Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 10-04-2012, 10:09 PM   #1
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177
Default Has Jon Jones quite reached his peak yet, or is he still pre-prime?

Jones has just turned 25, and he appears noticeably more solid and physically stronger than he did when he started making noise against the likes of Vera and Bader. And his technique is still loose, but it's definitely tighter than it was a couple of years ago.

Every fighter ages differently at every stage of their careers. But most heavier fighters who don't heavily rely on explosive speed and superior reflexes tend to have their best fighting years around the age of 26-32, give or take. Most HW and LHW champions are aroundabout this age, if not a little older.

In your opinion, has Jones fully entered his prime years, or is there enough physical and technical improvement available to him that he can still be considered (slightly) green or pre-prime?

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2012, 10:37 PM   #2
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: Has Jon Jones quite reached his prime yet, or is he still pre-prime?

His biggest gain is his physical size mixed with the athleticism. It seems he is peaking for LHW, also his game is getting noticeably more conservative probably preparing for a move to HW soon where his physical size won't be much of a presence for the likes of JDS and Velazquez.

One thing I want to add with Jon Jones, he is not some invincible fighter some want to play him out to be. When I see him fight there is an extremely talented but vulnerable fighter. The pressure must be high for jones to keep the streak going.
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2012, 10:52 PM   #3
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

Default Re: Has Jon Jones quite reached his prime yet, or is he still pre-prime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejokerswild View Post
His biggest gain is his physical size mixed with the athleticism. It seems he is peaking for LHW, also his game is getting noticeably more conservative probably preparing for a move to HW soon where his physical size won't be much of a presence for the likes of JDS and Velazquez.
Yeah I think this must be the most dominant phase of his career, (surely......) but maybe I should use the phrase "reached his peak" rather than "reached his prime."

I don't see the hurry for him to move up to heavy anyway. He still seems to make weight easily. If he waits a full four years to do it, he'll be 29 and time will still be on his side. Meanwhile he'll have racked up at least 10 LHW fights, be MMA's #1 LHW GOAT, and most likely be approaching or exceeding Anderson's UFC title defence record. Shit, he's almost halfway there right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejokerswild View Post
One thing I want to add with Jon Jones, he is not some invincible fighter some want to play him out to be. When I see him fight there is an extremely talented but vulnerable fighter. The pressure must be high for jones to keep the streak going.
Yeah he's human like anyone else, and Belfort showed that he can be suddenly and decisively beaten.

He does seem like the kind of guy who thrives on pressure though. His fights with Bader and Shogun showed that. He sincerely believes that he is destined to be MMA's #1, and he does seem legitimately relaxed, confident and happy in the cage.

Completely agree that he's flawed though. But he does - still - have a lot of room for improvement, both physically and technique-wise. I reckon his biggest concern might be jumping up to HW too soon. IMO there's no rush for him to do it. He can spend three or four years at LHW and I won't hate on him for it.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:41 PM   #4
rusty nails
Tszyu for PM!!
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

hell never be a better fighter than he is now. he might add some more tools to his kit but from a mental aspect hell never have more desire, determination and will to win than he currently posseses.
rusty nails is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2012, 12:47 AM   #5
LeBeave
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Has Jon Jones quite reached his peak yet, or is he still pre-prime?

Why is it before i read the title before the author, i realised it was 100% Haggis material.
LeBeave is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2012, 12:52 AM   #6
LeBeave
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

BTW you have stated in other threads the similarity to Tyson, that being the case, he might have peaked already given Tyson dominated at an early age.

The Tyson / Lewis peaks are poles apart given their similar age.......... Nobody who is a wecking machine at such a young age can consistently continue that until late 30's etc

Fedor and Ali are prime examples...... time and age beats us all in the end
LeBeave is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2012, 01:20 AM   #7
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBeave View Post
BTW you have stated in other threads the similarity to Tyson, that being the case, he might have peaked already given Tyson dominated at an early age.

The Tyson / Lewis peaks are poles apart given their similar age.......... Nobody who is a wecking machine at such a young age can consistently continue that until late 30's etc

Fedor and Ali are prime examples...... time and age beats us all in the end
Mate, he's 25. Most light-heavyweights and heavyweights don't reach their peak until their late 20s.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:40 AM   #8
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBeave View Post
Why is it before i read the title before the author, i realised it was 100% Haggis material.
Why is it that when I saw your name as the last response, I knew that your contribution would just be some aimless bitching.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:42 AM   #9
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru

vCash: 553

He will get better with more and more experience.

JJ is great, and finished almost every opponent. Hardly any damage either, and he showed what's inside when he didn't tap.
BobDigi5060 is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2012, 03:43 AM   #10
SouthpawSlayer
Im coming for you
East Side Guru

this thread is so interesting it has creaming in my pants
SouthpawSlayer is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2012, 07:33 AM   #11
Boyd
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Clearly pre prime
Boyd is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2012, 10:20 AM   #12
chimba
Off the Somali Coast
East Side VIP

vCash: 800

He will improve but his standup will never reach a point that can compete with the Elite strikers of the day. If He gets dumb enough to stand up with an Anderson Silva, He'll get obliterated.
chimba is offline  Top
Old 10-06-2012, 09:35 AM   #13
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

Jones in his prime years, one must think that once his physical capabilities begin to dwindle, so will he

Technically sound but when he gets in the shit he goes to them genetics to get him out of it, once that "go too" goes, he will begin to lose fights

I dont think Jones will be the force he is now in 4 years, 1 of 2 things will happen for me a) he outgrows 205 and gets hammered at HW or b) he just loses interest.

At the rate he's growing he cannot possibly make 205 for another 2 years.

But until something drastic happens to Jones, he's going to continue to hammer everybody in his path at 205 Fact !!!!
thewinfella is offline  Top
Old 10-06-2012, 03:59 PM   #14
Muchmoore

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post
Mate, he's 25. Most light-heavyweights and heavyweights don't reach their peak until their late 20s.

Fighting is rough on the body and the injuries add up. Jones sure as hell isn't getting better than he is now with the arm injury from Belfort, hunger/determination etc. The training camps take a toll
Old 10-06-2012, 04:03 PM   #15
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 847

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimba View Post
He will improve but his standup will never reach a point that can compete with the Elite strikers of the day. If He gets dumb enough to stand up with an Anderson Silva, He'll get obliterated.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum