Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 09-30-2012, 12:35 PM   #1
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Matt Mitrione turned down fight with Daniel Cormier

Quote:
NOTTINGHAM, England Dana White thought he had Daniel Cormier's next opponent all set up. Instead, it was back to the drawing board.

Cormier (10-0 MMA, 7-0 SF) was scheduled to fight former UFC heavyweight champ Frank Mir (16-6 MMA, 14-6 UFC) in about a month in Oklahoma City. But Mir dropped out with an injury, and White and the Zuffa brass went to work on his replacement.

White thought it was going to be Matt Mitrione (5-1 MMA, 5-1 UFC) but the UFC heavyweight turned down the fight earlier this week.

"It f---ing makes me sick," White told MMAjunkie.com ([Only registered and activated users can see links. ]) on Saturday following the UFC on FUEL TV 5 post-fight news conference. "Listen, you don't want big opportunities, I hear you. I get it, then. All I can say is, I guess he doesn't want big opportunities. I get it. Duly noted.

"He wants to fight a guy who weighs 205, but doesn't want to fight the guy who's the real heavyweight, the legitimate guy who's ranked. And Mitrione's not getting any younger."

The 205-pounder White alluded to is Quinton "Rampage" Jackson, who has a newly developed beef with Mitrione, the popular Season 10 contestant from "The Ultimate Fighter" who had an NFL career before jumping into MMA.

But White said a Mitrione-Jackson fight isn't in the cards. Jackson is a light heavyweight, but could move up, of course. But he's also on the shelf after pulling out of a UFC 153 fight against Glover Teixeira.

Mitrione's next fight is booked already. He's scheduled to fight Phil De Fries (9-1 MMA, 1-1 UFC) at UFC 155 on Dec. 29 in Las Vegas.

"F---in' insane," White said. "It makes no sense to me, and it's insane. I'm a little bummed out by it. We'll figure it out. Yeah, (he's already got a fight booked). He said, 'I'll just take that one.'"

Mitrione stays true to form. *****....
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2012, 02:19 PM   #2
Ne5ville14
Rationalist by default...
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Matt Mitrione turned down fight with Daniel Cormier

4 rl ??

Man it was a win-win for him....at least IMO !!
Ne5ville14 is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2012, 02:26 PM   #3
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 847

Apparently Cormier wants Pat Barry, which on paper is a super easy fight for him.
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2012, 03:04 PM   #4
Ne5ville14
Rationalist by default...
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Hahahaha, indeed !
Ne5ville14 is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2012, 05:03 PM   #5
Thom
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Why does Dana even bother to rant about this? Who give's a shit about Mitrione turning this fight down? This is just like the UFC 151 debacle. Attack a fighter to take attention away from Zuffa's idiocy. What the **** does Mitrione have to offer Cormier? Dude was wreste****ed by Kongo. He'd have no chance whatsoever against Cormier.

And does this fat bald prick not understand that it might be better for a lower level fighter who's on the wrong side of 30 to build himself up instead of getting embarrassed by a guy that he has no business fighting on short notice? I'm really getting tired of Dana's rants about all the fighters being pussies save for his brain-damaged BFF, Chuck. What the **** does this asshole know about actually putting your health on the line to earn a living?
Thom is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2012, 05:12 PM   #6
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
Why does Dana even bother to rant about this? Who give's a shit about Mitrione turning this fight down? This is just like the UFC 151 debacle. Attack a fighter to take attention away from Zuffa's idiocy. What the **** does Mitrione have to offer Cormier? Dude was wreste****ed by Kongo. He'd have no chance whatsoever against Cormier.

And does this fat bald prick not understand that it might be better for a lower level fighter who's on the wrong side of 30 to build himself up instead of getting embarrassed by a guy that he has no business fighting on short notice? I'm really getting tired of Dana's rants about all the fighters being pussies save for his brain-damaged BFF, Chuck. What the **** does this asshole know about actually putting your health on the line to earn a living?
Dana aside you have to admit Mitrione is a desired taste....
Old 09-30-2012, 06:37 PM   #7
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

Cormier's fight is StrikeForce' last heavyweight fight. I've been screaming for Werdum the entire time. I think the winner of Cormier and Werdum should get the UFC's next title shot.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2012, 06:37 PM   #8
Thom
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
Dana aside you have to admit Mitrione is a desired taste....

I think that Mitrione is douchebag. However, he shouldn't getting attacked for turning the fight down. He's not even relevant enough to be mentioned by name by Dana or Lorenzo IMO. Dude belongs on Facebook fights.

Last edited by Thom; 09-30-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Thom is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2012, 06:38 PM   #9
LHL
Captain Freedom
East Side VIP

vCash: 2835

Yeah Mitrione does himself no favours when he opens his mouth. Poor fight if it was made the only reason I'm slightly gutted is that Matt won't be getting shut up for a while.
LHL is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2012, 06:43 PM   #10
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 847

Mitrione looked like he was improving at a decent pace, and then he had that snoozefest against Kongo where I don't recall him mounting any offense whatsoever.

And I second Werdum/Cormier. It's a great, relevant fight, and is stylisticaly intriguing.
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2012, 07:31 AM   #11
PIRA
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

PIRA is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2012, 08:26 AM   #12
SugarShane_24
ESB good-looking member
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Hey, isn't the skyscraper looking for a big name fight?
SugarShane_24 is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2012, 11:06 AM   #13
Big T
Contender
ESB Senior Member

As always ESB MMA Board is on Matt side..Well I fig you guys think it's OK that The Great Matt will call out a over the hill Light HW in Rampage..but turn down a fight vs a Top 10 fighter. That a win would bring his career back from the crapper..but nah..we give this Ass Clown a pass....
Big T is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2012, 11:17 AM   #14
Joe.Boxer
Chinchecker
ESB Addict

vCash: 240

Maybe Double M isn't as dumb as he looks, sounds, and fights after all...
Joe.Boxer is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2012, 01:44 PM   #15
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
I think that Mitrione is douchebag. However, he shouldn't getting attacked for turning the fight down. He's not even relevant enough to be mentioned by name by Dana or Lorenzo IMO. Dude belongs on Facebook fights.
This. Although you can see Dana's frustration somewhat when even a TUF nobody like Mitrione is turning down big fights.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum