Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 09-16-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
jj01709
The Truth
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75
Default Fight weekend reflections 15/9/12

Chavez-Martinez: entertaining fight would watch the rematch with great interest

Macklin-alcine: good result for macklin, sets it up nice to Lose his next title shot

Canelo v Lopez: went exactly as I anticipated though early stoppage, would like to see evenly matched now so will have words

Maidana v karrass: he's back, ideal if he wins the title from mallignaggi and fights hatton in may next year

Keep it clean commando
jj01709 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2012, 02:47 PM   #2
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

Default Re: Fight weekend reflections 15/9/12

Sergio Martinez was obviously the big performer of the weekend but Chavez Jr wasn't, as much as i was impressed with Sergio it was proven that Chavez will never be anywhere near the elite level in the sport.

Looking into the fight i was very impressed with Martinez, his jab is so solid and accurate its so difficult to pick it, let alone counter it, his work rate, punch placement, ring IQ was absolutely impeccable and aside from that last round (where he was still throwing mind u !!) it was somewhat of a master class against a huge man.

Chavez Jr didnt like what was coming back, the high hands were obviously a major indication that Martinez was getting through, his lack of defence and movement is alarming and if he does go to 168 i believe it will be the beginning of the end for the kid, he can apply pressure in a straight line with zero defence @60 (bearing in mind he's 185-190 on the night, but not at SMW), he simply cannot be a basic pressure / plodder up there, he needs to change something up in his diet and his nutrition and stay @160 !!!

Canelo looked pretty ruthless, Lopez is a capable guy and is very game (good opponent for Khan if he can get back to 140) he still doesnt look too difficult to find and im keenly interested to see if he can take as good as he can give against a true JrMW with similar ability

Looking deeper into this fight it was once again Canelo's ability to throw crisp, sharp, powerful combinations that took the fight away from the outgunned Lopez, i was particularly impressed with Canelo's lead screw shot come uppercut with the left hand, the fact he was throwing jab right uppercut, followed by the 2nd and 3rd phase of his attacks was an indication of how much of a mismatch this was, he will not get away with such against a Cotto or Lara, all that said anyone who wasnt impressed with Canelo's combinaion punching, technique and power need not be a boxing fan, despite the mismatch

Leo Santa Cruz looked like an animal, id like to see him fight one of the bigger guns now at BW, and will keenly look out for him in the future

A Solid night of boxing all in all
thewinfella is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2012, 02:49 PM   #3
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

Default Re: Fight weekend reflections 15/9/12

Forgot to mention Matt Macklin, who simply took care of business !!!!
thewinfella is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum