Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 10-01-2012, 04:23 PM   #31
SHADOW BOX
SHADOW BOX
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Why Mayweather beats Sergio Martinez

Its hard to discuss Floyd here in ESB with these Floyd fans. Because no matter what you say or how good a point you make, they will always come back with these blind unconditional Floyd defending posts. They will defend at all costs. You cannot have a decent neutral boxing fan conversation with these guys, just Floyd fan conversations.
SHADOW BOX is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2012, 04:28 PM   #32
SHADOW BOX
SHADOW BOX
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

And to answer the question of why Mayweather beats Martinez... Well, because a Floyd Mayweather fan said so and there is nothing you can say to change his mind or make him be neutral. Its all Floyd fan talk and nothing else matters.
SHADOW BOX is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2012, 04:31 PM   #33
SJS19
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADOW BOX View Post
Its hard to discuss Floyd here in ESB with these Floyd fans. Because no matter what you say or how good a point you make, they will always come back with these blind unconditional Floyd defending posts. They will defend at all costs. You cannot have a decent neutral boxing fan conversation with these guys, just Floyd fan conversations.
Try making a decent post for once, see how the debate goes.
SJS19 is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2012, 04:33 PM   #34
ROACH
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

If Floyd walks in with a high guard, Sergio will shoot left hands into his body to break him down.

He'll also double the jab, and left straight right through his guard if not just a left straight.

Floyd would leave this fight a blood mess if that is his strategy.

If he has any hope at beating Martinez, he has to walk in circles and make Martinez follow him around the ring, and then attack when Martinez is least expecting him, with single shots.

If he throws anymore than one shot, he leaves himself open for a devestating counterpunch.

His best tactic would be to try to utilize the Hopkins game plan against Dawson, but the problem is that Martinez is more dynamic than Dawson, and recently, even against Chavez for large portions of the fight, he was forced to be the aggressor and track his opponents down.

He is skilled in this tactic, mainly because his opponents fear his power.

The ones that walk straight in, they get stopped. Barker had some success, but his superior reach and size, allowed him to establish the distance.

Mayweather doesn't have this attribute. He can't rely on his height and reach because Martinez is the bigger man, so if he tries to walk Martinez down, he'll eat hard left hands, even if they are partially blocked.

Regardless if they are, Martinez has shown capability for high output, and he doesn't have enough power to trouble Martinez.

This fight has Martinez KO written all over it.
ROACH is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2012, 04:35 PM   #35
Elliot
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 634

Quote:
I don't think you picked the right thread to say that in, the worst post in here is property of a Pac lover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude View Post
You're underrating Floyd to much in fantasy fight...you shouldn't be a Flomo because you're a disgrace to Floyd . Floyd could beat the like of a prime Tyson, why would he want to beat Martinez .
Besides I don't think Martinez will be counted as a Floyd win by anyone unless the fight actually happens and Floyd wins, this thread seems to be more a prediction of how people think the fight would go, I haven't actually seen anyone defend Floyd yet.
Elliot is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2012, 04:39 PM   #36
prelude
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Flomos are dumb as ****, Floyd is the greatest fantasy fighter ever who could possibly beat Mike Tyson and Muhammad Ali and who do the bring up....Martinez . They've disgraced Floyd big time, I'm sure Floyd is disappointed.
prelude is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2012, 04:40 PM   #37
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballchump11 View Post
I wouldn't have ever thought Floyd was going to come forward vs Sergio until watching him do it vs Mosley and Ortiz who were both pretty dangerous opponents for Floyd. Also watching the Barker fight helped as well. Floyd will need to be very very careful while doing it and keep his defense tight, but it's possible. He can't give Sergio many opportunities to counter.

You make an excellent point about Mayweather tending to follow his opponents around, and the Mitchell fight is a good example of this. I believe Floyd is a better pressure fighter now than he was then and much stronger. That version of Floyd probably wouldn't have been able to come forward vs Shane like he did later on. Sergio will be much tougher than both Mitchell and Shane though, so it still could cause trouble, but we'll have to see. I don't think he'll be coming on as hard as he did in that fight either since he'll respect Sergio more than he did Mitchell.

Also that move Floyd does with the lead right was a maneuver he used to increase the range/power on his cross and to allow him to get close to smother his opponent. I see the point you're making, and I think that has to do with Floyd's age as well. He used to get away with that punch all the time when he was younger, but he'll have to be careful vs Sergio.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Also just because he's coming forward doesn't mean he has to lead all the time. He can do it behind his defense and countering Sergio (Floyd should study some Sweet Pea to prepare )

Everything you said will come into play though. Floyd needs to be careful for Sergio straight left to the body as well. I've seen him get hit with that punch against almost every southpaw he's faced. It isn't an easy fight for either guy.

Good post
Coming forward while countering makes sense, as opposed to just trying to corner Martinez. Much more in line with what Barker had success with, I agree.

You're right about the leaping right; he leans into it sometimes, but it's not as bad in some parts vs. others. Against Cotto, it looks like he could get popped in retaliation due to his balance chasing Cotto. But against an incoming Hatton, he increased his range a whole lot by leaning forward with his feet firmly under him.

And great point on the left to the body, both have excellent straights to the body that land pretty much every damn time. Sergio just has to be careful not to fall into too much of a rhythm. Against Chavez Jr., it was Jab up top, Straight down to the stomach, OR jab to the stomach, straight up top all night. Floyd would eventually fighter that shit out, so Sergio needs to lead and counter to mix it up himself as well.

This is definitely an intriguing battle to think about
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2012, 04:40 PM   #38
Elliot
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 634

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude View Post
Flomos are dumb as ****, Floyd is the greatest fantasy fighter ever who could possibly beat Mike Tyson and Muhammad Ali and who do the bring up....Martinez . They've disgraced Floyd big time, I'm sure Floyd is disappointed.
You've never contributed anything to this forum, I'm not sure who is worse you or boyschoir.
Elliot is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2012, 04:46 PM   #39
ROACH
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
Coming forward while countering makes sense, as opposed to just trying to corner Martinez. Much more in line with what Barker had success with, I agree.

You're right about the leaping right; he leans into it sometimes, but it's not as bad in some parts vs. others. Against Cotto, it looks like he could get popped in retaliation due to his balance chasing Cotto. But against an incoming Hatton, he increased his range a whole lot by leaning forward with his feet firmly under him.

And great point on the left to the body, both have excellent straights to the body that land pretty much every damn time. Sergio just has to be careful not to fall into too much of a rhythm. Against Chavez Jr., it was Jab up top, Straight down to the stomach, OR jab to the stomach, straight up top all night. Floyd would eventually fighter that shit out, so Sergio needs to lead and counter to mix it up himself as well.

This is definitely an intriguing battle to think about
Barker's height, reach, and size contributed to this. Floyd doesn't have this advantage, unless he plans on getting underneath Martinez' punches, and coming up after ducking low, which is not the same thing.
ROACH is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2012, 05:00 PM   #40
Thatman
No respond troll pactards
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by southsidegym View Post
but that is ONLY due to size put him in Zab Judah body(who is the same size as Floyd) an its a mismatch and everyody would be saying how much of a mismatch this is and how martinez keep his hands to low etc.
I'm not taking anything away though. Not taking away his size for a "if, and, or but."

He is the hardest fight out there for Floyd.
Thatman is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2012, 05:05 PM   #41
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROACH View Post
Barker's height, reach, and size contributed to this. Floyd doesn't have this advantage, unless he plans on getting underneath Martinez' punches, and coming up after ducking low, which is not the same thing.
He can still bait Martinez into leading, and if I'm not wrong, he has the longer reach.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2012, 05:08 PM   #42
ROACH
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
He can still bait Martinez into leading, and if I'm not wrong, he has the longer reach.
He (Floyd) doesn't. And if Martinez leads, it will be a straight left to the body.

Barker is bigger and can at least, theoretically absorb more punishment than Floyd.
ROACH is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2012, 05:12 PM   #43
unloco
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 81

Quote:
i thought they both had the same reach
unloco is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2012, 05:17 PM   #44
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

Boxrec has Floyd as longer, but it's besides the point. Shorter men make taller men lead all the time. The point of it is to make them give up their height and reach. It wouldn't be easy, but it's feasible for Floyd to lead Sergio into traps by stepping back and countering off of parries and blocks. I still favor Martinez to be too mobile and awkward and successful in getting his offense going for Floyd to win, but we're talking about different avenues for success and failure here. No fight is a sealed deal until it's fought.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2012, 05:17 PM   #45
Cormega
Quadruple OG
ESB Addict

vCash: 1400

Quote:
Originally Posted by vargasfan1985 View Post
Why, cause we're right?

Do you really think Floyd will fight Maravilla when he won't fight Pac? Maravilla offered an 80-20 split with testing.

Bye Flomo Faggot
No way in hell does he get anywhere close to 20% from Floyd. He'd be lucky to get 10% and he knows it. Chavez only gave him 33%, and he's nowhere near the draw that Mayweather is.

I'd really like to see this fight at 154 as I believe it's the toughest one out there for Floyd outside of him moving up to 160.
Cormega is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum