Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 09-05-2012, 11:42 AM   #1
NVSemin
Sugar Boxing
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Movements over the ring

Hello,

I basically walk over the ring or bounce sometimes when not too tired.
I want to master something more advance, more stylish so to speak.
Please, share some tips/ tuts / videos you know.

Thanks!
NVSemin is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2012, 12:37 PM   #2
Matty lll
Sweet Scientist
ESB Addict

Default Re: Movements over the ring

What do you mean stylish?
Matty lll is offline  Top
Old 09-05-2012, 12:59 PM   #3
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

you trying to move like cashflow?
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok1uKauCCgY&feature=player_embedded[/ame]
bballchump11 is offline  Top
Old 09-05-2012, 01:19 PM   #4
Brand NOOBian
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

This is the video I watched and learned from when I first decided to step in the ring and practice movement:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udddgo6LcLI[/ame]

I know it's bad to cross your legs, but I feel more comfortable moving this way and never cross my legs when I'm in range of being hit.

Freddie Roach says never to cross your legs in this video, but I notice he does something similar around the 4:25 mark when he moves to his left.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvEpSJIQ2Gg[/ame]

While watching old Sugar Ray Leonard matches, I noticed he does something similar too when moving laterally.

Any cons to moving this way?
Brand NOOBian is offline  Top
Old 09-06-2012, 04:26 AM   #5
BoxinScienceUSA
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

the guy in the video above freddie is practicing patterns and i'm curious if he knows why or if it's just a pattern. you want to be in control of your body, not your body in control of you. when he's doing his circle drill he does the same thing to the left or right; big step, small shuffle, cross his legs. in the big picture this is fine (b/c he'll learn how to adapt the next move off of this move) but this video is labelled "beginner" and these are advanced moves.

he also talks about "galloping" which looks great while shadow boxing but can take some time to perfect in practical application. a gallop will give you a moment of a small base (feet less than your shoulders). remember that your base is there to support you while you either apply force and have force applied to you. it takes practice to master your range and timing with this to make galloping super effective, but can be super valuable to gain quick distance on a retreating opponent. again, advanced.

skills are not inherently good or bad, they're situational. crossing your legs are bad for your base but give a narrow target. practice what to do from that narrow target both offensively and defensively. a problem with crossing your legs only when you're safe is that you're giving your "tell" away. everytime you relax and cross your legs your opponent will know there's nothing to worry about. try looking like you're ready at every moment and and when you internally relax he won't know it and he'll still be on his toes.

and advanced and stylish are not the same thing. everything in the ring has purpose to it.
BoxinScienceUSA is offline  Top
Old 09-06-2012, 04:50 AM   #6
r1p00pk
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 253

Double post

Delete
r1p00pk is offline  Top
Old 09-06-2012, 04:55 AM   #7
r1p00pk
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brand NOOBian View Post
This is the video I watched and learned from when I first decided to step in the ring and practice movement:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

I know it's bad to cross your legs, but I feel more comfortable moving this way and never cross my legs when I'm in range of being hit.

Freddie Roach says never to cross your legs in this video, but I notice he does something similar around the 4:25 mark when he moves to his left.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

While watching old Sugar Ray Leonard matches, I noticed he does something similar too when moving laterally.

Any cons to moving this way?
Would you say you have athletic tributes like leonard? If so then go ahead if not and even if you are athletic, just stick with the basic footwork. You want to be. In attacking position all the time. Are you comfortable punching, can you put power into your punches, can you hit the target and punch right when your legs are crossing?

This is my honest opinion, basics are the best. I learned my lesson when I finally learned in the ring, I was off balance, would cross my legs, could not punch properly because I'd be in a position where I couldn't throw a punch right.you want to be able to sort of be in the position to always attack. Like when you step out of punching range in an angle then be able to step in and fire back right away. I always wondered how my coach was always in position to do this when stepping out in an angle so fluently. It's the basic footwork that made it look fluid. The only time to cross your legs would be the only time you're oponent would not strike, because he's too far out of range but even then you have those guys who like to lunge and you wanna take advantage of everry moment. You can get fancy out of range but a lot of fancy looking footwork takes you out of position to fire back. Just my two cents
r1p00pk is offline  Top
Old 09-06-2012, 11:22 AM   #8
NVSemin
Sugar Boxing
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty lll View Post
What do you mean stylish?
Like Sugar Ray or Pernell Whitaker or Mike Tyson. Just looks special

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballchump11 View Post
you trying to move like cashflow?
I watched the video. One guys moves with drop-step, the other one does side to side movements. What do you exactly mean by "move like cashflow"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brand NOOBian View Post
Thanks! Post more like this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxinScienceUSA View Post
everything in the ring has purpose to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by r1p00pk View Post
If so then go ahead if not and even if you are athletic, just stick with the basic footwork. You want to be. In attacking position all the time. Are you comfortable punching, can you put power into your punches, can you hit the target and punch right when your legs are crossing?

This is my honest opinion, basics are the best.

Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate your opinions. You are right from the standpoint of ...eh how to calll it? survival in the ring maybe?
Ray Leonard used to say: "I never said I want to be a world champion. I always said that I want to be special." So, he talks from the standpoint of performance

Well, I won't be worldchampion. This is already clear But I can still try to be special
NVSemin is offline  Top
Old 09-06-2012, 12:33 PM   #9
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Cashflow is the knick name of the latino kid
bballchump11 is offline  Top
Old 09-06-2012, 03:02 PM   #10
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121

I'd say developing bad habits is different from knowing the rules and deciding when to break them. I'd say unless you've got an established career, you're much better off practicing the fundamentals and trying to do everything right. What's stylish isn't important. I do see certain advantages in "walking" with crossing feet when very out of range of your opponent to change the angle or lead the opponent in a certain direction, but I've seen that from the likes of Martinez and Hopkins, and I'm sure they took the time to master most or all the basics before attempting unorthodoxy.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 09-06-2012, 05:29 PM   #11
r1p00pk
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVSemin View Post
Like Sugar Ray or Pernell Whitaker or Mike Tyson. Just looks special

I watched the video. One guys moves with drop-step, the other one does side to side movements. What do you exactly mean by "move like cashflow"?

Thanks! Post more like this!

Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate your opinions. You are right from the standpoint of ...eh how to calll it? survival in the ring maybe?
Ray Leonard used to say: "I never said I want to be a world champion. I always said that I want to be special." So, he talks from the standpoint of performance

Well, I won't be worldchampion. This is already clear But I can still try to be special
wasnt trying to hack on you or anything just don't want to have anyone like myself and other people in my gym having to re do everything and start from the basics. It's easy to rush into things.
r1p00pk is offline  Top
Old 09-07-2012, 05:16 AM   #12
NVSemin
Sugar Boxing
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1p00pk View Post
wasnt trying to hack on you or anything just don't want to have anyone like myself and other people in my gym having to re do everything and start from the basics. It's easy to rush into things.
I totally agree. First things first and fundamental are very important!

The purpose of the thread is to gather some stuff on advanced movement. That's ti
NVSemin is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing