Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 09-24-2012, 12:36 PM   #46
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: White to UFC 152 critics, boo-birds: 'Don't ever buy another UFC pay-per-view aga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher73 View Post
Once again the "Vince McMahon" media-hype has earned him tons more free press and publicity.

UFC markets to the same crowd as the WWE. They WANT the drama and the hype to get ticket sales. Do you guys REALLY think that what Dana does isn't calculated and planned?

Look at all the drama and hype between fighters before most events. It is on purpose. It gets interest and buys. It's also why no other competition in MMA comes close to the draws that the UFC gets.
Except tickets are selling as PPV numbers have dwindled in what has been a disastrous year for the UFC. Likewise the assumption that the UFC/WWE fan base are the same is also spurious. If what has certainly been a poor year for Zuffa represents calculated planning -bearing in mind the numbers have been very poor this year off the back of routine cancelled fights and even cancelled shows- then most fans obviously aren't as clued up as yourself.
Likewise they're the only marquee Org left in MMA because of their aggressive business strategy which is now seeing the UFC have a very rough year. But you think they're still a draw?
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2012, 06:43 PM   #47
Caestus
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: White to UFC 152 critics, boo-birds: 'Don't ever buy another UFC pay-per-view aga

Well, Dana White said Vince McMahon was his model for business and his idol...
Caestus is offline  Top
Old 09-24-2012, 07:45 PM   #48
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne5ville14 View Post
EDIT: Less insulting reply...

Haggis, I think you should read back what Thom posted and think about what you just said...

Then apologies to him !
What is there to apologize for? I agree with him, that was a good fight and shouldn't have been booed.

Maybe you should apologize to me, for butting in and trying to stir shit where there is no conflict.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Old 09-24-2012, 09:11 PM   #49
Atlanta2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillinja View Post
I have said before i think they should have a weekly tv show on free tv with more minor fights and then 6 majpr ppv's per year with stacked cards and at least one title fight.
I disagree, I think they can have 12 PPVs a year, 1 a month. But they cannot have more than 24 cards a year if they go that route, currently they have scheduled/completed 30 for 2012 and that's to much to have a decent headliner for each one, plus a good undercard for the PPVs.
Atlanta2 is offline  Top
Old 09-24-2012, 09:13 PM   #50
dillinja

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta2 View Post
I disagree, I think they can have 12 PPVs a year, 1 a month. But they cannot have more than 24 cards a year if they go that route, currently they have scheduled/completed 30 for 2012 and that's to much to have a decent headliner for each one, plus a good undercard for the PPVs.
Yes but without the free to air tv card they can't build more mainstream support,they couldn't have a free weekly event and 12 full ppvs.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:34 PM   #51
Ne5ville14
Rationalist by default...
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post
What is there to apologize for? I agree with him, that was a good fight and shouldn't have been booed.

Maybe you should apologize to me, for butting in and trying to stir shit where there is no conflict.

Well....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
The UFC is in a lose-lose situation with the posters here.

Replying to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom Yeah, that's exactly what was going on last night. Jumping and prancing with no actual fighting. No significant strikes were thrown or landed whatsoever.

Wich was a reply for...

Quote:
Originally Posted by macp1 [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
we like hockey fights and bench clearing brawls, not so much the little guys jumping around like sprites and fairies. But I will say, at least here in Southern Ontario, UFC is so much bigger than boxing. An example, the bar i went to watch the ***y / Jr. fight had maybe 15 Mexicans, a few South Americans, and maybe 5 white guys, so maybe 25-30 people. Last night's UFC, at the same bar, was standing room only filled with around 300 people.

UFC can't expect, after years of cramming down the violent nature of the sport, to suddenly expect the fans that came because of the brutality, to suddenly appreciate a technical, scientific type match.

So maybe my english is at fault here...but you replied to Thom, I think your post was more adressed to Macp1.

But if you are agreeing with Thom...then my mistake.
Ne5ville14 is offline  Top
Old 09-24-2012, 11:16 PM   #52
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177

Quote:
Well....

[/i]

Replying to...

Wich was a reply for...

So maybe my english is at fault here...but you replied to Thom, I think your post was more adressed to Macp1.
Thom was being sarcastic when he complained that there was no action, which he showed by posting pics of a guy with a face full of bruises.

I agreed with him, and added a more general complaint. My complaint was that, in this situation where an uninformed crowd boos a good fight simply because the fighters are too small to really hurt each other, the UFC is in a lose-lose situation with many posters here.

The UFC is often criticized for supposedly encouraging a meathead "Just Bleed" type atmosphere around its events. Frequently you hear complaints about the uneducated UFC fans, as compared to the more respectful and knowledgeable Japanese fans.

But when the UFC President bluntly tells the public that it's a sport, not a Roman Colosseum spectacle, and fans should appreciate the skill and dedication on display even without knockouts and blood, that's wrong too.

Uninformed morons boo a good fight purely due to size of participants = UFC fails.

UFC President tells said morons to go and **** themselves = UFC fails.

Lose-lose.

What is your native language, by the way?

Quote:
But if you are agreeing with Thom...then my mistake.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Old 09-25-2012, 12:30 AM   #53
Ne5ville14
Rationalist by default...
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post
Thom was being sarcastic when he complained that there was no action, which he showed by posting pics of a guy with a face full of bruises.

I agreed with him, and added a more general complaint. My complaint was that, in this situation where an uninformed crowd boos a good fight simply because the fighters are too small to really hurt each other, the UFC is in a lose-lose situation with many posters here.

The UFC is often criticized for supposedly encouraging a meathead "Just Bleed" type atmosphere around its events. Frequently you hear complaints about the uneducated UFC fans, as compared to the more respectful and knowledgeable Japanese fans.

But when the UFC President bluntly tells the public that it's a sport, not a Roman Colosseum spectacle, and fans should appreciate the skill and dedication on display even without knockouts and blood, that's wrong too.

Uninformed morons boo a good fight purely due to size of participants = UFC fails.

UFC President tells said morons to go and **** themselves = UFC fails.

Lose-lose.
Ohhh...I thought you were saying that the person with the lose-lose situation was Thom.

My bad then.

It's a luck I had the time to edit the message before you had the time to read it.

It was one of those beauty I have some talent composing !

Quote:
What is your native language, by the way?

French but not from France !
Ne5ville14 is offline  Top
Old 09-25-2012, 12:58 AM   #54
marsupial
Monkey
ESB Full Member

Wow Dana's truly losing control.

They've put so much pressure on themselves. I bet they miss Strikeforce now.
marsupial is offline  Top
Old 09-25-2012, 09:11 AM   #55
fatcity
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2203

It is a self destruct model that the UFC has taken from the WWE.Purchase any organization that has the potential to be rivals,throw big bucks into the marketing,saturate the market on "free tv" and use this programming to plug their upcoming PPV.
It didn't work out for the WWE and it is not working out for the UFC.
It is too short term and the public catches on that this is pure manipulation and greed.
Yes,Dana does act like his hero Mcmahon (sic) and is going down the same troubled road.
fatcity is offline  Top
Old 09-25-2012, 09:55 AM   #56
Punisher73
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
Except tickets are selling as PPV numbers have dwindled in what has been a disastrous year for the UFC. Likewise the assumption that the UFC/WWE fan base are the same is also spurious. If what has certainly been a poor year for Zuffa represents calculated planning -bearing in mind the numbers have been very poor this year off the back of routine cancelled fights and even cancelled shows- then most fans obviously aren't as clued up as yourself.
Likewise they're the only marquee Org left in MMA because of their aggressive business strategy which is now seeing the UFC have a very rough year. But you think they're still a draw?
To the average person, yes the UFC is IT for MMA. Only those who really follow the sport are aware of other organizations, and there is the perception that you aren't an "A level fighter" unless you are in the UFC.

I agree that assuming the UFC/WWE fan base is the same thing is not good. I have watched MMA/NHB since the beginning in the early 90's. I can't stand TUF and how the hype the thug type persona (ala Chris Leben) and I think that it turns away alot of other people as well that only think MMA=Thugs due to shows like that.

White has made repeated comments about McMahon being his model. Trouble is that McMahon is running a scripted show and the fans are "in on the plot" so to speak when he insults them etc.

I still think that whatever White says is calculated and not the ranting of some out of control person. He is putting on a persona like it or not.
Punisher73 is offline  Top
Old 09-25-2012, 10:08 AM   #57
Caestus
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

His personality was totally different when he had hair, and talked less.
Caestus is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum