Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 09-27-2012, 05:25 PM   #16
Nonito Smoak
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 162
Default Re: Is this the weakest the welterweight division has ever been ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by purephase View Post
I disagree about this. I think it's the most fragmented but I'd be hard-pressed to call any division in which someone like Vanes Martirosyan appears on most people's top 10 lists the best in boxing.
Uhhhhhh???? So stupid to name one guy in the top 10 and discredit the division while not realizing that no division has a top 10 deep enough that wouldn't include (in a pound for pound sense) Vanes.

As opposed to MW having guys like JCC Jr. and Sturm STILL in the top 5?

Or 122 which, aside from the top 3, has guys like Shimoda, Ramos, Ndlovu filling the top of the division?

Flyweight may be the best in the sport too, but by your logic, how could it be when a guy like 10 loss Sonny Boy Jaro warrants a top 5 ranking?

I think 112, 126, and 154 are the best divisions in boxing right now.
Nonito Smoak is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2012, 05:28 PM   #17
Badbot
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1440

147 was real good some time ago but now itīs 154.
Remember how on fire the 140 division was ? Now itīs cooling down.
It happens to every division.
Badbot is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2012, 05:32 PM   #18
lester proctor
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
It was far worse 1-2 years ago. At least now some of the guys from 140 are moving up and looking okay. In 2011, some people still had Mosley as a top 3 welterweight

Though I did occasionally hear the argument from Duck Dodgers and some of the other awful posters from the past that it simply must be the best division in boxing because Manny and Floyd fight there
Yes, it's much better now that these LWWs are moving up. It was total garbage like 2 years ago, when Senchenko and Zaveck were holding 2 belts
lester proctor is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2012, 05:32 PM   #19
KidPerat
King Bee
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonito Smoak View Post
Who cares about the glory of the divisions' name.

140 is good and 154 is perhaps the best.

In the end, you've still got Mayeather, Pacquiao, Marquez, Bradley plus Zaveck, Brooks, Paulie, Ortiz... it could def be a whole lot worse. Those are 4 top 10 P4P guys in the welterweight division, so I disagree that it's weak right now.
Well said. Guerrero is there too, but I'm not sold on him yet. He'll still be fun to watch.
KidPerat is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2012, 05:36 PM   #20
purephase
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonito Smoak View Post
Uhhhhhh???? So stupid to name one guy in the top 10 and discredit the division while not realizing that no division has a top 10 deep enough that wouldn't include (in a pound for pound sense) Vanes.

As opposed to MW having guys like JCC Jr. and Sturm STILL in the top 5?

Or 122 which, aside from the top 3, has guys like Shimoda, Ramos, Ndlovu filling the top of the division?

Flyweight may be the best in the sport too, but by your logic, how could it be when a guy like 10 loss Sonny Boy Jaro warrants a top 5 ranking?

I think 112, 126, and 154 are the best divisions in boxing right now.
It's not just Vanes, though I think he's the worst. No one at 154 has an especially solid resume in the division at the moment.

Cotto beat hobbled Foreman and shot Mayorga and Margarito.

Kirkland's most notable accomplishment, besides getting quickly stopped by Ishida, is blowing up an inactive Angulo who was previously outboxed by Cintron.

Molina's fought the best opposition but got stuck with an unjust draw with Lara and questionable DQ vs. Kirkland.

Lara getting robbed vs Williams was sufficient for many to make him top 5 but he really hasn't done anything notable aside from that.

Alvarez's only top opponent at the weight has been Rhodes, who despite being legitimately well-regarded going into the fight, did not put in performance that suggested he was cut out for world level. Since then, he has been rightly criticized for his level of opposition.

Trout has a nice win over Rodriguez in a stinker, but not much depth on his resume aside from that.

Bundrage has been stuck in Don King hell for the past however many years fighting Spinks and Powell on an endless loop.

Like I said, it might be the most fragmented and the most evenly matched division in the sport, but I don't think it stands out as being especially good at the moment.
purephase is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2012, 06:07 PM   #21
Badbot
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1440

Quote:
It's not just Vanes, though I think he's the worst. No one at 154 has an especially solid resume in the division at the moment.
Nah. Think abut Kirkland who is all brawn and now brains or Angulo who manages to gas out in one round due to his own stupidity. You also have K9 who has no skills to speak of.
Cotto beat hobbled Foreman and shot Mayorga and Margarito.
Mayorga was hardly shot. He pulled the trigger and he did it well. But yes, his (Cotto) wins at 154 and no great feat. It has been more of a rebuilding progress and it showed in the Maywaether fight. He looks more skilled and determined then he was a few years ago.
Kirkland's most notable accomplishment, besides getting quickly stopped by Ishida, is blowing up an inactive Angulo who was previously outboxed by Cintron.

Molina's fought the best opposition but got stuck with an unjust draw with Lara and questionable DQ vs. Kirkland.

Lara getting robbed vs Williams was sufficient for many to make him top 5 but he really hasn't done anything notable aside from that.

Alvarez's only top opponent at the weight has been Rhodes, who despite being legitimately well-regarded going into the fight, did not put in performance that suggested he was cut out for world level. Since then, he has been rightly criticized for his level of opposition.

Trout has a nice win over Rodriguez in a stinker, but not much depth on his resume aside from that.

Bundrage has been stuck in Don King hell for the past however many years fighting Spinks and Powell on an endless loop.

Like I said, it might be the most fragmented and the most evenly matched division in the sport, but I don't think it stands out as being especially good at the moment.
But i do agree with the rest. It is filled with good fighters but a lot ifīs. They all should be facing each other.
Badbot is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2012, 06:10 PM   #22
purephase
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbot View Post
But i do agree with the rest. It is filled with good fighters but a lot ifīs. They all should be facing each other.
I still think Vanes is the worst. He should have lost to shot Ouma and went life and death with Saul Roman. Plus, at least Angulo and Kirkland have been willing to get in the ring with tough opponents. Vanes is only now doing so despite spending the last 3 years calling guys out and turning down fights.
purephase is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum