Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 10-01-2012, 05:28 PM   #46
thawk888
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Re: Why Mayweather beats Sergio Martinez

I think people are getting carried away with how Martinez looked against a plodding Chavez Jr. The way Sergio pumps his jab, and the frequency with which he does it, leaves him open to be slipped and countered with a straight right, especially if you're using economical pressure.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
thawk888 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2012, 05:29 PM   #47
ROACH
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by unloco View Post
i thought they both had the same reach

Boxrec has Floyd listed at 72 and Sergio at 75.
ROACH is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2012, 05:30 PM   #48
ROACH
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thawk888 View Post
I think people are getting carried away with how Martinez looked against a plodding Chavez Jr. The way Sergio pumps his jab, and the frequency with which he does it, leaves him open to be slipped and countered with a straight right, especially if you're using economical pressure.

Chavez did use "economical" pressure. Perhaps, too economical, and he got an orbital bone fracture.
ROACH is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2012, 05:33 PM   #49
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 1233

Quote:
Originally Posted by vargasfan1985 View Post
Why, cause we're right?

Do you really think Floyd will fight Maravilla when he won't fight Pac? Maravilla offered an 80-20 split with testing.

Bye Flomo Faggot
posters like you are what's wrong with the general forum. Even in a thread about actual boxing and tactical strategy and breaking down stuff, you want to talk about bull shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADOW BOX View Post
Its hard to discuss Floyd here in ESB with these Floyd fans. Because no matter what you say or how good a point you make, they will always come back with these blind unconditional Floyd defending posts. They will defend at all costs. You cannot have a decent neutral boxing fan conversation with these guys, just Floyd fan conversations.
what are yu talking about? How about you actually post a counter argument. The only one I saw so far (I'm still catching up on the thread), is Bogo and I gave him credit and said all the things he mentioned will trouble Floyd and come into play.

I mentioned and acknowledged things already that will trouble Floyd and will work for Sergio. It doesn't mean I think it'll be easy for either fighter, but I believe Floyd will win.

If what I'm saying it too advanced for you, then maybe you should read up some more and shut your mouth
bballchump11 is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2012, 05:39 PM   #50
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 1233

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROACH View Post
If Floyd walks in with a high guard, Sergio will shoot left hands into his body to break him down.

He'll also double the jab, and left straight right through his guard if not just a left straight.

Floyd would leave this fight a blood mess if that is his strategy.

If he has any hope at beating Martinez, he has to walk in circles and make Martinez follow him around the ring, and then attack when Martinez is least expecting him, with single shots.

If he throws anymore than one shot, he leaves himself open for a devestating counterpunch.

His best tactic would be to try to utilize the Hopkins game plan against Dawson, but the problem is that Martinez is more dynamic than Dawson, and recently, even against Chavez for large portions of the fight, he was forced to be the aggressor and track his opponents down.

He is skilled in this tactic, mainly because his opponents fear his power.

The ones that walk straight in, they get stopped. Barker had some success, but his superior reach and size, allowed him to establish the distance.

Mayweather doesn't have this attribute. He can't rely on his height and reach because Martinez is the bigger man, so if he tries to walk Martinez down, he'll eat hard left hands, even if they are partially blocked.

Regardless if they are, Martinez has shown capability for high output, and he doesn't have enough power to trouble Martinez.

This fight has Martinez KO written all over it.
I see where you're coming from and to be honest, Sergio does best when his opponent comes to him. He also does best when he opponent gives him lots of openings and that's where Floyd is different. He's not going to come forward extra aggressive like Chavez or Tyson. Floyd may not even press the action the first few rounds either and just try to fight in the middle of the ring, but I do think he'll eventually press forward CAUTIOUSLY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
Coming forward while countering makes sense, as opposed to just trying to corner Martinez. Much more in line with what Barker had success with, I agree.

You're right about the leaping right; he leans into it sometimes, but it's not as bad in some parts vs. others. Against Cotto, it looks like he could get popped in retaliation due to his balance chasing Cotto. But against an incoming Hatton, he increased his range a whole lot by leaning forward with his feet firmly under him.

And great point on the left to the body, both have excellent straights to the body that land pretty much every damn time. Sergio just has to be careful not to fall into too much of a rhythm. Against Chavez Jr., it was Jab up top, Straight down to the stomach, OR jab to the stomach, straight up top all night. Floyd would eventually fighter that shit out, so Sergio needs to lead and counter to mix it up himself as well.

This is definitely an intriguing battle to think about
yeah man, this fight has got me thinking for awhile and both are 2 of my favorite fighters. Really hope it happens next year
bballchump11 is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2012, 05:57 PM   #51
iceman71
WBC SILVER Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

iceman71 is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2012, 05:58 PM   #52
NOTINDAFACE
No Me Se Rajar
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatman View Post
And the same thing was said about Shane Mosley. Then there will be another name...and another one...and another one..and another one.

Both posters above give excellent analysis of this fight and this asshole comes with this shit.
There are 2 names left for Mayweather before he can retire a top 10 ATG in my opinion, Martinez and Pac. After that i give him all the credit in the world, Shane was washed up by the time they met, and i give him better credit beating Ortiz who atleast was in his prime.
Alvarez would also be nice, but i wouldnt demand that fight to prove Mayweather's greatness in terms as a top 10 ATG
NOTINDAFACE is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2012, 05:59 PM   #53
SJS19
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman71 View Post
What do you actually contribute Grandad? Just one negative post after another. Why are you still involved with this sport?
SJS19 is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2012, 06:00 PM   #54
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru

vCash: 93

The size and strenght of Matinez is enought to negate any gameplan brought by Maywether. He is going to take more hurting from Martinez in the pocket and exchanges than Martinez will from Floyd.

Strenght might be a basic factor to base the outcome of the fight on , but i think thats what it ultimately come's down to. And the reason why Floyd wont take the fight.
dinovelvet is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #55
iceman71
WBC SILVER Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJS19 View Post
What do you actually contribute Grandad? Just one negative post after another. Why are you still involved with this sport?
you mad?
quit your crying you little bitch and face the facts, mayweather is a fraud and will never fight a guy that has a chance to KO him....now go do your homework in your mommys basement
iceman71 is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #56
rayrobinson
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballchump11 View Post
I got tired of always having to write out an analysis for this fight, so I just wanted to make a thread, so I don't have to anymore
Here's why and how I think Mayweather beats Sergio Martinez. I'm just taking my old breakdown and adding more details to it and new things I learned from watching Sergio.

The way I see Floyd fighting and frustrating Sergio is by coming forward with his high guard and catching and neutralizing Sergio's jab while he tries to establish his jab. It's hard to out jab a southpaw who is taller than you (Ortiz) but if Sergio keeps his hands down, then you can land easy. Sergio always drops his hands by his side after he throws his jab and even Chavez Jr was able to counter over it. Sergio has a great jab, but dropping down to your waist after you throw it is an awful idea vs Mayweather.

I see Floyd maybe getting caught a few times in the first few rounds from Sergio countering him from weird angles, while Floyd tries attack him. Barker had success because he didn't give Sergio much to counter and when he did throw, he would step back and also bring his hands back quick and high enough for him not to get countered. Macklin also tried to use his reach and be economical with his punches to avoid Sergio countering him.

I think Floyd will feint Sergio into moving the way he wants whole his hands are down and then follow up with a lead right. He'll also make sure to get out the way and pot shot to avoid counters like this

Sergio after a while may try to start leading more like he did with Barker, but Floyd won't stand still when he flurries. In the words of Money Mayweather - "You won't see him hitting me with that wild shit." When Floyd is in his high guard, he still makes sure he can retreat quickly with his feet. So combos like this WILL NOT be landing on Floyd. Floyd isn't like Dzinzurik or Barker when using his high guard, because he uses much movement than them.

Also Sergio despite Sergio being the bigger man, I think Floyd will get the better of him in the pocket and in clinches. Sergio showed some good stuff against Chavez, but defensively, he has no answer in the pocket. That's what sets fighters like Mayweather or Ward apart from other fighters in the pocket, is their defense. Plus even when against the ropes or up close, Sergio's answer to it would be to put one arm up to his face and keep the other hand down and sit there without rolling or slipping anything.

You guys can very much expect Floyd to be targeting Sergio's body in this fight. Macklin had plenty of success setting up his straight right to the body with the help of his feints and range finding jabs (similar to the gif shown above). After multiple rounds of establishing that punch, the right hand upstairs became very open for Macklin.

With all that said, I hope this fight takes place at 154 pounds in 2013
Ball , Sergio stops Cotto , Mosley , Ortiz , JMM ,Hatton ,

Being unbeaten doesnt mean you are unbeatable.

If Mayweather wants to talk about his health he should fight Pacquiao before even considering Sergio.

If Cotto can get to you then Sergio stops you.
rayrobinson is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2012, 06:05 PM   #57
SJS19
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman71 View Post
you mad?
quit your crying you little bitch and face the facts, mayweather is a fraud and will never fight a guy that has a chance to KO him....no go do your homework in your mommys basement
Wonderful.

'Change the record'? That should hit home. All your posts are you moaning rather than contributing, so again; if everything is so awful, why are you here?
SJS19 is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2012, 06:06 PM   #58
iceman71
WBC SILVER Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinovelvet View Post
The size and strenght of Matinez is enought to negate any gameplan brought by Maywether. He is going to take more hurting from Martinez in the pocket and exchanges than Martinez will from Floyd.

Strenght might be a basic factor to base the outcome of the fight on , but i think thats what it ultimately come's down to. And the reason why Floyd wont take the fight.
normally a guy who is almost 38 would fit right in as a choice opponent...but not a dangerous opponent thats pound for pound top 3 in the world.....floyd aint no idiot and theres a reason his bitch ass wont fight him yet alone mention his name...
iceman71 is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2012, 06:07 PM   #59
Florez
Champion
East Side Guru

Nice Thread, took an effort to analyze how the fight would go.
Great job
I would like to see someone make a thread on how a fight goes, how would Martinez beat Mayweather and then we can argue about it then.

Florez is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2012, 06:08 PM   #60
iceman71
WBC SILVER Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJS19 View Post
Wonderful.

'Change the record'? That should hit home. All your posts are you moaning rather than contributing, so again; if everything is so awful, why are you here?
youre the only one moaning and crying here you little bitch. typical for a mayweather fan
iceman71 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum