Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 09-26-2012, 06:07 PM   #16
SLAKKA
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Marvin Hagler vs Sugar Ray Robinson

[quote=burt bienstock;13871653]100% true...
As a youngster I was impressed by an old boxing writer who once said of Stanley Ketchel, " whoever saw Stanley Ketchel fight forever after could see no other fighter " !
Sounds like Hype Igoe or Tad Dorgan
SLAKKA is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2012, 09:42 PM   #17
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

The Robinson from 50-52 wins a decision against Hagler. The foot quickness and ability to punch with power off his movement. Im thinking of the way he fought Turpin in the rematch.

If its post retirement Robinson from 55-59 Id say Hagler wins a convincing decision.
ETM is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2012, 10:01 PM   #18
kmac
On permanent vacation
ESB Addict

vCash: 683

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
Of course P4P Robinson was greater than Hagler...Too much is made of the fact that Hagler had a "better" chin than Robinson. Hagler had but 67
bouts in his career and never kod....Hmmm, Robinson had 202 fights in his amazing career and aside from the tko "loss " to 175 pound Joey Maxim
due mostly to heat exhaustion, RObby was NEVER kod !!! Does anyone think that a past prime Hagler could have gone against the best MWs,
132 more bouts til Hagler reached the age of 45 without suffering a few kos on his record ? Hell no...One other thing...Hagler , nor any other MW
could have ABSORBED the fusilade of punches that Jake LaMotta took from Robinson and remained on his feet as LaMotta did, including Hagler...
If Robinson and Hagler fought each other as MWs,same age, it is Sugar Ray for me...And I am not sure a Hagler beats the motivated Jake LaMotta of the Cerdan fight in 1949...Easily Jake was as tough as Marvin was.
Rocky Graziano didn't call La Motta " hammerhead " for nothing...
i think the chins are equal. i wouldn't sell hagler short here with taking punishment. he was a bad SOB but your points here are understood. hagler and lamotta would be a classic no matter who you'd pick.
kmac is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2012, 03:21 AM   #19
laxpdx
Belt holder
ESB Addict

For me, this is an ATG MW vs. the ultimate MW. Robinson certainly was as tough as his rep, if not moreso. However, peak for peak, I think Hagler takes it. Most likely by points, but I wouldn't rule out a possible stoppage either. This is not a knock on Robinson at all; it's just that peak Hagler had everything. Save for that Duran farce (why was Hagler so timid?), MH always got his man out.

Last edited by laxpdx; 09-27-2012 at 03:38 AM.
laxpdx is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2012, 06:16 AM   #20
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

I've always thought this is a fascinating fight. Early doors I think Hagler is going to have sucess making SRR miss that jab then stepping in with some combinations. However I see Robinson starting to feint to hold Hagler at bay, then leading with power punches to catch Hagler coming in, allowing SRR to take a clear decision.
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2012, 06:26 AM   #21
ripcity
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
vCash: 887

In thee fanasty match ups. I think you have to asume that each boxer will go into the fight and excute a perfect game plan. The better boxer will win every time. It's hard almost imposible to pick against Robinson. However if this was a real fight given Robinson's track record of not fallowing that perfect game plan. I'd still pick him, but with reservations.
ripcity is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2012, 06:47 AM   #22
MadcapMaxie
Contender
ESB Senior Member

The best version of SRR takes it in a very tough bout, superior movement and speed gets him the dec. at the end of the day. I think Hagler might actually outjab SRR, but the sugar man's fast and ferocious combo's will impress and leave a bigger imprint on the judges. No KO's in this fight anyone who thinks so is foolhardy.
MadcapMaxie is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2012, 11:45 AM   #23
OvidsExile
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Looks a lot like the Leonard fight. Ray stays busier and steals a few rounds then gets the decision.
OvidsExile is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #24
SLAKKA
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Thats a great one sentence synopsis.
Prime Robbie, far greater in form than the film we have of him to judge
betters SRLs effort only with allot more power behind his shots.
SLAKKA is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2012, 12:05 PM   #25
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Robinson's greater speed sees him through by about 9 - 6 in rounds. Three stand out as the greatest middles ever. These two plus Carlos Monzon.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2012, 12:22 PM   #26
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
Robinson's greater speed sees him through by about 9 - 6 in rounds. Three stand out as the greatest middles ever. These two plus Carlos Monzon.
You forgot some chap by the name of Harry Greb, who was more than
great. Greb was surreal ! 300 fights against the greatest MWS, LHS and
heavyweights of his great era, and he licked them all....UNO #1...
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2012, 12:43 PM   #27
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.

The best MW version of Robinson beats any version of Hagler IMO, great fight tho, Ray is faster, hits harder with both hands & has better movement... if Ray boxes, he takes a decision, if he brawls, its anybodies fight & it`ll likely be a controversial decision either way.

If anyone is getting knocked out its Hagler, Robinson has the KO power & is super durable, Marvin is an accumulative puncher, its not rocket science... a KO is unlikely though.

Robinson W15 UD Hagler
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Old 04-16-2013, 03:52 PM   #28
brownsville

I think Hagler would probably beat any middleweight, alive or dead, if they chose to bang with him. That being said, Sugar Ray would win by decision if he used his technical skills.
brownsville is offline  Top
Old 04-16-2013, 04:08 PM   #29
dyna
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1551

If SRR boxes, he wins.
If he decided he want to stay in Hagler his face and just brawl it out, he loses.

Hagler was at his best when he could just be the counter puncher, other roles he was a lot worse at, not bad, but not great either.
dyna is offline  Top
Old 04-16-2013, 04:13 PM   #30
dyna
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1551

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Butcher View Post
The best MW version of Robinson beats any version of Hagler IMO, great fight tho, Ray is faster, hits harder with both hands & has better movement... if Ray boxes, he takes a decision, if he brawls, its anybodies fight & it`ll likely be a controversial decision either way.

If anyone is getting knocked out its Hagler, Robinson has the KO power & is super durable, Marvin is an accumulative puncher, its not rocket science... a KO is unlikely though.

Robinson W15 UD Hagler
As if Hagler isn't a top 10 chin entree like Robinson either...

Also accumulative punching is just as effective at stopping guys as having "true" KO power.
Hagler might not have had the "burst output" Robinson had (The single punch power) but he had a "sustained output"

They're both KO artists, one did the KO jobs more often with his power, the other with sheer output.
There's a reason Hagler his KO ratio is the highest of all mw champions, accumulation works.

I think SRR is more likely to be stopped than Hagler. (More likely=/= likely)
dyna is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum