Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

View Poll Results: What's the limit for Stefan Struve?
Potential champion 10 23.81%
Koscheck-like - top-level guy for years, loses his title shots 9 21.43%
Respectable gatekeeper for the division's elite 19 45.24%
Pretty much maxed out right now 4 9.52%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-04-2012, 07:03 PM   #16
UnleashtheFURY
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: What's the ceiling for Stefan Struve?

A lot of the top HW guys are getting up there in age, Struve is already good enough to give most of them a good fight. in 4-5 years a lot of the guys in the top 10 will either be retired or washed up, and I don't see any signs of the HW division growing or getting any better. HW will be a lot worse in a couple of years once the top guys retire.
UnleashtheFURY is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2012, 07:08 PM   #17
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnleashtheFURY View Post
Struve is only 24. in 4-5 more years a lot of the names we've come accustomed to will be long gone. Struve will likely still be there, and will be a lot better. potential champion for sure.
Quote:
A lot of the top HW guys are getting up there in age, Struve is already good enough to give most of them a good fight. in 4-5 years a lot of the guys in the top 10 will either be retired or washed up, and I don't see any signs of the HW division growing or getting any better. HW will be a lot worse in a couple of years once the top guys retire.
You have heard the term's evolution and expansion right ?

Well MMA is doing both, far more rapidly than any other contact sport in the world, the new replace the old, and what were finding out is that the new come better and more prepared than the old, and the old are being replaced when there not really that old

Anyway ................. enough riddles

I have to disagree with the theory thats its simply a waiting game for Struve because dos Santos, Overeem, Velasquez and Cormier will not be around for much longer

I mean thats very very short sighted of you to state that

To be a champion in todays MMA, you have to be Elite, Struve has shown no signs that he will become Elite thus far in my humble opinion , the Elite of the division would all despatch Struve inside 5 minutes i have no doubt about that
thewinfella is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2012, 07:45 PM   #18
UnleashtheFURY
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewinfella View Post
You have heard the term's evolution and expansion right ?

Well MMA is doing both, far more rapidly than any other contact sport in the world, the new replace the old, and what were finding out is that the new come better and more prepared than the old, and the old are being replaced when there not really that old

Anyway ................. enough riddles

I have to disagree with the theory thats its simply a waiting game for Struve because dos Santos, Overeem, Velasquez and Cormier will not be around for much longer

I mean thats very very short sighted of you to state that

To be a champion in todays MMA, you have to be Elite, Struve has shown no signs that he will become Elite thus far in my humble opinion , the Elite of the division would all despatch Struve inside 5 minutes i have no doubt about that
HW talent pool still sucks and I don't really see any signs of it improving, at this point Struve can avenge any of his losses except for the JDS loss pretty easily. Struve isn't anywhere near his peak, and in 5 years or so he'll be really hard to beat.
UnleashtheFURY is online now  Top
Old 10-04-2012, 08:05 PM   #19
CrimsonBeast
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
HW talent pool still sucks and I don't really see any signs of it improving, at this point Struve can avenge any of his losses except for the JDS loss pretty easily. Struve isn't anywhere near his peak, and in 5 years or so he'll be really hard to beat.
I don't agree with this simply because he is not going to get any faster. Guys like Cain and JDS will always be able to out trade em in the pocket and get the KO. Not enough quick twitch muscles for the elite level.

I think he will stay a gatekeeper and that is nothing to be ashamed of
CrimsonBeast is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2012, 08:35 PM   #20
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawSlayer View Post
for mma's sake lets hope he doesnt ever become champion
Yeah a 7 footer with heaps of personality, a well-deserved reputation for never being an a dull fight, a mediocre chin and probably the most aggressive killer instinct in the division. What a nightmare that would be for the sport if that guy managed to win a title fight somewhere along the line.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2012, 09:34 PM   #21
coog
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post
Yeah a 7 footer with heaps of personality, a well-deserved reputation for never being an a dull fight, a mediocre chin and probably the most aggressive killer instinct in the division. What a nightmare that would be for the sport if that guy managed to win a title fight somewhere along the line.

Heavyweights seem to about striking he seems to be a good grappler and he does have a kickboxing background. he needs to concentrate more on his boxing. jab more consistantly and follow up with his right simple he could be good.
coog is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2012, 09:43 PM   #22
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by coog View Post
Heavyweights seem to about striking he seems to be a good grappler and he does have a kickboxing background. he needs to concentrate more on his boxing. jab more consistantly and follow up with his right simple he could be good.
Yeah he definitely needs to use his height more. His main problem I think is that he just naturally loves to brawl. It's good that he's a natural fighter, but that in-your-face brawling mindset works a lot better when you're a short stocky pitbull than it does when you're a lanky 7 footer with a questionable chin. He's now showing signs of being more serious and getting more intelligent in the cage though.

What I love about Struve is his aggression and killer instinct. There are no half-measures with this guy. He's kill or be killed. If he shakes you with a punch, he is IMMEDIATELY on you like stink on shit, looking to end it right there. If he's on the ground with you, he's constantly looking for submissions, and he grabs them with speed and decisiveness.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:41 AM   #23
SouthpawSlayer
Im coming for you
East Side Guru

Quote:

so your traits in a UFC HW champ are height, personality, having a bad chin and never being in a dull fight

i knew wrestling, striking, conditioning were overrated oh just so you know i think SS lacks in all of these

your threads are getting worse week by week, as for the part i highlighted and underlined your a joker, is anyone else reading this shit
SouthpawSlayer is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2012, 03:47 AM   #24
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 847

His conditioning seems fine. Probably one of his strong points, actually.
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2012, 03:53 AM   #25
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

Quote:
so your traits in a UFC HW champ are height, personality, having a bad chin and never being in a dull fight
I never commented on his ability. Simply observed that a 7 foot tall fighter with a reliably fan-friendly fighting style and engaging personality would be a marketable and popular champion.

Quote:
i knew wrestling, striking, conditioning were overrated oh just so you know i think SS lacks in all of these
Great, well I don't think he's top class either. Don't recall ever hailing him as a great fighter or potential great, come to think of it.

But he's improving and he's young enough that he has plenty of time.

Quote:
your threads are getting worse week by week, as for the part i highlighted and underlined your a joker, is anyone else reading this shit
Struve has 30 professional fights. Win or lose, he has ENTERED the third round ONCE in his career.

30 fights. 29 of them stopped in the first or second round. Eleven of them in the UFC. But according to you, for some reason he doesn't rank with the most aggressive kill or be killed guys in the division. Who's the moron?

Old 10-05-2012, 04:28 AM   #26
SouthpawSlayer
Im coming for you
East Side Guru

Quote:
I never commented on his ability. Simply observed that a 7 foot tall fighter with a reliably fan-friendly fighting style and engaging personality would be a marketable and popular champion.

Great, well I don't think he's top class either. Don't recall ever hailing him as a great fighter or potential great, come to think of it.

But he's improving and he's young enough that he has plenty of time.

Struve has 30 professional fights. Win or lose, he has ENTERED the third round ONCE in his career.

30 fights. 29 of them stopped in the first or second round. Eleven of them in the UFC. But according to you, for some reason he doesn't rank with the most aggressive kill or be killed guys in the division. Who's the moron?

im still laughing at you saying struve has the most aggressive killer instinct in the division, you pleb
Old 10-05-2012, 04:34 AM   #27
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

Quote:
im still laughing at you saying struve has the most aggressive killer instinct in the division, you pleb
Since I'm such a retard, it should be easy for you to tell me why Struve is NOT one of the most aggressive fighters in the HW division.

List 3 active heavyweights who are more reliable in delivering action-packed brawls with stoppage finishes.

But you won't, because you can't.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:24 AM   #28
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

Quote:
So who exactly sucks from the current crop of Elite HW's ??

Whats he gonna do hide for 5 years until his peak powers have arrived ??
thewinfella is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2012, 12:25 PM   #29
SouthpawSlayer
Im coming for you
East Side Guru

Quote:
Since I'm such a retard, it should be easy for you to tell me why Struve is NOT one of the most aggressive fighters in the HW division.

List 3 active heavyweights who are more reliable in delivering action-packed brawls with stoppage finishes.

But you won't, because you can't.

hold up you are changing your story once again, a typical haggis trait whilst getting owned, you said SS had the most aggressive killer instinct in the HW's i quoted it below just incase you forgot so dsont start changing your ****ing story bellend.

you want reasons why SS is not the most aggressive with most killer instinct well this is why;

1. poor chin
2. lack of defence in striking
3. lack of use of his best asset - His range and reach
4. Poor striking
5. His opposition has been wank, he has fought 1 top 5 fighter and got taken out in a minute IIRC
6. he has lost to guys not even in the top 10, by strikes
7. for someone with loads of killer instinct it took him a long time to get his opposition out of there in the fights i saw of him

you are licking this guys ass haggis and his oposition has been poor

JDS
AO
Cain
Bigfoot
Cormier
Carwin

all these guys have more killer instinct than struve you mong, there are plenty more too

even fat nelson knocked him out ffs

Quote:

Old 10-05-2012, 12:31 PM   #30
Ne5ville14
Rationalist by default...
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Ne5ville14 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum