ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Haye v Dempsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theron View Post
I really hope this is a joke thread,
-Dempsey had more power
-Dempsey had a good boxing style
-What i think it would come up to Dempey fought like a man whose life depended on it this was how he ate thats why he fought the way he did, Haye cries and acts like a baby because of his toe, Dempsey gets knocked out of the ring and gets back in and dosen't wine or anything if Haye got knocked out the ring what do you think would happen. Dempsey wins on everything and i hope everybody else sees this and if you don't i don't really feel like arguing it with you because it dosen't deserve to be argued. Dempsey would win .Fact.
In a sport where throwing a single punch can be the difference between winning and losing, nothing is set in stone and fantasy matchups cannot ever be predicted with 100% certainty as "fact".
MadcapMaxie is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2012, 05:40 AM   #17
rusak
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Haye hits at least as hard as Dempsey and has much better defense. Stop mythologizing these old-time fighters.
rusak is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2012, 05:49 AM   #18
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadcapMaxie View Post
Jesus some people on here are amazing, the very consideration that a modern boxer could beat the likes of Dempsey seems beyond any sort of reason yet it isn't all that farfetched, Dempsey has been seriously hurt by smaller and less harder punching people than Haye (as has Haye). Haye is bigger, probably stronger, more athletic, good speed and power and not a bad finisher. I'm picking Dempsey but some people wrote of Haye without giving a second thought of how the fight could unfold.
Yeah some of these posters are pathetic at times. It's like they think Dempsey is so amazing that it's a crime to match him up with champions who came after him.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2012, 05:55 AM   #19
kingfisher3
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusak View Post
Haye hits at least as hard as Dempsey and has much better defense. Stop mythologizing these old-time fighters.
haye can't combine his offense and defense well though.

the cruiser haye was offensive, and its a good fight but gets taken out.

the HW haye has bad stamina and fights defensive against half decent opposition, could make it to the later rounds.

depends which haye turns up but i cant see either having a chance until the slower tunney version of dempsey, and even then how will he respond to dempseys power? i figure not well.
kingfisher3 is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2012, 06:13 AM   #20
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisher3 View Post

the HW haye has bad stamina and fights defensive against half decent opposition, could make it to the later rounds.

depends which haye turns up but i cant see either having a chance until the slower tunney version of dempsey, and even then how will he respond to dempseys power? i figure not well.
How do you think Dempsey will respond to Haye's power?
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2012, 06:46 AM   #21
kingfisher3
Contender
ESB Senior Member

i think dempsey has a better chin and stamina than haye, they can hurt each other, probably have comparable power, but dempsey gets up better.

my first post reads a bit anti haye, i liked him earlier in his career, but think he will be out of his depth v dempsey
kingfisher3 is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2012, 03:15 PM   #22
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
i think dempsey has a better chin and stamina than haye, they can hurt each other, probably have comparable power, but dempsey gets up better.

my first post reads a bit anti haye, i liked him earlier in his career, but think he will be out of his depth v dempsey
Stamina wise it's hard to say with Haye because he's not been in a tough distance fight yet although he has scored late stoppages.

Chin wise Haye took a number of flush right hands off Wlad who is arguably the heaviest puncher in boxing history, We've never seen Jack's chin tested at such a level.

I think the power is there for both, it's hard to tell on film bu Jack was always described as accurate so the delivery is probably equal there. Haye will be faster, I've no doubt on that. Haye will also be a couple of stone heavier.

I'm not 100% sure who I pick. Jack is proven at a higher level, I think it'll be a shoot out and I'm not sure who I favour in that scenario, whoever lands first maybe?
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2012, 05:29 PM   #23
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadcapMaxie View Post
I'm picking Dempsey but some people wrote of Haye without giving a second thought of how the fight could unfold.
Not me.

With a fighter like Dempsey there is always the issue, that they are going to be coming in the wrong direction if they meet a big punch.

Luis Firpo was two classes beneath Dempsey, and should have been another easy early KO, but he almost beat him.

Ultimately however, we are talking about the most likley outcome.

Dempsey
janitor is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2012, 05:44 PM   #24
Minotauro
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Dempsey would stop him, and Haye is not faster out of the two. Dempsey is top three heavy when he comes to finishing once he hurts Haye's its good night.
Minotauro is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2012, 06:04 PM   #25
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minotauro View Post
Dempsey would stop him, and Haye is not faster out of the two. Dempsey is top three heavy when he comes to finishing once he hurts Haye's its good night.
Not seen you for a bit.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2012, 08:16 PM   #26
rusak
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
Stamina wise it's hard to say with Haye because he's not been in a tough distance fight yet although he has scored late stoppages.

Chin wise Haye took a number of flush right hands off Wlad who is arguably the heaviest puncher in boxing history, We've never seen Jack's chin tested at such a level.

I think the power is there for both, it's hard to tell on film bu Jack was always described as accurate so the delivery is probably equal there. Haye will be faster, I've no doubt on that. Haye will also be a couple of stone heavier.

I'm not 100% sure who I pick. Jack is proven at a higher level, I think it'll be a shoot out and I'm not sure who I favour in that scenario, whoever lands first maybe?
At the higher level of Willard and Firpo? You gotta be kidding.
rusak is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2012, 08:27 PM   #27
rusak
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:

It's not Haye's style to stand and fight, where he would need to really combine offense and defense. Haye is an outside fighter who likes to pick his spots to jump in with power shots.

I think Haye wins or loses this one early, so stamina wouldn't really be much of a factor.
rusak is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2012, 09:17 PM   #28
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

Just a ridiculous thread ... everyone knows that heavyweights could not fight before Ezzard Charles ...
he grant is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2012, 11:16 PM   #29
Ricky42791
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2835

this question disgusts me...its insulting to compare David Haye to Jack Dempsey
Ricky42791 is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 04:16 AM   #30
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

I'll be the first to actually assess how the fight will go down. Haye will look to jab, potshot and counter off the back foot. Dempsey will look to bob and weave, moving to the left and throw left hook leads to get his hooks off inside. The important questions:

Does Haye get his jab landing, if he does it would stop Dempsey in his tracks. I think this would happen a fair bit

Who's quicker outside? Haye is, although his punches are a bit wide at times they are still straighter and longer than Dempsey's lead left hooking style, Haye's jab and lead right should be expected to land first. Although Dempsey may slip some and counter inside

What lands first as Dempsey moves in, Dempsey's left hook or Haye's counter right? Chisora stylistically is similar and he got destroyed by the right on the way in

If Dempsey gets inside what happens? Dempsey would rain fire on Haye's open defence and Haye's lack of in fighting, Chisora and Mormeck showed Haye's vulnerabilities

If it goes long how does Haye handle Dempsey's pressure? Haye's stamina isn't the best

I think Haye knocks Dempsey out early or gets run over late

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky42791 View Post
this question disgusts me...its insulting to compare David Haye to Jack Dempsey
Dempsey hasn't beat anyone nearly as good as Haye

Last edited by PowerPuncher; 10-08-2012 at 04:29 AM.
PowerPuncher is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum