Malden is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2012, 02:05 AM   #452
Boxed Ears
ESB #1 Name Changer!
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665
Default Re: Kubrat Pulev's professional career

I haven't seen the fight yet but YT's got the whole thing from two different sources. I wish this was all I had to do twenty years ago to get a fight I missed that day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desoe View Post
Actually, that's exactly what he said to the bulgarian TV which broadcasted the fight. He said that probably he's going to fight one more time before facing Wlad. He also said that jabbing Ustinov to death was his main strategy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysotsky View Post
WBA is pressing Povetkin to unify with Klychko next so unless he drops his paper WBA belt and ducks him again they'll probably fight around March. Pulev may want to take a tune up fight meanwhile and defend his Euro belt one more time.
They want Povetkin to unify Volo's title...with...Volo's title? That's...like a paradox or summat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
Price rates Pulev highly. From Boxing Monthly:

"I sparred with Pulev and I got more out of that trip to Germany than all the others [Sosnowski, Chisor, Haye, Solis]. I wasn't so much a sparring partner, we were both using each other and the spars were like fights. One day I woudl get the better and the next he would get the edge over me. During one spar, I probably got caught with the best shot I have ever been tagged with bar none as a pro. I had to take the shot, but he tried to close the show because he saw he hurt me a little bit, so I had to weather the storm. I have never ever had to do that in a fight, so I am definitely learning more by going away sparring with the best than from my opponents."
I hadn't read this. Thank you. All out sparring, ey? Price and Pulev are two of my three top HW prospects. Good stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
Title edited! Finally!
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2012, 06:03 AM   #453
Boxed Ears
ESB #1 Name Changer!
East Side VIP

Done. A very good performance. He got clocked with a few big, ponderous bombs, but he took them pretty well and came back with equal parts cool-headedness and guts. He's got a great feel for not letting rounds he should win slip away. He should be proud. His last two matches in particular really solidify him as a solid contender. A real, legitimately earned, solid contender. An endangered species of creature, but still holding on, if only just. I dig Pulev's demeanor and I like his style. I felt a little bad for Ustinov. He had nearly a look of disbelief, at times. He had very little idea what to do to turn the tide. Maybe, should Wach lose as expected, a nice clash of the titans can take place between the two of them, for a decent scrap. They could call it, "Battle O' Molasses Warriors".
Old 09-30-2012, 08:49 AM   #454
Butch Coolidge
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Is it just me or does Pulev seem to have a bad habit of untucking his chin and tilting his head back? If he does that against one of the better fighters Pulev's head will land in the cheap seats, if not the parking lot.
Butch Coolidge is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2012, 09:10 AM   #455
Boxed Ears
ESB #1 Name Changer!
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch Coolidge View Post
Is it just me or does Pulev seem to have a bad habit of untucking his chin and tilting his head back? If he does that against one of the better fighters Pulev's head will land in the cheap seats, if not the parking lot.
Yeah, sometimes he uses a high guard, sometimes an anticipation-based defence, and then sometimes he seems to get clocked having not decided which way to go. He's pretty good, but invulnerable he ain't.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:32 AM   #456
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 2000

Volodomyr knocks Pulev out with a powerful, accurate right hand. Maybe not the first one that presses the button, and it might be on the later side, but that's how that ends.

Everyone else is on notice. Pulev is a serious threat to beat all the rest.
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2012, 11:33 AM   #457
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
I wish this was all I had to do twenty years ago to get a fight I missed that day.

Another clue in the files...
Old 09-30-2012, 12:39 PM   #458
Vysotsky
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch Coolidge View Post
Ya and because of that tendency..

Quote:
Volodomyr knocks Pulev out with a powerful, accurate right hand. Maybe not the first one that presses the button, and it might be on the later side, but that's how that ends.

Everyone else is on notice. Pulev is a serious threat to beat all the rest.
This will happen. But it will be nice to see someone Volodymyr's size and strength with skill being able to jab with him and force him to fight more than usual for a while before he gets Brock'd.
Vysotsky is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2012, 12:43 PM   #459
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysotsky View Post
Ya and because of that tendency..

This will happen. But it will be nice to see someone Volodymyr's size and strength with skill being able to jab with him and force him to fight more than usual for a while before he gets Brock'd.

KP will be the most worthy challenger (in terms of talent & attributes, if not quite achievement) in a long time.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:52 PM   #460
Ivo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malden View Post
Well done, King Kubrat
Kubrat Pulev is named after Khan Kubrat - the founder or Great Bulgaria in 632 AD. That's why I call him Khan Kubrat. Our first rulers were khans. Later we have tsars and emperors. Now I am happy that we are republic.

Excuse me for this outburst.
Ivo is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2012, 12:56 PM   #461
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivo View Post
Kubrat Pulev is named after Khan Kubrat - the founder or Great Bulgaria in 632 AD. That's why I call him Khan Kubrat. Our first rulers were khans. Later we have tsars and emperors. Now I am happy that we are republic.

Excuse my ignorance, but does this mean Pulev (and Bulgarians in general) are in part descended from the Golden Horde?

...because that's pretty ****ing cool.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:14 PM   #462
Malden
East Side Guru

vCash: 284988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivo View Post

Cool

Last edited by Malden; 09-30-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Malden is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2012, 01:17 PM   #463
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Pulev has impressed me very much. He does have a somewhat boring style. But he seems to be very hard to hit even though he's not really a defensive fighter. He's not a big hitter, but he busted his best opponents (Dimitrenko, Ustinov) up pretty bad, while many high KO% punchers stop scoring stoppages against more elite opposition.

I don't really see him beating Wlad currently, but I'd favor him against anyone else in the division. I may have to come back on that statement, but I think he's really strong right now.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2012, 01:19 PM   #464
Ivo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1151

Quote:
Excuse my ignorance, but does this mean Pulev (and Bulgarians in general) are in part descended from the Golden Horde?

...because that's pretty ****ing cool.
Great Bulgaria was situated between rivers Don and Dniester. I hope this map will help.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

I am sorry I don't know how to embed the map.

There are mixed sources and theories about the origin of old bulgarians as we called them but as far as I know they were not related with the Golden Horde. I guess it is hard to research since we no longer live in those areas.

In the 7 th. century AD we settled below Danube river where we are now. Later old bulgarians got mixed with slavic tribes. The old bulgarians gave the name of the country Bulgaria and the first rulers - khans. Slavic tribes gave more blood and genes so we are part of Slavic community.

Here is a source about our origin.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Ivo is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2012, 02:41 PM   #465
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

So Mongolia never occupied Bulgaria?

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum