Old 10-06-2012, 09:02 AM   #16
DaveK
Vicious & Malicious
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: holyfield vs. marciano

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSouthpaw View Post
If Marciano hurts him or drops him...The fights over, and do you really think Holy would go toe to toe with Rocky. Or does he stay away fight a smart fight use his jab, jumpin in and out with great combos and countering.
Holyfield isn't known for fighting the smartest fights. He has a great jab, but many times, he obliges his opponent by banging it out, which would be the case here.
DaveK is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2012, 09:52 AM   #17
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovid***ile View Post
Holyfield was two weeks from his 41st birthday in that Toney fight. Maybe Marciano pulls out the stoppage then just like he did against Archie Moore 39, Jersey Joe Walcott 39, and Joe Louis 37. Marciano was real good at beating up old guys. I just don't see him doing that to any ATG heavyweights his own age. Prime for prime Holyfield has this one.
Those older guys may have been more equip than the 43 year old Holmes and the 42 year old Foreman that Evander beat. No I will make it clear a prime Marciano would Stop a prime Evander, its a matter of styles
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2012, 01:39 AM   #18
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikibalt View Post
At any weight Holy doesn't punch hard enough to hurt Rocky. Late (15 round fight) round KO for Rocky
Holyfield hit hard enough to drop Ray Mercer, Riddick Bowe and Mike Tyson but he cant hurt Marciano?
ETM is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2012, 04:40 AM   #19
Danmann
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETM View Post
Holyfield hit hard enough to drop Ray Mercer, Riddick Bowe and Mike Tyson but he cant hurt Marciano?
Tyson was shot when they fought and was beaten before he went down. Tyson was getting beat and knocked down by a lot of guys in last years.

Mercer was drunk and drug user, he was also easy to hit, and Bowe knock down I can't remember. Thing is, Marciano was not as easy to hit as some are making, and he took better shot than Bowe or mercer.
Danmann is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2012, 05:28 AM   #20
MadcapMaxie
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
Holyfield isn't known for fighting the smartest fights. He has a great jab, but many times, he obliges his opponent by banging it out, which would be the case here.
This was my immediate thought, Holyfield had such a bad tendancy to stand toe to toe and slug, if he did it against the much bigger Bowe and Foreman he'll do it to Marciano. Despite what some claim Holyfield didn't have the greatest stamina he fought in burts and picked his moments when to exert pressure and was also very on and off. Some fights he was brilliant other times he was a zombie.

Holyfield is gonna need to be in the best shape of his life AND fight the smartest fight of his life if he's gonna beat Marciano. Unless Marciano gets KO'd which I doubt, Holyfield is gonna have to beat Marciano over 15 rounds a distance he's never gone and against the greatest conditioned Heavy ever with alot of power, good chin and inhuman will.I think Marciano's stamina and workrate is too much for Holyfield and outworks him to a UD or possibly very late TKO (Championship rounds).
MadcapMaxie is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2012, 06:17 AM   #21
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Hard to say. Rocky is one of the best p4p h2h fighters ever and if Holy was made to come in below 200 then I think rocky stops him late.

However we do know for a fact that Holy can carry extra weight effectively and if he was alllowed to come in at 210+ he'd probably be able to grind out a points decision.
lufcrazy is online now  Top
Old 10-07-2012, 06:24 AM   #22
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadcapMaxie View Post
This was my immediate thought, Holyfield had such a bad tendancy to stand toe to toe and slug, if he did it against the much bigger Bowe and Foreman he'll do it to Marciano. Despite what some claim Holyfield didn't have the greatest stamina he fought in burts and picked his moments when to exert pressure and was also very on and off. Some fights he was brilliant other times he was a zombie.

Holyfield is gonna need to be in the best shape of his life AND fight the smartest fight of his life if he's gonna beat Marciano. Unless Marciano gets KO'd which I doubt, Holyfield is gonna have to beat Marciano over 15 rounds a distance he's never gone and against the greatest conditioned Heavy ever with alot of power, good chin and inhuman will.I think Marciano's stamina and workrate is too much for Holyfield and outworks him to a UD or possibly very late TKO (Championship rounds).
Holyfield once went 15 at a workrate very comparable to Marcianos.
LittleRed is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2012, 09:30 AM   #23
MadcapMaxie
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRed View Post
Holyfield once went 15 at a workrate very comparable to Marcianos.
Can't believe I spaced on the Qawi fight
MadcapMaxie is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2012, 12:19 PM   #24
KidDynamite
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETM View Post
Mercer went down due to exhaustion rather than Holyfields power ... Holyfields head did serious damage to Mike and even opened a cut over his eye ... so much for "dropping" him
KidDynamite is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2012, 12:27 PM   #25
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadcapMaxie View Post
Can't believe I spaced on the Qawi fight
Its no big deal. I almost consider cruiser Holyfield a different fighter.
LittleRed is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2012, 12:29 PM   #26
BillB
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Holyfield with his headbutts could bust up Rocky's face enough for a stoppage.
BillB is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2012, 12:37 PM   #27
Danebrogen
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Will the nostalgia nuthuggers ever come to their senses?
Danebrogen is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2012, 12:48 PM   #28
techks
ATG list Killah!
East Side Guru

Location: ......Bit stalkerish to ask where I live don't ya think?
vCash: 85

Either Marciano gets dropped or both do. I see a long war and one better than Holy against Qawi the first time but not as technical. Would be interesting and would love to see this as well as Norton-Holy. Think those fights are wars an Holy vs Norton/Marciano are made for each other. Norton/Holy more technical but still a fine scrap.

Anyone could outwork any and a bigger Holyfield could take punishment better. For instance I think Tyson would have stopped him in 91 but he had a chance. 96 was just his time to beat him and people highly underrate the few but deadly bodyshots and uppercuts that Holy had to deal with. I see a Holy with hair being more mobile with Marciano but going to a hard earned decision SD that could go to any man if Rocky doesn't stop him late. A bigger one I don't think stops him but fights more statonary though not sure which man that favors more.

Great wars! (Norton/Holy & Holy/Rocky)
techks is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2012, 09:20 PM   #29
BillB
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danebrogen View Post
Will the nostalgia nuthuggers ever come to their senses?

What does that mean?

Nostalgia takes in both Marciano and Holyfield.
BillB is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2012, 10:23 PM   #30
RockyJim
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Love Marciano in this...an exciting fight...action galore...The Rock wins by a TKO...
RockyJim is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum