Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 09-27-2012, 11:02 PM   #16
slugger3000
You Mad Bro?
East Side VIP

vCash: 9653
Default Re: Does anybody still believe Kung Fu is effective in a real fight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco View Post
I don't think it would fare too well against a good mma fighter or boxer, but against some drunken asshole who has never trained in anything, it should do the trick.

slugger3000 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2012, 11:04 PM   #17
tri-pod
Balls
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 123

The thing is in practices like Kung Fu/Karate ect. they practice moves that would be considered illegal based on dangerous grounds that you practice NOT to do when you train for MMA and Boxing.

That being said, it all comes down to who is fighting. A master in one will beat a noob in the other.

These threads suck. Why not go to the lounge and start a thread on religion? We're dying for one over there.
tri-pod is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2012, 04:32 AM   #18
Spunik
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

i believe i can fly....
Spunik is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2012, 07:12 AM   #19
Matt Ldn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1885

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIRA View Post
The OP should get new friends - hard to soar like an eagle when your surrounded by turkeys.
Matt Ldn is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2012, 09:45 AM   #20
Caestus
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Well, contact sport Sanda is a blend of the most efective techniques of diverse styles of Kung Fu and western boxing.Some Kung fu techniques like throws, kicks etc. works very well, but in order to punch and defend punches, you need western boxing.Within that, you will not beat any decent opponent.
Caestus is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2012, 11:50 AM   #21
boranbkk
"ไม่ได้โม้นะ"
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dranon View Post
I really thought he was joking... He wasn't. Just to clarify Jon Jones was the guy they were talking about getting beat uP by a Kung Fu Master. It was like arguing with kids over the existence of Santa Claus. My argument was based in reality while theirs was...... Well it wasn't.
Fair enough, at least once a month we get that deluded Kung Fu nonsense in here to & they tend to be the same guys that think Yoda comes from a small village in Northen China & taught Bruce Lee everything he knew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caestus View Post
Well, contact sport Sanda is a blend of the most efective techniques of diverse styles of Kung Fu and western boxing.Some Kung fu techniques like throws, kicks etc. works very well, but in order to punch and defend punches, you need western boxing.Within that, you will not beat any decent opponent.
Not true at all, Muay Thai is Kryptonite to western boxing & far more effective at ensuring a boxer is ineffective. Knee counters to punches as well as brutal low kicks to the heavily weighted lead leg are the two obvious examples.
boranbkk is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2012, 12:16 PM   #22
evalistinho
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 5461

I have always felt although more brutal and effective than western boxing, boxing teaches better footwork, judgement of distance, and angles than Muay Thai. I could be wrong though
evalistinho is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2012, 02:22 PM   #23
boranbkk
"ไม่ได้โม้นะ"
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by evalistinho View Post
I have always felt although more brutal and effective than western boxing, boxing teaches better footwork, judgement of distance, and angles than Muay Thai. I could be wrong though
It's a strange thing to do to compare boxing and MT like that, both equally effective disciplines born of the same womb, but I'll play along.

Sure, your right evalistinho "boxing teaches better footwork, judgement of distance, and angles" if your talking about fighting purely with fists, only two weapons. However,Muay Thai "boxing teaches better footwork, judgement of distance, and angles" if your talking about stand up fighting with eight weapons.

They are both equally valid and effective sports, however one is more restrictive than the other. I hate mythical match ups, I really do, but I'm gonna use one to highlight a point.

Floyd Jr and Buakaw or the guy in my avatar Aikpracha basically fight at the same weight. If Floyd fights either of those guys restricted to just fists sure Floyd's shoulder roll wins the day, but.....if things are unrestricted FTRs whose "footwork, judgement of distance, and angles
" are gonna win the day?!

You know how Floyd likes to stand heavily angled away from his opponent in a wide stance with say around 50% of his weight on his lead leg, well remember what happened when Buakaw met Takayuki for the first time in K-1 Max 2004.........

Last edited by boranbkk; 09-28-2012 at 03:33 PM.
boranbkk is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2012, 02:48 PM   #24
Caestus
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Not true at all, Muay Thai is Kryptonite to western boxing & far more effective at ensuring a boxer is ineffective. Knee counters to punches as well as brutal low kicks to the heavily weighted lead leg are the two obvious examples.
Competitive sport Muay Thai is actually mixed with western boxing, and pure muay boran disapeared from the rings since the introduction of boxing type training and techniques. guess why...

Same with karatekas in K-1, you dont see tsukis, uraken punches or wing chun guys.
Caestus is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2012, 03:09 PM   #25
evalistinho
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 5461

Quote:
Originally Posted by boranbkk View Post
It's a strange thing to do to compare boxing and MT like that, both equally effective disciplines born of the same womb, but I'll play along.

Sure, your right evalistinho "boxing teaches better footwork, judgement of distance, and angles" if your talking about fighting purely with fists, only two weapons. However,Muay Thai "boxing teaches better footwork, judgement of distance, and angles" if your talking about stand up fighting with eight weapons.

They are both equally valid and effective sports, however one is more restrictive than the other. I hate mythical match ups, I really do, but I'm gonna use one to highlight a point.

Floyd Jr and Buakaw or the guy in my avatar Aikpracha basically fight at the same weight. If Floyd fights either of those guys restricted to just fights sure Floyd's shoulder roll wins the day, but.....if things are unrestricted FTRs whose "footwork, judgement of distance, and angles
" are gonna win the day?!

You know how Floyd likes to stand heavily angled away from his opponent in a wide stance with say around 50% of his weight on his lead leg, well remember what happened when Buakaw met Takayuki for the first time in K-1 Max 2004.........
Good stuff boran you make great points
evalistinho is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2012, 03:27 PM   #26
outtieDrake
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

kung fu practice more than just bare handed, they are well versed in weapons and disarming chit. so for everyday practical life you know.

plus you telling me a spinning tiger claw to your face aint gonna **** with you?
outtieDrake is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2012, 07:26 PM   #27
Big Red
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1036

I know a guy who did Kung Fu and he was showing me how to punch using my wrists instead of my fists. Its a preaty deadly way to punch someone.
Big Red is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2012, 08:09 PM   #28
boranbkk
"ไม่ได้โม้นะ"
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caestus View Post
Competitive sport Muay Thai is actually mixed with western boxing, and pure muay boran disapeared from the rings since the introduction of boxing type training and techniques. guess why...

Same with karatekas in K-1, you dont see tsukis, uraken punches or wing chun guys.
Mybe it's rude to assume, but let me guess Caestus, you don’t follow too much “Thai” Muay Thai right? You seem to be confusing western trained “Muay Thai” fighters who cross over into K-1 styled Kickboxing with genuine Thai nationality MT boxers and western MT boxers trained in Thailand.

How exactly is “competitive sport Muay Thai mixed with western boxing”?

True, there are great similatites between to two sports and as I often say they are children of the same mother, but to undermine Muay Thais independant success and effectiveness by saying "it's mixed with western boxing" is as wrong as it is unfair. The stance is different, the weight distribution of the feet is different, the hand position and guard is different, the footwork is different, evasive movement is different, the tit for tat striking mentality and lack of drilled combos is different, the scoring system is different etc. etc etc. etc.…….oh I just realised you meant they fight in a square ring and share a few punches, of course how silly of me not to realise what you meant. Just pulling you leg with the last bit, but you see where I'm coming from right?

Don’t confuse solely western trained MT fighters & kickboxers who wear Muay Thai shorts with pure MT fighters, there's a big difference.

Muay Boran, Muay Boran, Muay Boran……….No one in the west had ever heard or used this term until Jah Panom started jumping all over our screens and it’s rarely talked about in Thai fight circles either. It’s taken on a life of its own in the west where we love to pigeon hole and clarify as well as market new and exotic ideas to gullible people. Muay Boran is just a loose umbrella term that covers all the different traditional regional variants of Muay Thai, which differed greatly and in terms of techniques and effectiveness.

Muay Thai practitioners & fans in Thailand have a different view on your “pure muay boran disapeared from the rings since the introduction of boxing type training and techniques”. Muay Boran as a varied regional tradition may have “disappeared” into the shadows yes, but Muay Boran techniques never went anywhere! When you visit a gym or watch a fight in Thailand you’re watching Muay Boran techniques. You’re watching what was universal to all the different variants of Muay Boran, the basic most effective offensive and defensive techniques in each one, Muay Boran never “disappeared” it just got standardized.

Anyway, back to the original point, I responded to your comment “but in order to punch and defend punches, you need western boxing.” Which I still say is nonsense in a full striking context outside of the sport of boxing. I can’t speak for the other striking disciplines, but in terms of Muay Thai no self-respecting Muay Thai trainer or gym in the world is gonna tell you to defend punches in the manner of a western boxer and I doubt they would in Sanda either, you’d be annihilated.

If you are a Sanda or MT fighter with many more than just two weapons available why defend against hands like a boxer and handicap yourself. The lead knee counter is kryptonite to a boxer, it's quick, more powerful than a punch and the boxer doesn’t see it coming or know how to defend against it. Combine this with everytime you try to jump out of punching range you are smashed with a lowkick to your lead leg where fighters who rely on boxing tend to put at least 50% of body weight it becomes pretty tough for a heavily trained boxer/kickboxer, many Japanese and European Kickboxers lost many a fight to a Thai due to this, why do you think in the late 80s and 90s the mythology became so huge about the Thai low kick, well it’s cos the westerners relied too much on their “superior boxing skills” so the Thais just went to town on their front legs. Throw in the mix everytime a fighter trained in boxing instinctively dips low in a defensive duck he falls onto a knee or when he comes close he gets pulled into a clinch, pummelled with knees then released and hit with a quick elbow on the break life becomes even harder if you want to employ boxing techniques. This aside from pummelling’s at distance from powerful round kicks that the boxer will incorrectly block with his arms............

Last edited by boranbkk; 09-28-2012 at 08:20 PM.
boranbkk is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2012, 08:13 PM   #29
boranbkk
"ไม่ได้โม้นะ"
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by outtieDrake View Post
kung fu practice more than just bare handed, they are well versed in weapons and disarming chit. so for everyday practical life you know.

plus you telling me a spinning tiger claw to your face aint gonna **** with you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red View Post
I know a guy who did Kung Fu and he was showing me how to punch using my wrists instead of my fists. Its a preaty deadly way to punch someone.
I think we found the thread openers drinking buddies.
boranbkk is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2012, 09:58 PM   #30
bald_head_slick
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Real Kung Fu is pretty brutal. I know a Ukranian cat who practices I think Wushu. It is a combination of religion/martial art. I would put my money on him against any sport trained fighter.

If you look at a fighter as a sum of his parts, the sport trained fighter would most likely unconsciously focus on rule based fighting. The Kung Fu guy would proceed to eye gouge, joint kick, testicle grab, and do various throws which land you unevenly on his knees delivering irreversible damage. Kung Fu is a martial art not a sport.

Now granted, there are sport guys who are just held back by rule sets. I would put my money on a prime Wanderlei Silva against anyone in a street fight.
bald_head_slick is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum