Old 09-12-2012, 04:43 PM   #1
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default MMA is in a Slump? Agree?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWSMUFuPlpA[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUIl-nEu8iw[/ame]

Good times in Pride. These clips made a lot of people interested in mixed martial arts.

Sure you can agree it's times like this you wish UFC didn't monopolize and destroy the competition. it does seem with UFC striking all this bad luck MMA seems to be in a slump. Thoughts?
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
unloco
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 81
Default Re: MMA is in a Slump? Agree?

ufc is dying , serves it right for all the shit they said about boxing

when it dies i hope Pride comes back in some form or another
unloco is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2012, 05:47 PM   #3
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166

It isnīt dying.....simply is not a novelty anymore....
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2012, 06:01 PM   #4
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177

It's had a shocking run of luck/bad decisions lately, but a lot of it is just bad luck.

No organization in the history of the sport could comfortably soak up the run of high-profile injuries that the UFC has had in the last few months, and not have their events affected.

It's not a fad anymore, its two biggest stars haven't competed lately (Brock is gone and GSP has been out) and basically every card has been significantly impacted by injury. Even simple shit like Overeem getting suspended - that guy would be generating a lot of excitement right about now, if he wasn't a retard.

Still, it's not all bad.

There are no Pac/Mayweather situations.

GSP and Silva seem keen to fight each other.

Most of the champions are strong, some ATGs, one a potential #1 p4p ATG.

Most divisions have a highly competitive top 5.

The sport is far more accessible than it has ever been before.

The LW title is being defended on free TV in a couple of months, and it's almost guaranteed to be a good scrap.

The fighters are earning more than ever before, and there are more gyms and more guys training than ever before.

And there's not an earpiece to be seen on any of the refs.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2012, 08:22 PM   #5
boranbkk
"ไม่ได้โม้นะ"
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic-JofreBRASIL View Post
It isnīt dying.....simply is not a novelty anymore....
This as well as spreading itself too thin.

Wait til the lightweights really get going and you start to get a massive influx of seasoned and expereinced striking talent eons superior to anything on display at the momnet in the UFC. Many quality strikers are seriously thinking about moving over, but the difference these days is they want to do it earlier which gives them the chance of developig good grappling skills. You'll get a weight class with real depth from a truely international pool, very competative.

Anyone wanna see a top Mexican v Thai MMA bout, **** yea I do!

Guys like this for example:

http://fightsportasia.com/2012/09/12/thailands-pinto-brothers-looking-to-enter-mma/

Last edited by boranbkk; 09-12-2012 at 09:05 PM.
boranbkk is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2012, 09:01 PM   #6
MaliSlamusrex
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Not even close. There are smaller growing organizations all over the world now. People just associate MMA with the UFC and think if the UFC have had a lot of injuries that must be it for MMA. Melvin Manhoef might be on a losing streak but he is fighting in Seoul on Saturday with all of the top Korean fighters. OneFC is doing okay. and Bamma is doing well in the UK. Most fans are just upset that MMA isn't the WWF.
MaliSlamusrex is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2012, 09:07 PM   #7
boranbkk
"ไม่ได้โม้นะ"
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaliSlamusrex View Post
Not even close. There are smaller growing organizations all over the world now. People just associate MMA with the UFC and think if the UFC have had a lot of injuries that must be it for MMA. Melvin Manhoef might be on a losing streak but he is fighting in Seoul on Saturday with all of the top Korean fighters. OneFC is doing okay. and Bamma is doing well in the UK. Most fans are just upset that MMA isn't the WWF.
Good post.

MMA is booming in Asia. People forget it's big world out there and they also forget where alot of the fighting techniques on display in UFC come from!
boranbkk is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2012, 09:09 PM   #8
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I agree, it's in a slump - but slumps are by definition temporary. So yes, I would agree that there is little to get excited about right now. Heck, I even thought it was just me. But I think there's still plenty of potential - if I said why, i'd just be repeating what the previous posters said. But I don't think it's anywhere near the end of its lifecycle.
Speechless is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2012, 10:19 PM   #9
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Just to be clear, by slump I meant in a temporary rutt. Mma is here to stay and only getting bigger. although the slump is obviously no good for growth and frustrating for fans who follow the sport.
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2012, 11:07 PM   #10
Primate
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post
And there's not an earpiece to be seen on any of the refs.

Couldn't resist could you?

Aside from that, you actually made some excellent points. MMA is more accessible than it's ever been, OneFC making full use of Youtube, UFC putting all the prelims on facebook for free.

Like pretty much everyone else, I'd like to see the UFC move away from the over-saturation of PPVs. I'll take less MMA if it comes in at a consistently higher quality.
Primate is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2012, 11:24 PM   #11
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primate View Post
Couldn't resist could you?
Unfortunately not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primate View Post
Aside from that, you actually made some excellent points. MMA is more accessible than it's ever been, OneFC making full use of Youtube, UFC putting all the prelims on facebook for free.

Like pretty much everyone else, I'd like to see the UFC move away from the over-saturation of PPVs. I'll take less MMA if it comes in at a consistently higher quality.
I'll take the same amount of MMA, but more of it on free TV. PPVs should be for title fights or high-profile title eliminators. With the odd title fight on free TV.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2012, 11:30 PM   #12
SugarShane_24
ESB good-looking member
ESB Addict

Well, it would have been better had UFC managed to push through without any injuries.

Or have better backup plans in case something get screwed up.

Anyways, if UFC ever manages to get itself extinct, MMA might be in for a dark period.
SugarShane_24 is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2012, 11:52 PM   #13
Tko4
Left high kick
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

MMA isn't dying or going away, but there's no doubt the UFC has taken a serious hit in recent months. Dana got greedy and tried to grow the sport way too fast the last couple years. They can't sustain a PPV every six weeks and still put on the kind of quality product that people want to pay for. Too much shit lately.
Tko4 is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2012, 11:54 PM   #14
Big Red
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1036

I think part of the problem is it is not on free tv much anymore, especially the UFC.

I watch Belletor on chanell 410 where I live, but I used to be able to watch the "Wire" which showed quite a few classic fights from the UFC on channel 405. Most nights I used to be able to watch old UFC fights on 'Spike", now they don't have any mma at all on that channel.

I recently upgraded my satalite package with channel 388, a purely fighting chanel for an extra 5$ a month its good and shows a lot of mma and boxing, but no UFC fights unfortunatly. Lately if I want to watch UFC I have to use ppv.

I thought the UFC had the right idea by showing there fights often on free tv, but now they don't at all. Actually boxing is on free tv more often then the UFC or MMA period.
Big Red is offline  Top
Old 09-13-2012, 12:07 AM   #15
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 847

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red View Post
I thought the UFC had the right idea by showing there fights often on free tv, but now they don't at all. Actually boxing is on free tv more often then the UFC or MMA period.
Well, they have certainly upped the number of free events.
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum