss 1935-2014
ESB Addict

Location: A Hero Forever Loyal To The Flames Of War, Rests in Outer Heaven
vCash: 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest_Chopper View Post

The greatest defensive fighter of this generation, top 5 all time, and Duran walks through and destroys him.

Ok maaaybe if Duran gets to use his thumb in the eye technique.

Garrus is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2012, 10:57 PM   #300
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

JMP seized this thread.
Hands of Iron is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum