Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

View Poll Results: Is Greg killing the sport?
Yes 9 23.68%
No 15 39.47%
Some fights are dull, but plenty are exciting 8 21.05%
**** off Johnstown! 6 15.79%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-26-2012, 12:50 PM   #46
Rico Spadafora
Best Chin On ESB
East Side VIP

vCash: 1158
Default Re: Is Greg Jackson killing the sport?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
A string of underwhelming main events, boring tap and dash game plans and now refusing fights...

Is the heat Greg been getting from fans and know Dana himself warranted?

What are the plus points that Greg brings to MMA?

Personally I have never seen what the big deal is with this guy......
Rico Spadafora is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2012, 01:14 PM   #47
AJAX
war sonnen!
ESB Addict

vCash: 3450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Spadafora View Post
Personally I have never seen what the big deal is with this guy......
He was the architech behind Guida's running man fight against Maynard also condits hit and run against Diaz(although not to bad of fight) and is mainly responsable for GSP's transformation into the safety first fighter he has turned into.
AJAX is offline  Top
Old 09-08-2012, 10:09 AM   #48
CarlesX7
Shit got real!
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Of course not.

Quote:
Not my words, but Dana cant be happy after Clay v Grey and Diaz v Condit and now having to cancel a PPV. Shit costs money
I still don't get why people that are not named Diaz are bitching for the Condit fight. Surely Condit shouldn't have just stood in front of Diaz until he got knocked out. This is MMA, it isn't a 'who has the better chin' contest.
CarlesX7 is offline  Top
Old 09-08-2012, 05:33 PM   #49
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlesX7 View Post
Of course not.

I still don't get why people that are not named Diaz are bitching for the Condit fight. Surely Condit shouldn't have just stood in front of Diaz until he got knocked out. This is MMA, it isn't a 'who has the better chin' contest.
Well, it all boils down to intentions. The most decisive manner of victory is finishing your opponent inside the distance. If you go into a fight trying to finish your opponent and time happens to run out, that is one thing. Going into the fight thinking it is going to go the distance, and fighting to win by not losing is another.

Look at why this sport developed. The sport developed mainly out of trying to prove the best discipline for self defense. This best way to demonstrate this was in a fight with limited rules(no eye gouging, biting, or throat strikes) and no time limits. The winner had to finish the opponent. BJJ ultimately proved to be the superior fighting style.

Fights had to become timed for television purposes. Promoters purchase blocks of air time for events, and there is no way to ensure an event ends on time without time limits. This is why a scoring method became necessary.

Today, mma is not as much about proving the better style. However, it is about proving who the best fighter is. This should come down to finishing opponents. I realize it is impossible for a fighter to win inside the distance every time out, but they should still try. Condit had no intentions of finishing Diaz. Condit was fighting for a points victory. Victory by decision is not what mma is about. Fighting for the finish is what mma is about.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 09-08-2012, 06:54 PM   #50
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekcutnevets View Post
Well, it all boils down to intentions. The most decisive manner of victory is finishing your opponent inside the distance. If you go into a fight trying to finish your opponent and time happens to run out, that is one thing. Going into the fight thinking it is going to go the distance, and fighting to win by not losing is another.

Look at why this sport developed. The sport developed mainly out of trying to prove the best discipline for self defense. This best way to demonstrate this was in a fight with limited rules(no eye gouging, biting, or throat strikes) and no time limits. The winner had to finish the opponent. BJJ ultimately proved to be the superior fighting style.

Condit had no intentions of finishing Diaz. Condit was fighting for a points victory. Victory by decision is not what mma is about. Fighting for the finish is what mma is about.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho[/ame]
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 09-08-2012, 08:04 PM   #51
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

Quote:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Much appreciated
Old 09-08-2012, 08:10 PM   #52
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I do actually appreciate every word of that post. Just thought Id communicate it through the medium of an epic 80's montage.
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 09-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #53
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

Quote:
I do actually appreciate every word of that post. Just thought Id communicate it through the medium of an epic 80's montage.
My apologies in advance if I say something weird, but I'm a bit drunk at the moment.

I took your post as a compliment, and didn't think there were any sarcastic undertones.

I appreciate the "you're the best" being in song more than I would if you had simply typed it. That actually made my day.

Thanks again.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:33 PM   #54
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

As if Im not drinking...

**** it fella, it's my thread

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oDTNEEu3Rw[/ame]
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 09-08-2012, 11:21 PM   #55
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

Quote:
As if Im not drinking...

**** it fella, it's my thread

I passed out in my chair before I had a chance to respond. True story.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdREFQE5DBA[/ame]
Old 09-09-2012, 12:55 AM   #56
CarlesX7
Shit got real!
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:

Fights had to become timed for television purposes. Promoters purchase blocks of air time for events, and there is no way to ensure an event ends on time without time limits. This is why a scoring method became necessary.

Today, mma is not as much about proving the better style. However, it is about proving who the best fighter is. This should come down to finishing opponents. I realize it is impossible for a fighter to win inside the distance every time out, but they should still try. Condit had no intentions of finishing Diaz. Condit was fighting for a points victory. Victory by decision is not what mma is about. Fighting for the finish is what mma is about.
All this is opinion. Yea, I like it too when fighters try to finish fights, but I am not going to condemn a fighter if he doesn't go for the finish, when it is clear that he's minimizing his chances of winning if he goes for it. I am not sure that there is any fighter alive right now that could finish Nick Diaz. So having that in mind, I can't accuse Condit of 'fighting safety first' or whatever. He did what he had to do to win vs a tough as nails fighter with an incredible chin.

Fighting to win by not losing? Wtf does that mean? If you were a HW boxer and you had to fight Oliver McCall, would you try to knock him the **** out, or try to outscore him? Do you think that people should give you shit if you won a pts victory? Come on now. Every fight is different. And we're talking about a guy (Condit) who has 26 finishes out of his 28 wins.
CarlesX7 is offline  Top
Old 09-09-2012, 09:47 AM   #57
sugarngold
RIDDUM
East Side Guru

vCash: 157

**** off Johnstown!
sugarngold is offline  Top
Old 09-09-2012, 09:51 AM   #58
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Aint no Johnstown in this thread son
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2012, 10:40 PM   #59
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlesX7 View Post
All this is opinion. Yea, I like it too when fighters try to finish fights, but I am not going to condemn a fighter if he doesn't go for the finish, when it is clear that he's minimizing his chances of winning if he goes for it. I am not sure that there is any fighter alive right now that could finish Nick Diaz. So having that in mind, I can't accuse Condit of 'fighting safety first' or whatever. He did what he had to do to win vs a tough as nails fighter with an incredible chin.

Fighting to win by not losing? Wtf does that mean? If you were a HW boxer and you had to fight Oliver McCall, would you try to knock him the **** out, or try to outscore him? Do you think that people should give you shit if you won a pts victory? Come on now. Every fight is different. And we're talking about a guy (Condit) who has 26 finishes out of his 28 wins.
You seem to be suggesting that I'm wanting someone to just wage in, and go shot for shot until someone gets knocked out. That is not what I am advocating. I will repeat:
Quote:
This is an mma thread, but you bring up boxing and Oliver McCall. If I were fighting Oliver McCall, I would try to choke him out. **** going for the knock out, but you can't do that in boxing. Anyway, I always liked boxing. It was 1989 when I began to follow the sport seriously. It didn't take me long to find out who Pernell Whitaker was. Whitaker became my favorite fighter.

Pernell won more fights by decision than he did by knock out, but he still followed the rule that I hold mma fighters by. Whitaker didn't hit with concussive power. Still, Whitaker beat people up. Whitaker had a great jab, a consistent body attack, good counters, and good combinations.

Condit may have 26 of 28 wins inside the distance, but he "fought" Diaz as though he were playing tag. Pernell would have been ashamed of Condit's effort. There was no run and gun, it was just run and run.

You may like watching people win using a gimmick, but I don't. What I saw is a man that would have been hunted down if the bout were held without a time limit.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:48 PM   #60
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177

Quote:
Condit may have 26 of 28 wins inside the distance, but he "fought" Diaz as though he were playing tag. Pernell would have been ashamed of Condit's effort. There was no run and gun, it was just run and run.
Run and run, and outland your opponent, and use a greater variety of strikes, and land the harder shots, and make him look like a one-dimensional clueless fool.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum