Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 09-30-2012, 08:21 AM   #16
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: Do the UFC care outside of Canada, America, Brazil???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
Zuffa has no TV deal in the UK after years of trying. Frankly, the Brits are lucky that they're getting cards at all. MMA isn't mainstream in the UK and won't be anytime soon. It makes sense for Zuffa to focus on the places where they generate the most revenue or any revenue for that matter.
Its not all about TV deals initially!, the gate and the fan expo's in the UK must be generating a good solid amount of revenue for the UFC, the gates here in the UK are as good as anywhere in the States. They should invest and build in the UK
thewinfella is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2012, 09:12 AM   #17
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewinfella View Post
Its strange because Dana had a real hard on for the UK at one point, and Ireland too!

BJ Penn made a long awaited comeback to 155 which could of sold out any arena in the U.S. and the UK got it, Rich Franklin made a tough defence of his MW title in Ireland with Forrest on the card as a young pro!

Then what happened ???, who knows

But the UK deserve better than this
Brazil and Canada markets went from strength to strength.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2012, 09:21 AM   #18
greathamza
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 117

There isnt really any big draws from anywhere else other than Brazil, Canada and US.
Bisping sure but could they sell out a whole arena only on bispings name?
Gustafsson is big in Sweden but he still isnt that name that makes people here go "WOW now that ufc event is a must go to"
He is more of that name you mention quick in a conversation kinda like "i heard Gustafsson won last night. Cool, where are you gonna eat lunch today?"
greathamza is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2012, 10:59 AM   #19
Ne5ville14
Rationalist by default...
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by greathamza View Post
There isnt really any big draws from anywhere else other than Brazil, Canada and US.
Bisping sure but could they sell out a whole arena only on bispings name?
Gustafsson is big in Sweden but he still isnt that name that makes people here go "WOW now that ufc event is a must go to"
He is more of that name you mention quick in a conversation kinda like "i heard Gustafsson won last night. Cool, where are you gonna eat lunch today?"

you are pushing it, I could tell that to anyone at work and they wouldn't know who the **** I'm talking about... !
Ne5ville14 is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2012, 01:05 PM   #20
macp1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caestus View Post
Where I live, you mention MMA or UFC and they don't know any shit of what you are talkin.No clue.
Where I live, you mntion boxing and they don't know any shit what you are talking, aside from Tyson, maybe maybe Ali, and Rocky. However, you mention Rampage Jackson, or Jones (Jon, not the boxer), and they can tell you where they went to junior highschool.

Southern Ontario, the unofficial home of the UFC.
macp1 is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2012, 04:52 PM   #21
Thom
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Its strange because Dana had a real hard on for the UK at one point, and Ireland too!

BJ Penn made a long awaited comeback to 155 which could of sold out any arena in the U.S. and the UK got it, Rich Franklin made a tough defence of his MW title in Ireland with Forrest on the card as a young pro!

Then what happened ???, who knows

But the UK deserve better than this
The couldn't get a decent TV deal, so there's not much revenue coming from the region. They don't run PPVs there anymore because the time difference loses screws with North American PPV buys, which is where the bulk of their revenue still comes from. Additionally, in any mainstream news report in print or on television that I've seen from the UK, MMA is derisively referred to as "cage fighting" and treated the same way that it was by the US media back in the 90s when it banned from PPV here. They tried for years to gain a serious foothold, and it didn't work out.

It was even worse in Germany. MMA got banned from German television after they went over there. I don't blame them at all for not going back.
Thom is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2012, 04:57 PM   #22
Thom
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Its not all about TV deals initially!, the gate and the fan expo's in the UK must be generating a good solid amount of revenue for the UFC, the gates here in the UK are as good as anywhere in the States. They should invest and build in the UK
The bulk of the money comes from TV revenue be it a broadcast agreement or PPV. They tried to build up the brand by doing big shows over there, fan expos and local promotion, but it's still not profitable. That's all that there is to it. If they could make decent money there, they'd be running shows there. I have my issues with Zuffa management, but they're smart enough to know where their bread is buttered.
Thom is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2012, 06:28 PM   #23
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166

Well, I think they will never be big in Asia.....
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2012, 06:57 PM   #24
evalistinho
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 5461

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic-JofreBRASIL View Post
Well, I think they will never be big in Asia.....
Why do you think that Vic?
evalistinho is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2012, 08:11 PM   #25
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by evalistinho View Post
Why do you think that Vic?
I think the japanese (especially the japanese) fans like to watch another type of show....I think they like the ground game a bit more, they like those great entrances, you know....the UFC seems out of context for the typical japanese public.....just my impression...
And the UFC apparently is not too committed with Asia mma too, so I canīt see it happening, at least not too early.....
Old 09-30-2012, 10:34 PM   #26
evalistinho
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
I think the japanese (especially the japanese) fans like to watch another type of show....I think they like the ground game a bit more, they like those great entrances, you know....the UFC seems out of context for the typical japanese public.....just my impression...
And the UFC apparently is not too committed with Asia mma too, so I canīt see it happening, at least not too early.....
Good post vic.

What do you think in South America vic? Other than Brazil do you see any country with the potential of expanding MMA in their country?
Old 10-01-2012, 02:58 AM   #27
ozziebattler
Shadow Boxer
ESB Addict

Australia is ripe for the taking

Every card that has been here has sold out in time only beaten by the Canadians.. Yet the more he UFC come here the worse the cards get..
ozziebattler is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2012, 11:31 AM   #28
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by evalistinho View Post
Good post vic.

What do you think in South America vic? Other than Brazil do you see any country with the potential of expanding MMA in their country?
I donīt know.....not too early IMO. I know it is a very obscure sport in Argentina..
Iīve seen some good fighters from Peru in the last few years but I have no idea how popular is MMA there......
Old 10-01-2012, 11:31 AM   #29
hammerofthor
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

There was one in Sydney a while back that has BJ Penn, Fitch and Bisping. That is was a decent card. And realistic as well.
hammerofthor is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2012, 11:38 AM   #30
evalistinho
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
I donīt know.....not too early IMO. I know it is a very obscure sport in Argentina..
Iīve seen some good fighters from Peru in the last few years but I have no idea how popular is MMA there......
Peru was the one i was thinking as well. Its the only country i have seen in South America with some interest in MMA

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum