Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 09-13-2012, 09:37 AM   #16
fatcity
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2000
Default Re: MMA is in a Slump? Agree?

PPV numbers a a way down and they "paper" the arena to help fill the arena for tv purposes.The excitement is gone and they killed the golden goose with over exposure and pure greed.
fatcity is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2012, 09:54 AM   #17
EL BULLY
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

A generation of big names has retired and this is a natural slump. 2013-14 could well be the best years ever for all we know. There are some big fights slowly lining themselves up. Some of the best fighters of all time (potentially) hold belts in the UFC. GSP, Silva, Jones and Dos Santos. Proper champions that will all be in big fights. UFC will be around for a lot longer yet.
EL BULLY is offline  Top
Old 09-13-2012, 11:52 AM   #18
outtieDrake
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

No.to much bitching going on here as of late , one of the reasons i stop coming here .

its just tv its just a sport . go outside ppl hug your family , hug your kids , and then comeback inside and pay the 45$ or stream it for free and enjoy the show.
outtieDrake is offline  Top
Old 09-13-2012, 01:11 PM   #19
Greco
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

It kinda feels like it's in a slump right now with all of these cards getting altered because of injuries.
Greco is offline  Top
Old 09-13-2012, 05:57 PM   #20
Big Red
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1036

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Floyd View Post
Well, they have certainly upped the number of free events.
Yeah, but they are few and very far between. I have HBO and I get more free boxing events then UFC events. It used to be that the UFC was on TV all the time, almost every day. Thats not the case anymore.

The casual fans don't have that long of attention span to stay interested in UFC if there is so little of it to watch imo.

I watch way more bellator and "The Score Fighting Series"then UFC because its hard for me to justify spending that much money on ppv. As with many close to middle class people. And its also very hard to find free streams of UFC ppv events and there are not many ufc fights on youtube at all.
Big Red is offline  Top
Old 09-13-2012, 07:15 PM   #21
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by outtieDrake View Post
No.to much bitching going on here as of late , one of the reasons i stop coming here .

its just tv its just a sport . go outside ppl hug your family , hug your kids , and then comeback inside and pay the 45$ or stream it for free and enjoy the show.

****ing right.

I think this forum gives a distorted reflection of what is going on, because this place is SO relentlessly negative. Most of the threads and posts here are just bitter, frustrated people bitching and hating.

Half the posters here don't even come off as MMA fans. All they ever do is piss and moan and complain about how everything is shit and was SO much better when the sport was an irrelevant, unorganized, unregulated circus show that had zero presence and zero future anywhere in the Western world.

People need to get the **** over themselves. You want to watch the fights? Watch the fights. It's easier now than it has ever been before.

You like PRIDE better than the UFC? So ****ing what. PRIDE has been dead and gone for years now. I loved watching the Australian cricket team thrash all-comers for years, and now they suck. So what? I don't spam cricket forums moaning about how great things used to be, and talking shit about everything that's happening now. Cricket is bigger than one team, same as MMA is bigger than one org.

If I can only watch cricket when my team is dominating, and I have nothing positive to say about the sport when the wheel turns, then I'm not a ****ing cricket fan. I'm just an Australian cricket team fanboy.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Old 09-13-2012, 07:59 PM   #22
dillinja

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post

****ing right.

I think this forum gives a distorted reflection of what is going on, because this place is SO relentlessly negative. Most of the threads and posts here are just bitter, frustrated people bitching and hating.

Half the posters here don't even come off as MMA fans. All they ever do is piss and moan and complain about how everything is shit and was SO much better when the sport was an irrelevant, unorganized, unregulated circus show that had zero presence and zero future anywhere in the Western world.

People need to get the **** over themselves. You want to watch the fights? Watch the fights. It's easier now than it has ever been before.

You like PRIDE better than the UFC? So ****ing what. PRIDE has been dead and gone for years now. I loved watching the Australian cricket team thrash all-comers for years, and now they suck. So what? I don't spam cricket forums moaning about how great things used to be, and talking shit about everything that's happening now. Cricket is bigger than one team, same as MMA is bigger than one org.

If I can only watch cricket when my team is dominating, and I have nothing positive to say about the sport when the wheel turns, then I'm not a ****ing cricket fan. I'm just an Australian cricket team fanboy.

Your point is a good one but its a poor analogy, comparing a team to a company.
Also the fact that pride used to provide a competition for ufc so they had to up their game but in doing so they have tried to create a monopoly removing a key factor in moving things forward competition.
In regards to ufc i think they should have a weekly free tv card and then maybe 6 big pay per view events per year.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:15 PM   #23
boranbkk
"ไม่ได้โม้นะ"
ESB Addict

I'm with you on this Haggis, particularly the last bit.

As u know I'm just a casual MMA follower, but I can see there is to much focus on the UFC which is obviously going though a bit of a transition. I think with what's going on around the world at grass roots level and with all the organisations popping up I think the future's never looked better for MMA.

Change is inevitable in all things. Some change is good and some is bad. One thing I di know, the change that has happened in MMA is good, very good for the fighters and to me that's what the bottom line is.

If you call yourself a fan you'll love the sport and support the sport worts and all, ups and downs. If you wanna see elite fighters fight, pay them buy that PPV and enjoy it.
boranbkk is offline  Top
Old 09-13-2012, 08:16 PM   #24
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillinja View Post
Your point is a good one but its a poor analogy, comparing a team to a company.
I HATE the IPL. (Indian Premier League - a big-money cricket competition.) Hate it. Hate what it is, hate what it represents. Hate how focused it is on corporate greed and short-term profits. Hate what it does to the game.

So what? I don't sit on cricket forums for years doing nothing but bitching about how the IPL sucks, and whining that anyone who likes it is a fanboy moron, and moaning that anyone who didn't watch Warne bowl in his prime knows nothing about cricket.

Quote:
Also the fact that pride used to provide a competition for ufc so they had to up their game but in doing so they have tried to create a monopoly removing a key factor in moving things forward competition.
First, it's not a bad thing for one org to have prominence. Every one of us here would have LOVED to see Fedor vs Brock a few years ago. Why didn't it happen? Promotional companies couldn't agree on terms, so the fight never happened. Same shit as with Pac-May. Having all the talent in one org is good for fans, so long as the top guys fight each other on the regular. Which they do. There are not many joke title defences in the UFC, and the most deserving challenger almost always gets his shot.

Second, the rise of the UFC has put thousands and thousands of young guys in MMA training gyms all over the world. It's caused hundreds of MMA gyms to open, filling a demand that simply wasn't there in the West in the pre-Zuffa era.

For example, the UFC isn't going to open up and run an Australian circuit. Australian MMA promotions will emerge as the local talent emerges to make profitable shows possible. No sense trying to run MMA events in Australia pre-Zuffa - the sport had zero credibility. After the UFC hosted PPVs in Sydney? Now an Australian MMA circuit becomes feasible.

Quote:
In regards to ufc i think they should have a weekly free tv card and then maybe 6 big pay per view events per year.
Agreed. That sounds almost ideal.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:26 PM   #25
dillinja

vCash:

Quote:
I HATE the IPL. (Indian Premier League - a big-money cricket competition.) Hate it. Hate what it is, hate what it represents. Hate how focused it is on corporate greed and short-term profits. Hate what it does to the game.

So what? I don't sit on cricket forums for years doing nothing but bitching about how the IPL sucks, and whining that anyone who likes it is a fanboy moron, and moaning that anyone who didn't watch Warne bowl in his prime knows nothing about cricket.

Tbf though i reckon there are plenty that do

First, it's not a bad thing for one org to have prominence. Every one of us here would have LOVED to see Fedor vs Brock a few years ago. Why didn't it happen? Promotional companies couldn't agree on terms, so the fight never happened. Same shit as with Pac-May. Having all the talent in one org is good for fans, so long as the top guys fight each other on the regular. Which they do. There are not many joke title defences in the UFC, and the most deserving challenger almost always gets his shot.

Second, the rise of the UFC has put thousands and thousands of young guys in MMA training gyms all over the world. It's caused hundreds of MMA gyms to open, filling a demand that simply wasn't there in the West in the pre-Zuffa era.

For example, the UFC isn't going to open up and run an Australian circuit. Australian MMA promotions will emerge as the local talent emerges to make profitable shows possible. No sense trying to run MMA events in Australia pre-Zuffa - the sport had zero credibility. After the UFC hosted PPVs in Sydney? Now an Australian MMA circuit becomes feasible.

Some very valid points my only issue is the way the sport will develop with only one main company it can start to stagnate and doesn't have the pressure of needing to improve

Agreed. That sounds almost ideal.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:29 PM   #26
dillinja

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boranbkk View Post

As u know I'm just a casual MMA follower, but I can see there is to much focus on the UFC which is obviously going though a bit of a transition. I think with what's going on around the world at grass roots level and with all the organisations popping up I think the future's never looked better for MMA.

Change is inevitable in all things. Some change is good and some is bad. One thing I di know, the change that has happened in MMA is good, very good for the fighters and to me that's what the bottom line is.

If you call yourself a fan you'll love the sport and support the sport worts and all, ups and downs. If you wanna see elite fighters fight, pay them buy that PPV and enjoy it.
I support the sport of mma, in regards to UFC they have done alot of good for the sport but also have a fair few negative points.
I have followed since the start of UFC and Pride and will always watch the fights even if i don;t always agree on the way the organisations are run.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:32 PM   #27
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boranbkk View Post

At this current moment in time:

* MMA is more visible and easier to access than EVER before.

* MMA has finally overcome the "human ****fighting" label, and for the first time it is recognized as a legitimate sport, with its participants regarded as serious professional athletes.

* Top MMA stars have now broken through to the mainstream, getting huge endorsement deals with massive companies.

* The biggest sports network on the planet has made a half-billion-plus dollar, seven-year commitment to grow the sport into a mainstream attraction. Regular MMA events will be hyped during NFL games and broadcast live at primetime on the same channel as the big sports.

* Every major sports website now has a "UFC" or "MMA" section, instead of not covering MMA at all because it's completely irrelevant in the sporting world.

* MMA gyms are opening up all over the world in numbers the sport has never seen before.

* Thousands upon thousands of guys have begun training MMA in the last two, three, five years, who never would have set foot in an MMA gym pre-Zuffa.

* Major MMA events are being hosted in arenas all over the world. Guys in Sweden, Australia, Brazil, England, Germany, they can all feel like they're connected to the big show. This has never been the case before.

And it goes on. But ask the typical ESB MMA forum "expert", and what do you get?

Bitching and crying and moaning about the loss of the sport's "good old days" when nobody gave a **** about MMA, it was completely irrelevant in the sporting world and it was one step up from being totally extinct.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:36 PM   #28
dillinja

vCash:

Quote:

At this current moment in time:

* MMA is more visible and easier to access than EVER before.

* MMA has finally overcome the "human ****fighting" label, and for the first time it is recognized as a legitimate sport, with its participants regarded as serious professional athletes.

* Top MMA stars have now broken through to the mainstream, getting huge endorsement deals with massive companies.

* The biggest sports network on the planet has made a half-billion-plus dollar, seven-year commitment to grow the sport into a mainstream attraction. Regular MMA events will be hyped during NFL games and broadcast live at primetime on the same channel as the big sports.

* Every major sports website now has a "UFC" or "MMA" section, instead of not covering MMA at all because it's completely irrelevant in the sporting world.

* MMA gyms are opening up all over the world in numbers the sport has never seen before.

* Thousands upon thousands of guys have begun training MMA in the last two, three, five years, who never would have set foot in an MMA gym pre-Zuffa.

* Major MMA events are being hosted in arenas all over the world. Guys in Sweden, Australia, Brazil, England, Germany, they can all feel like they're connected to the big show. This has never been the case before.

And it goes on. But ask the typical ESB MMA forum "expert", and what do you get?

Bitching and crying and moaning about the loss of the sport's "good old days" when nobody gave a **** about MMA, it was completely irrelevant in the sporting world and it was one step up from being totally extinct.

Also ufc is harder to access now in the uk than it used to be, it used to be shown the day after the ppv for free and now you have to buy an additional channel to watch the fights. They also used to show alot of old ufc stuff on tv and that never happens now.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:43 PM   #29
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

Quote:
Also ufc is harder to access now in the uk than it used to be, it used to be shown the day after the ppv for free and now you have to buy an additional channel to watch the fights. They also used to show alot of old ufc stuff on tv and that never happens now.

It's the exact opposite here. Used to be absolutely nothing on TV, now on pay-TV (which everyone has) they show all the non-PPV US cards. Also two or three days a week they show "UFC Unleashed" which is just Joe Rogan introducing classic fights. Saw GSP-Penn and Cro Cop-Gonzaga on there the other day.

And the PPVs in NZ are about 1/3rd the price of PPVs in the US. I split the cost three ways with two of my mates. If we go to Mickey Dee's before the fights, a Big Mac combo costs about 50% more than a 1/3rd share of a PPV.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:46 PM   #30
boranbkk
"ไม่ได้โม้นะ"
ESB Addict

Quote:
I support the sport of mma, in regards to UFC they have done alot of good for the sport but also have a fair few negative points.
I have followed since the start of UFC and Pride and will always watch the fights even if i don;t always agree on the way the organisations are run.
I wasn't actually directing my comments at you I was just responding to Haggis, I just think as an MMA outsider that MMA fans are a little to obsessed with the UFC. Asian MMA is booming and it's a shame MMA fans and networks in the west don't take more notice. The UFC could become irrelevant over the next decade as the K-1 organisation has if it doesn't stop resting on its well earnt laurels.
boranbkk is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum