Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 09-12-2012, 06:11 AM   #1
PIRA
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Parry / counterpunch

What do you prefer - parry with one hand and punch with the other or parry / punch off the same hand?

I have heard reasons for and against for both - wonder what others think.
PIRA is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2012, 06:23 AM   #2
captain hook
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1794
Default Re: Parry / counterpunch

all great counters in right moment

parrying with right hand and punching with left (jab or hook) is classic counter without taking too much risk

counter with the parry hand is used when you know his jabs rhythm, its very difficult but when trained it works perfect
captain hook is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2012, 06:58 AM   #3
godlikerich
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Generally rely on my rear hand to parry and the lead hand to counter, my left hand is my better hand anyway - my hook is about 4 times as hard as my right hand even though I am right handed. Anyway I tend to rely on the ol' 80-20 rule of doing 80% of your offensive work with the lead hand and only 20% defensive work and vice versa for the rear hand which I pretty much rely on to parry and protect myself along with my left shoulder. Of course, a southpaw ****s that all up and you end up parrying his right jab down with your lead hand quite a lot; I will counter with the same lead hand then. But against an orthodox fighter I rarely parry with the rear hand and then fire off a counter with it. I have done it to surprise people occasionally but it doesn't tend to feel a hard enough punch for me; I prefer to try and roll to the right away from blows and then come over with right hands or under with uppercuts; bloody hard to time it right against fast fighters (Mayweather and Toney make it look so easy) but when it works (quite often against slow people) it works like a charm and can really hurt people because they walk on to the punch and you have the torque of your core going into it. Generally then, I parry with one hand and hit with the other.
godlikerich is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2012, 07:34 AM   #4
captain hook
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1794

yeah, parry hand countering is not so hard punch cause its fast and in 90% cases it is thrown from shoulders, but its nice move and judges will see it !
captain hook is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2012, 08:02 AM   #5
weegriffin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 3275

I mainly use parry the jab with the right hand and jab back with the left.

You can parry and punch with the right hand but it would be more difficult to land but it probably isn't as predictable as parry the jab and jab/ hook back with the left hand, so you could likely catch your opponent of gaurd a few times.
weegriffin is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2012, 08:26 AM   #6
boxbible
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Parrying and punching off the same hand means that, to get power in the shot, you will have to lean into the punch. While it creates sensational opportunities, the downside is that, in a tough, gruelling fight, a slight mistiming, and you're dead. Ask Bute for a recent example.

Countering with the opposite hand entails you to ride the punch, or slide away from it, to load the counter. So, as you parry, you're adding another element of defence.

So, if you're countering a right hand, the same hand guy would lean into the punch to set up the left hook counter off of the left hand parry. The opposite hand counterer would dip onto his back foot to set up the right hand counter, sliding away from the opponent's right, a la Mayweather and Toney. Why can't I think of an example of the former? Probably because they're getting knocked out all the time. Oh wait, Corrales used to do it.

If you watch all the great old timers, they all use opposite hand countering. I have a feeling that same hand countering started being taught when focus pads started coming into use. Its way easier to teach same hand countering on the mitts than opposite hand countering.
boxbible is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2012, 08:33 AM   #7
PIRA
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxbible View Post
Parrying and punching off the same hand means that, to get power in the shot, you will have to lean into the punch. While it creates sensational opportunities, the downside is that, in a tough, gruelling fight, a slight mistiming, and you're dead. Ask Bute for a recent example.

Countering with the opposite hand entails you to ride the punch, or slide away from it, to load the counter. So, as you parry, you're adding another element of defence.

So, if you're countering a right hand, the same hand guy would lean into the punch to set up the left hook counter off of the left hand parry. The opposite hand counterer would dip onto his back foot to set up the right hand counter, sliding away from the opponent's right, a la Mayweather and Toney. Why can't I think of an example of the former? Probably because they're getting knocked out all the time. Oh wait, Corrales used to do it.

If you watch all the great old timers, they all use opposite hand countering. I have a feeling that same hand countering started being taught when focus pads started coming into use. Its way easier to teach same hand countering on the mitts than opposite hand countering.
PIRA is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing