Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 09-27-2012, 04:59 AM   #46
Primate
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: How to you endure a strangulation choke hold ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tiger View Post
Heres another question,

Lets say - you get into a fight - and this is a personal something that happened to me in my teens - I was drunk and there was a bit of trouble and I walked away from the situation but was brought down from behind and pinned down and choked out.

Now this incident - this guy had me down - but I dont think this guy was any skilled combat fighter - he just got me down.

Now - he got the better of me in this incident - before it got broken up.

But up on my feet - I done boxing trainign for years - not got any grappling skills or anyhting - but what you reckon the chances of me getting him up on my feet were ?

I always felt I had a good chance of beating him up on my feet. but he probaly felt he was superior to me because of how it went.

What I am saying is - in a fight - can a inferior combat fighter beat a superior one - just from a choke hold ?
And just like that, this thread both jumped the shark and went full retard.
Primate is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2012, 12:59 PM   #47
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primate View Post
And just like that, this thread both jumped the shark and went full retard.
...yup
Speechless is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2012, 05:11 PM   #48
codeman99998
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Heres another question,

Lets say - you get into a fight - and this is a personal something that happened to me in my teens - I was drunk and there was a bit of trouble and I walked away from the situation but was brought down from behind and pinned down and choked out.

Now this incident - this guy had me down - but I dont think this guy was any skilled combat fighter - he just got me down.

Now - he got the better of me in this incident - before it got broken up.

But up on my feet - I done boxing trainign for years - not got any grappling skills or anyhting - but what you reckon the chances of me getting him up on my feet were ?

I always felt I had a good chance of beating him up on my feet. but he probaly felt he was superior to me because of how it went.

What I am saying is - in a fight - can a inferior combat fighter beat a superior one - just from a choke hold ?
He could have landed a haymaker that knocked you out too. Or kicked you in the balls while you weren't looking. Or boxed both of your ears to burst your ear drums.

Fighting encompasses many different things. If you had known how to defend the choke than perhaps he wouldn't have choked you out. Training or not, if he can take you down to the ground or clinch with you suddenly your boxing training is worth very very little. No reason to have an ego about who is superior and who is inferior. Better to focus on improving yourself than trying to justify someone "beating" you.
codeman99998 is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2012, 06:05 PM   #49
White Tiger
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman99998 View Post
He could have landed a haymaker that knocked you out too. Or kicked you in the balls while you weren't looking. Or boxed both of your ears to burst your ear drums.

Fighting encompasses many different things. If you had known how to defend the choke than perhaps he wouldn't have choked you out. Training or not, if he can take you down to the ground or clinch with you suddenly your boxing training is worth very very little. No reason to have an ego about who is superior and who is inferior. Better to focus on improving yourself than trying to justify someone "beating" you.

Fair enough point.

No excuses - once he had me down - I didnt really know how to defend his choke hold.

I dont have ground skills - this was many years ago and took me a bit by surprise how devestating a choke hold can be.

Up on my feet - who knows who was superior - but he grabbed a knife to defend himself once I got back on my feet - so he obviously werent that confident.
White Tiger is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2012, 06:53 PM   #50
James23
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Floyd View Post
I would fear for my life far more striking with Overeem than I would rolling with Werdum.
This, this, this, this, this.

I would actually feel remarkably safe rolling with Werdum because he is an expert's expert and would probably toy with me but he would know to let go when I tap and if I don't tap to a choke he knows to let go. I will leave that mat/cage/ring unharmed assuming he doesn't hit me, which there would be absolutely no need for.

With Overeem, if he throws even one full force kick at my leg I'm going to the hospital and I'm not getting there walking.
James23 is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2012, 06:55 PM   #51
James23
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1218

Quote:
If I can choke you unconscious thus rendering your years of boxing training meaningless (in our encounters at the very least) then it wouldn't be a stretch to say that the person applying the choke is not the inferior combat fighter.
James23 is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2012, 07:02 PM   #52
White Tiger
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by James23 View Post
If I can choke you unconscious thus rendering your years of boxing training meaningless (in our encounters at the very least) then it wouldn't be a stretch to say that the person applying the choke is not the inferior combat fighter.
fair point.

but I heard it said - that strangling - is a low skilled level.

so a guy might be able to choke you out - but as a fighter might be useless.

but yes I have to admit - a choke hold can render years of fitness and training useless if they can get you in a postion that I was in before - I was ****ed - could not get out of it - but I was drunk on my back on the floor also which didnt help.
White Tiger is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2012, 08:06 PM   #53
ufoalf
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1550

Quote:
but I heard it said - that strangling - is a low skilled level.
It's as low as it needs to be to choke someone out. Against someone experienced defending a choke you'd need much more skill and finesse.

Much like knocking someone random out on the street with a right hand is not the same as setting someone up in sparring to land a good straight.

So, no, it's not a low skill level move.
ufoalf is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2012, 06:58 PM   #54
The Akbar One
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
James Toney never been stopped in about 80 pro boxing fights.

Steps in the octagan with Randy Couture and via traingle choke hold strangulation gets forced into submission in the 1st round.

Toney got good skills as a boxer - and he is very tough and durable.

But even Toney was forced to submit when randy clamped down on him.

How does a skilled combat fighter - avoid having a choke taking him out ?

And if that had been a street fight with no ref to step in and Randy kept the choke hold on Toney like that - would he have killed him from strangulation ?
Go to the Shaolin Temple and train iron body. The neck is toughened by repeatedly putting a rope around the neck and hanging from it for a length of time .
The Akbar One is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum