Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 03-11-2008, 07:37 AM   #31
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Is Haye a P4P entrant?

Pre Calzaghe Lacy would have bitch slapped Kessler all the way back to Denmark.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2008, 08:56 AM   #32
Smith
Monzon-like
ESB Addict

vCash: 484

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatboxer

I love where you have put Hopkins

Im an ardent Hopkins hater but I have an agenda in placing him in the top 5.

Simply Calzaghe deserves credit for when he whoops his old ass...something that should have happened in 2002 anyway.

Think your underrating Hatton a bit here as well...putting Campbell over Hatton on the basis of one close win against Diaz seems a little off...Hatton has afterall only lost to Mayweather.

Dawson should not be over the LHW champ anyway. He has despite looking great only ever beaten ****ing Adamek.
To be honest man, I can see where you are coming from but my main aspect in picking is based purely on current skill within the division they are set.

I may be being harsh on Hatton, but for me, He has not been impreeive since Tszyu and to an extent Castillo. I never had him in my ten prior to Floyd, based on P4P talent, so that nudged him down two spots. To be honest I couldn't not have Campbell any lower as well though, I had Diaz at around 8/9 before, so It was soem acheievemtn and one that should be marked with a placing inside the top 20.

**** b-hop
Smith is offline  Top
Old 03-11-2008, 09:02 AM   #33
168 lbs
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2744

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff thomas
Aren't you exaggerating a bit there?
168 lbs is offline  Top
Old 03-11-2008, 10:14 AM   #34
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

No way would Lacy had beat thje beast Kessler. Kessler UD!
robpalmer135 is offline  Top
Old 03-11-2008, 12:08 PM   #35
brown_bomber
BROWN BOMBER
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1597

hmmmmmm lets see what he does to hasim rahman if he is fighting him that is
brown_bomber is offline  Top
Old 03-11-2008, 01:02 PM   #36
Beatboxer
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith
To be honest man, I can see where you are coming from but my main aspect in picking is based purely on current skill within the division they are set.

I may be being harsh on Hatton, but for me, He has not been impreeive since Tszyu and to an extent Castillo. I never had him in my ten prior to Floyd, based on P4P talent, so that nudged him down two spots. To be honest I couldn't not have Campbell any lower as well though, I had Diaz at around 8/9 before, so It was soem acheievemtn and one that should be marked with a placing inside the top 20.

**** b-hop
Yea man these things are all subjective anyway.

I do still regard competition as the main gauge and criteria. Performance secondary. I mean on the basis of how impressive someone performs in victory you would have to say Tyson is the best in this aspect. In fact if this was your only criteria without taking into consideration competition he probably looks the best ever. However he never beat anything like the competition needed to justify him being the number 1 at heavyweight. When he did step up, despite the circumstances we cannot deny that he lost to the two best fighters he ever faced in Lewis and Holyfield...and also a super human Douglas.

Dawson has thus far looked awesome. But his marquee win remains Adamek. I just cannot rank him above Hopkins on that basis who like it or not put on a clinic against Milk Dud. I hate Hopkins and have high hopes for Dawson but I just can't do it...

Still, subjective thing. And on the basis that you ranked Diaz so highly(I think we all thought he was pretty much going to cream that division from here on in) Campbell probably does deserve a top 20 placing. But above Hatton even factoring in his unimpressiveness since Tsyzu is still pretty controversial....but still by your criteria man I can see why you do it.
Beatboxer is offline  Top
Old 03-11-2008, 01:04 PM   #37
Beatboxer
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Lacy would have posed Kessler stylistic problems....hes went from overrated to grossly underrated since his defeat to Calzaghe. Sure hes looked bad since and got an absolute beat down but it was after all delivered by the greatest SMW of all time(Jones wasn't there long enough).

That being said I would still pick Kessler over todays Hopkins in a heartbeat. Styles.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:08 PM   #38
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Pre Calzaghe Lacy would have nailed Kessler... No doubt about it anyone who thinks otherwise has not seen enough of Lacy to make an accurate assessment. Post Calzaghe Lacy is a wreck of a man who severely needs a confidence boosting win.. Personally I think he's finished but the performances Lacy was putting in against the likes of Robin Reid and Omar Sheika were simply class!
Old 03-11-2008, 01:11 PM   #39
Beatboxer
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Pre Calzaghe Lacy would have nailed Kessler... No doubt about it anyone who thinks otherwise has not seen enough of Lacy to make an accurate assessment. Post Calzaghe Lacy is a wreck of a man who severely needs a confidence boosting win.. Personally I think he's finished but the performances Lacy was putting in against the likes of Robin Reid and Omar Sheika were simply class!
Not sure about Sheika...that was quite competitive in places if I recall and Sheika had seen better days.

The Reid win terrified me I won't deny it. Reid had never even been knocked down prior to that one and what Lacy did to him was brutally destroy him. I still picked Joe by decision but it sent shivers down my spine that performance.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:16 PM   #40
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Not sure about Sheika...that was quite competitive in places if I recall and Sheika had seen better days.

The Reid win terrified me I won't deny it. Reid had never even been knocked down prior to that one and what Lacy did to him was brutally destroy him. I still picked Joe by decision but it sent shivers down my spine that performance.
True it was a tough fight with Sheika but the quality of some of his work was awesome. Lacy was every bit as good as Gerald McClellon I feel.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:27 PM   #41
Beatboxer
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
True it was a tough fight with Sheika but the quality of some of his work was awesome. Lacy was every bit as good as Gerald McClellon I feel.
What I will say is how easily people forget.

The talk at the time was once Lacy dealt with Calzaghe and thus ruled the SMW division that he should step up and take on Tarver or else Taylor. Notice there wouldn't be any accusations about ducking Kessler in regards to Lacy...not like Calzaghe endured when he stated he wanted to face the same opponents.

People really rated the guy...a select few noted that the Tyson comparisions weren't totally justified but most thought that he was the next rising star in boxing on the basis of his performances before he met Joe.

The revisionists like to state that there were signs there all along that Calzaghe had his number and that he was always average and overrated. Bull. On the basis of his performances against Vanderpool, Reid etc etc people were raving about the guy yet after Calzaghe beats him they dismiss both these wins on the grounds that the opponents weren't that good and that the performances in themselves gave hints of weakness?

Boxing fans really piss me off some times.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:31 PM   #42
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
What I will say is how easily people forget.

The talk at the time was once Lacy dealt with Calzaghe and thus ruled the SMW division that he should step up and take on Tarver or else Taylor. Notice there wouldn't be any accusations about ducking Kessler in regards to Lacy...not like Calzaghe endured when he stated he wanted to face the same opponents.

People really rated the guy...a select few noted that the Tyson comparisions weren't totally justified but most thought that he was the next rising star in boxing on the basis of his performances before he met Joe.

The revisionists like to state that there were signs there all along that Calzaghe had his number and that he was always average and overrated. Bull. On the basis of his performances against Vanderpool, Reid etc etc people were raving about the guy yet after Calzaghe beats him they dismiss both these wins on the grounds that the opponents weren't that good and that the performances in themselves gave hints of weakness?

Boxing fans really piss me off some times.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:42 PM   #43
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Can someone tell me a way I could find a Calzaghe vs Lacy prediction thread from years back, post a link in here.
robpalmer135 is offline  Top
Old 03-11-2008, 01:45 PM   #44
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpalmer135
Can someone tell me a way I could find a Calzaghe vs Lacy prediction thread from years back, post a link in here.
deleted i think!
Old 03-11-2008, 02:03 PM   #45
Beatboxer
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpalmer135
The vast majority of punters on the main forum were picking Lacy.

I even remember that Kesslerite Deram doing it. Then he pretended months later that he always predicted that Calzaghe would win.

The only sort of known poster that I remember picking Calzaghe was Max Molyneux.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum