boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: If you were Joe Calzaghe will you come out of retirement to fight Ward
Yes 78 19.40%
no 324 80.60%
Voters: 402. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-06-2012, 05:57 AM   #1
Skittlez
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75
Default If YOU were Joe Calzaghe, would you come out of retirement to fight Andre Ward?

Assuming

1- You are not broke, you don't really need the money. Although an extra few million is always good.

2- You can still fight at 75% of what you used to be.

Pros-Legacy.
This will literally sky rocket Joe's legacy even higher. He would be known as the former great champion who came back and defeated the CURRENT great champion. Could make a few million from this fight.

Cons
- Might become addicted to boxing again.
Although I believe Joe can beat Ward even now,I think if Joe goes through the entire SMW division a 2nd time it will take too much out of him at this stage. That being said, when he beats Ward he might become addicted to boxing again and want to fight longer and longer. Eventually leading to a fluke loss, which might be hard to recover from when you are in your 40's. We don't want to see him like Roy Jones Jr.

Look at Roy Jones, his legacy diminishes with every loss and sleep inducing coma KO he receives.

IF JOE come back, beat Ward and RETIRES again, that will be perfect.

I'm not going to say health risk because Ward's punches can't hurt anyone other than a drained Chad Dawson. So Joe's health is not an issue here.
Skittlez is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2012, 06:02 AM   #2
Barrera
Cotto Crabwalk Enthusiast
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Re: If YOU were Joe Calzaghe, would you come out of retirement to fight Andre Ward?

realistically he could come out and loose but no one would say it meant anything

he has his 0 and earnt it. if he had a lose id say go for it..

if he did fight ward and gave him any sort of trouble then we all know calz would murder him in his prime
Barrera is offline  Top
Old 10-06-2012, 06:02 AM   #3
HerolGee
Champion
East Side Guru

Default Re: If YOU were Joe Calzaghe, would you come out of retirement to fight Andre Ward?

no frigging way.

no need to lose to zero now, should have put it on the line when he was younger. Needs to retain the zero now to maintain some kind of credit in the wake of superior SMWs overtaking him as the century progresses.
HerolGee is offline  Top
Old 10-06-2012, 06:03 AM   #4
Skittlez
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrera View Post
realistically he could come out and loose but no one would say it meant anything

he has his 0 and earnt it. if he had a lose id say go for it..

if he did fight ward and gave him any sort of trouble then we all know calz would murder him in his prime
Very good point. It's hard to decide, because like what you said. If Joe came back now and loses a 'split decision' it basically means he would have murdered Ward in his prime.
Skittlez is offline  Top
Old 10-06-2012, 06:07 AM   #5
skoorydookatron
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1768

Does nothing to hurt Calzaghe.

Ward would be the only one with anything to lose.
skoorydookatron is offline  Top
Old 10-06-2012, 06:16 AM   #6
Absolutely!
Fabulous, darling!
ESB Addict

I wouldn't think it's worth the risk. At this stage I doubt Zags has what it takes to beat any top level SMW and even if he gave Ward a tough fight people are more likely to remember his sole loss than anything else.
Absolutely! is offline  Top
Old 10-06-2012, 06:17 AM   #7
AliShuffle
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 575

Not a chance.
AliShuffle is offline  Top
Old 10-06-2012, 06:44 AM   #8
Johnny Coyle
ESB Senior Member

No way..... whats the point? what would it prove?
Johnny Coyle is offline  Top
Old 10-06-2012, 06:49 AM   #9
Big Left
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Calgazhe would lose badly, he is 40 years old and out of shape. He is never going to be what he was in his prime again, not even half as good as the well past prime version of him that beat B-Hop so throughly.
Big Left is offline  Top
Old 10-06-2012, 07:15 AM   #10
timeout
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 191

If the money is right why not.

But I fear that ward can't generate that kind of money to entice sir Joe back.
timeout is offline  Top
Old 10-06-2012, 07:17 AM   #11
HerolGee
Champion
East Side Guru

If the question was whether Joe would come back to fight Ward, then the answer is a lot simpler - no and never. He's not going to change the habit of a lifetime now by cherrypicking weaker guys he can comfortably beat/top guys when they are too past it to beat him (Reid and perhaps Kessler permitting).

This only becomes viable if WE are Joe Calzaghe, that is, we appraoch it without his mindset. IF I WAS Joe Calzaghe, I would have moved up from SMW earlier ofr more money and bigger fights, replaced 90% of my defences with decent challengers, maybe suffered a loss or three in the process, and retired rich at 35 free from criticism about opposition and cowardice.

Last edited by HerolGee; 10-06-2012 at 07:30 AM.
HerolGee is offline  Top
Old 10-06-2012, 07:20 AM   #12
Dipset
Dipset4Ever
ESB Addict

vCash: 639

F**k..no...I would just...talk **** from the side lines...
Dipset is offline  Top
Old 10-06-2012, 07:53 AM   #13
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side VIP

vCash: 527

Calzaghe loses in his prime let alone at 40 with 4 years inactivity. Not even competitive. If Calzaghe were to fight at SMW now he would be a frail walking meatsack. Some people are clueless.

Knock out loss for Joe within 5 rounds.
dinovelvet is offline  Top
Old 10-06-2012, 07:58 AM   #14
HerolGee
Champion
East Side Guru

I agree this might even be the first time Joe gets stopped. He was resilent but without his one main strength, his fitness, he cant outgass anyone anymore, and hes going to lose heart fast.

Normally he wouldt get stopped though.
HerolGee is offline  Top
Old 10-06-2012, 08:02 AM   #15
Mordechai
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

calzaghe would outclass ward in his prime. thats a fact. i'am 100 % that ward will lose in the next two years. i would bet that dirrell beats him. his lack of power will cost him an atg career. because there will be a guy with great power and a pressure style who will catch ward.
Mordechai is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum