Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 09-16-2012, 12:56 PM   #2506
Garrus
Big Boss 1935-2014
ESB Addict

Location: A Hero Forever Loyal To The Flames Of War, Rests in Outer Heaven
vCash: 157
Default Re: Classic Forum -Talk About Anything (Mods please dont move)

Didn't know about the injuries.

Makes the performance even sweeter.
Garrus is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2012, 01:15 PM   #2507
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Yeah..

Quote:
Sergio Martinez received medical attention for a variety of injuries Saturday night shortly after his middleweight title victory over Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., according to his adviser Sampson Lewkowicz.

The reigning champion incurred a broken left hand, eight stitches over his left eye, two staples in his head, and torn ligaments in his right knee that will likely require surgery.

Martinez (50-2-2, 28 KOs) survived a late knockdown in the final round to win the fight after dominating the first 11 frames against Chavez (46-1-1, 32 KOs). A rematch is already being discussed with the venue being Cowboys Stadium in Texas.
No need for a rematch, though.
Hands of Iron is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2012, 01:25 PM   #2508
the cobra
Awesomeizationism!
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsanchezfan View Post
A guy like Hamsho eats him alive.
I wouldn't go that far. Martinez certainly isn't great, but he's a very good fighter. Good puncher, quick hands, awkward angles. he got caught late by a 180+ lbs man but managed to hang on. Chances are he'd slice Hamsho up.

It's time to bring Golovkin up front though. I'm very interested to see how Martinez goes about trying to deal with him (and vice versa, of course).
the cobra is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2012, 01:44 PM   #2509
Lester1583
Can you hear this?
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by the cobra View Post
It's time to bring Golovkin up front though
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands of Iron View Post
No need for a rematch, though.
Money.
Lester1583 is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2012, 01:52 PM   #2510
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester1583 View Post
Money.
It'll only be worse. Naturally Chavez is going to let his hands go more early and often and he'll get a lot more in return for it.. Sergio will coast and take rounds off knowing he can toy with Chavez as he pleases. There won't be a deliberate hyper-macho Scarface moment in the final frame either, if it gets there.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:25 AM   #2511
MrOliverKlozoff
The guy in shades
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Martinez would definitely get sparked by G-Man in a time machine.
Quote:
I didn't bother watching it, but any time a Chavez loses, the sun shines just a bit brighter.

And yes, Martinez is not remotely close to a great middleweight. A guy like Hamsho eats him alive.
Current guy<<<<<<<<<<<<everyone before him.

It's like the most boring chorus of the worst song ever sung. By some Mormon tabernacle choir afterhours band. Chief Taunty Tongue and Dances with Dogs and getting a good shot that wobbled him aren't going to take the shine off of Martinez for embarrassing everyone who tried to take what's his without a fight in the first place. That's what matters, in the here and now where he's regarded as one of the best active fighters alive. And before "it's because everyone sucks now" stop, drop, roll, take a deep breath, and pop a few geritol and nap it off. You'll be fine.
MrOliverKlozoff is offline  Top
Old 09-17-2012, 02:40 AM   #2512
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOliverKlozoff View Post

It's like the most boring chorus of the worst song ever sung. By some Mormon tabernacle choir afterhours band. Chief Taunty Tongue and Dances with Dogs and getting a good shot that wobbled him aren't going to take the shine off of Martinez for embarrassing everyone who tried to take what's his without a fight in the first place. That's what matters, in the here and now where he's regarded as one of the best active fighters alive. And before "it's because everyone sucks now" stop, drop, roll, take a deep breath, and pop a few geritol and nap it off. You'll be fine.
This is bullshit. All of it. Look at the Martinez Vs Graziano thread for proof, no one is picking Rocky.

My G-Man reference was because he was also a massive weight cutter, with a half decent jab who could bang.

Barker, Macklin, Drinzsuruk, all absolute dog shit. Especially the last one, an overrated, over protected WBO 'titlist'.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 09-17-2012, 03:22 AM   #2513
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

I consider Barker, Macklin, Razor to all be good fighters. My ratings are more like:

F-level fighters:

Paid losers, plain and simple.

"Bad."

D-level fighters:

Fighters with usually barely winning records at best (over F-level fighters mostly), function to build modest early experience for decent prospects. They all have day jobs, you only know them if you literally know them in person. Even if they wound up on ESPN when you were watching, you still don't know them.

"Poor."

C-level fighters:

The worst might make a few TV spots, have an okay record on paper, are dedicated also-rans, honest journeymen.

The best of which are usually fighters with some name of some kind, sometimes national champs or well-faded former titlists, occasionally still fringe contenders in some shitty abc ranking or recent abc challengers.

"Okay".

B-level fighters:

The lowest of which is just a little too formidable to call them average. Solid. Flawed but some things that stand out.
The highest of which can be just shy of great or borderline greats for their time.

"Good."
"Very good."
"Excellent, but shy of historical weight."

A-level fighters:

The lowest of which might be a flash in the pan of elite names. The highest of which is an ATG.

"Great"
"Special."
"Sugary"

Flea's, probably goes something like:

Sulaiman's vaginal yeast

The shit which is shat from utter dog shit

Utter dog shit

Andre Dirrell

meh

yawn

okay

overrated

good

Semantics, you know.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 09-17-2012, 03:30 AM   #2514
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Not bad squire, good work

OBVIOUSLY I DON'T ACTUALLY MEAN AS WORTHLESS AS A DOG TURD but I followed Macklin or Barker coming up the ranks and neither are genuinely World class.

Before anyone says anything, Sturm is a solid european level fighter and has been for a while. That's not a criticism either. Macklin did not beat him IMO but somehow, like Martin Murray is now seen to be 'World class' before he had a competitive fight with him.

For everyone that says ' old timers are given preferential treatment' they'll rate a current fighter pretty highly and not really criticise him at all and give him a free pass.

Everyone thought Jaime Garza was the next big thing at one point ya' know?

Last edited by Flea Man; 09-17-2012 at 03:40 AM.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 09-17-2012, 03:49 AM   #2515
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

What's your current Top 6 look like, Flea?
Old 09-17-2012, 03:53 AM   #2516
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

1. Floyd
2. JMM
3. Manny
4. Sergio
5. Wlad
6. Ward
7. Donaire

Hard after that IMO
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 09-17-2012, 04:00 AM   #2517
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

Quote:
1. Floyd
2. JMM
3. Manny
4. Sergio
5. Wlad
6. Ward
7. Donaire

Hard after that IMO

Yeah, that's why I didnt even bother asking for ten. I'm always kind of astonished at how OLD the guys at the top of the current food chain are. All of them about on their way out the door in the near future sans Ward and Nonito.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:25 PM   #2518
MrOliverKlozoff
The guy in shades
ESB Senior Member

"Everybody now is trash! Wah! But I don't really mean it if you call me out on being ridiculous."

Okay, Cochise. Whatever you say. I'm not here to get into it with anybody but I don't get the point of minimizing and insulting current guys when you don't really believe it. And I didn't say everybody. Yeah, Sergio leads the Graziano poll, but every time I see him mentioned in here, it's only talking about everything he's not and would he be anything any other time, blah. He gets very little credit and there's always some diehard classic-only guys on a rant about how Quarry pushes Wlad's sh*t in and Iron Pantaloon McTwinkycawk's draw with Freddie Steele gives him a better case as an ATG than Calzaghe has and Pacquiao wouldn't be heard of in the thirties and blah, blah, blah. It's boring.
MrOliverKlozoff is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2012, 12:29 AM   #2519
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Go somewhere else then.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2012, 12:48 AM   #2520
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

Ach, keep it friendly, boys. We're all hardcore, here.

Quote:
I didn't bother watching it, but any time a Chavez loses, the sun shines just a bit brighter.
Senior's one of the few guys I've read fans on here say they've met and he was a dick to them. Usually they say they're okay, even some of the nastier fighters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrus View Post
Didn't know about the injuries.

Makes the performance even sweeter.
I just read, didn't confirm, that Junior had a cheek fracture and broken orbital bone or some such. I'm watching the fight for the first time, right now. I see he was playing off the punches pretty early. I'm just in round four.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOliverKlozoff View Post

Hi-yo.

Quote:
Not bad squire, good work

OBVIOUSLY I DON'T ACTUALLY MEAN AS WORTHLESS AS A DOG TURD but I followed Macklin or Barker coming up the ranks and neither are genuinely World class.

Before anyone says anything, Sturm is a solid european level fighter and has been for a while. That's not a criticism either. Macklin did not beat him IMO but somehow, like Martin Murray is now seen to be 'World class' before he had a competitive fight with him.

For everyone that says ' old timers are given preferential treatment' they'll rate a current fighter pretty highly and not really criticise him at all and give him a free pass.

Everyone thought Jaime Garza was the next big thing at one point ya' know?
Yeah, I've paid close attention to Barker, myself, and find him hard to guage. I've had a bit of a soft spot for him. I thought he did better against Martinez, more consistently than any of his recent opponents. I've been pretty adamant that he did better than Macklin, despite the commentary on HBO swinging hard against Martinez in the Macklin fight and on his side from what I remember for the Barker fight.

He's had a lot of career setbacks though. He's not a lucky kid. I've wondered before about his stamina and chin, but it was at times when he was going through rocky lay-off periods, with injury trouble. He's one of those fighters that I feel could be a top ten middle at any given time, but there's no wow factor. He doesn't have one standout thing, but I feel as a total package, he's pretty solid, well-rounded. I'd just like to see him in with somebody like a Rubio, instead of jumping from a Spada to a Martinez. But, here he is, more trouble stopping him from a comeback fight. If I were into hoodoo thinking, I'd wonder if maybe my liking him didn't function like a black cat crossing his path.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum