Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 09-06-2012, 11:58 PM   #1
Slacker
Big & Slow
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Fixed the problem with my left hook

The trainer I do drills with always gives me shit about how wide and telegraphed my left hook is.

Tonight we figured out that the problem wasn't directly the left hook, but the right cross setting it up. We found that I was overextending the punch, which put me out of position.

Interesting because I've been practicing it by setting it up with the right on the bag but the bag keeps the punch from overextending, so you don't see it until you work the mitts.

Anyway...thought it was ironic that the punch showing obvious problems wasn't at fault. Once I put more snap and shortened the right, the left came off much better.

Hope that helps someone else.
Slacker is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2012, 01:01 AM   #2
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121
Default Re: Fixed the problem with my left hook

Good for you man. Always good to try different exercises out for your punching form; a bag alone won't cut it.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 09-07-2012, 02:01 AM   #3
r1p00pk
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 253

I hate moments like these where it's acually so obvious too but no one really tells you the problem to how to fix it. Last week I sparred, jab was perfect, nice loose and snappy. The only problem was when I stepped in with the jab, my sparring partner was able to see it comming. I eventually told the guy, great sparring match and complimented him on the good hits he landed as he did the same and then I asked if my jabs were better and he said they were, much faster and stronger then finally told me whenever I stepped in with the jab imy shoulder gives it away unlike when I stand in place and jab where it is not telegraphed. This was jab sparring btw. Man did I feel stupid after, my coach always said it'll just click in your head. This was the case for when I finally punched loose and snappy but luckily someeone saved me the time of telling me specifically what was wrong.
r1p00pk is offline  Top
Old 09-07-2012, 04:13 AM   #4
NVSemin
Sugar Boxing
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker View Post
The trainer I do drills with always gives me shit about how wide and telegraphed my left hook is.
I encountered that many times too..

Thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker View Post
Tonight we figured out that the problem wasn't directly the left hook, but the right cross setting it up. We found that I was overextending the punch, which put me out of position.
Sometimes you can just feint the right punch
NVSemin is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing