Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 10-07-2012, 08:14 AM   #1
hernanday
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Does anyone worry about the long term effects of boxing

For those of you who do box, are any of you worried of alzheimer or parkinsons, or getting blood clots to the brain or going blind in your later years,or any of the other effects from long term boxing? I was watching something on james toney and how all those concussions have messed up his hormone levels and how 50% of pro boxers have unusually LOW testosterone and hgh because of the ratling around of the pititary gland from head punches. It is something I think about every now and then but at this point it isnt a major concern because I haven't gone pro yet.
hernanday is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2012, 09:38 AM   #2
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Does anyone worry about the long term effects of boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanday View Post
For those of you who do box, are any of you worried of alzheimer or parkinsons, or getting blood clots to the brain or going blind in your later years,or any of the other effects from long term boxing? I was watching something on james toney and how all those concussions have messed up his hormone levels and how 50% of pro boxers have unusually LOW testosterone and hgh because of the ratling around of the pititary gland from head punches. It is something I think about every now and then but at this point it isnt a major concern because I haven't gone pro yet.
Yes to what you say. Now you have me worried reading your post. But in 5 minutes I will have Forgot your Post. .
scrap is online now  Top
Old 10-07-2012, 02:13 PM   #3
Dark Sider
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 598

I can't see any problems at the amateur level.
Dark Sider is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2012, 04:42 PM   #4
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post
Yes, it bothers me quite a lot actually.
It should concern everyone, you are all you Have. You get Kids come in Gyms, most need protecting from themselves. Thats the coaches prime concern, or should be. Guys come in gyms with Pre conceptions, by listening to Bullshit stories, of Ego and Lies at a young age. To End its a risk, but so is Rugby Rock Climbing any dangerous Sport. I have a Photo of my Wedding, 8 of the Guys on it are no longer with us, all Died on doing something they loved, Climbing Mountains.
scrap is online now  Top
Old 10-07-2012, 05:37 PM   #5
StillWill
Dr. Eisenfaust
ESB Addict

vCash: 174

Definitely. Often times when I forget something I always think "is this because of boxing"?
StillWill is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2012, 05:47 PM   #6
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
If you really worry about things like this you're participating in the wrong sport.

I play rugby. Could I end up with broken bones, get knocked out, any number of severe injuries? Yes. But I love the sport so I don't even think about it.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2012, 07:21 PM   #7
hernanday
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Rugby is far safer than boxing. You are not getting punched in the head hundreds of time. Rugby is safer that football because people are not covered in padding so do not take retarded risk they would not otherwise take (ie ramming ones head into their opponent at top speed.) You'd may get knocked out 2-3 times in rugby over several years, one can get concussions much more often in boxing. The closest thing would be either football running back, wrestler or hockey player who gets routinely checked. I've played rugby, its not really all that dangerous from a concussion point of view. because the guys are not trying to concuss you they are trying to stop you from moving forward
Old 10-07-2012, 08:12 PM   #8
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Rugby is far safer than boxing. You are not getting punched in the head hundreds of time. Rugby is safer that football because people are not covered in padding so do not take retarded risk they would not otherwise take (ie ramming ones head into their opponent at top speed.) You'd may get knocked out 2-3 times in rugby over several years, one can get concussions much more often in boxing. The closest thing would be either football running back, wrestler or hockey player who gets routinely checked. I've played rugby, its not really all that dangerous from a concussion point of view. because the guys are not trying to concuss you they are trying to stop you from moving forward
Nice job completely missing the point.

My point was there's dangers in many sports we participate in. If people looked at each sport's potential injuries and decided by that if they're going to join or not there wouldn't be many people playing rugby, hockey, football or competing in boxing.

Just to add, you haven't played a real game of rugby unless the opposing team is attempting to concuss you
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2012, 08:18 PM   #9
StillWill
Dr. Eisenfaust
ESB Addict

vCash: 174

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post

My point was there's dangers in many sports we participate in. If people looked at each sport's potential injuries and decided by that if they're going to join or not there wouldn't be many people playing rugby, hockey, football or competing in boxing.
Not a lot of punch drunk ex rugby players out there. Apples and oranges.
StillWill is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2012, 08:20 PM   #10
AZ_40
Contender
ESB Senior Member

If we die, then we die doing something we loved
AZ_40 is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2012, 08:20 PM   #11
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Wow. Are people really that dense they can't comprehend that very simple point I made? I didn't compare rugby to boxing in any way.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2012, 09:03 PM   #12
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I'd say that rugby is more dangerous than boxing if anything. How many boxers end up as paraplegics?
dealt_with is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2012, 10:13 PM   #13
AZ_40
Contender
ESB Senior Member

****in' esb
AZ_40 is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2012, 11:01 PM   #14
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

The harder I punch, the more i worry about being on the receiving end of one of those punches. So yeah, this sport is a real balance of a lot of things. One of those things is between being an exciting fighter dishing it out with reckless abandon, and trying to stay safe in the long term. It's a risky sport.
Speechless is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2012, 11:46 PM   #15
hernanday
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post

Just to add, you haven't played a real game of rugby unless the opposing team is attempting to concuss you
Ok, fair enough, but it seems like a huge amount of boxers end up with alzheimers or parkinsons or going blind.

But even as playing football offense for many years I only really say I got 2 hits to the noggen on average per season, like one that would make me shake my head or whatever. I guess in football you can get a broken collar bone or a broken leg but I don't see Joe Namath sitting in a wheel chair from parkinson. I don't see wayne gretzky with alzheimer. Sure they have other health problems, like bad back, bad knee, but I don't see them with messed up hormone levels which can cause you cancer later in life. Rugby is a tough sport and there are bones you can break and concussion is realistic, in fact someone died playing rugby when I was in highschool. Plus half the people playing organized sports aren't even playing the whole game. Plenty of people playing pro and non pro hockey are just playing 20-30 minutes not the whole 60 minute game half the time the people are on the bench and only the truly top players get to play the whole game. Boxing isn't like that, your fighting 3-4 rounds in amateurs even if your tired. You can't just go on the bench.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing