Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2012, 07:10 PM   #16
Forza
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: South Florida
Posts: 4,977
vCash: 500
Default Re: Mayweather Jr>Ray Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittlez View Post
Will Floyd beat Tommy Hearns at WW?
Did times change ?
Im not sure about that one because hearns was a freak. I'm not sure about ray leonard vs mayweather either at welter. I do think he beats duran at LW though.
Forza is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2012, 07:10 PM   #17
ROACH
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,570
vCash: 500
Default Re: Mayweather Jr>Ray Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forza View Post
H2H floyd beats him at welter. Times have changed, SRR threw a lot of wide looping shots that floyd would see coming a mile away.

but it's not SRR's fault, the sport has just evolved. Just like jack dempsey would never had made it even in the 50's as HW champ.
LOL.

What are you talking about?

Do you even know what you're talking about?

Have you even seen either of these guys fight. Dempsey knocked out Sharkey with a punch that was maybe 6 inches at most. Completely destroyed the man.

He put guys that outweighed him by 60 lbs on the deck multiple times.

He was one of the most dynamic punchers in the history of the sport. He reminds me of a huge Pacquiao, regarding his footwork and his explosive punching.

And Robinson? You must be trolling.

He put combinations better than anybody in the history of the game, and he could take opponents out with one shot from either hand.

He never stood still, and moved around the ring like a dancer. His record and his resume speaks for itself.

He would knock Floyd out. Floyd would retreat to the ropes and you would see a devestating series of punches, after counterpunching Floyd while Floyd is on the ropes, and that would be the end of Floyd.
ROACH is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:16 PM   #18
Midnight Ridah
Juan Manuel Márquez: 59-2
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 95
vCash: 1766
Default Re: Mayweather Jr>Ray Robinson

Midnight Ridah is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:17 PM   #19
ROACH
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,570
vCash: 500
Default Re: Mayweather Jr>Ray Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forza View Post
Im not sure about that one because hearns was a freak. I'm not sure about ray leonard vs mayweather either at welter. I do think he beats duran at LW though.
Floyd vs Leonard or Robinson would both beat Floyd. They both had the reach, patience, and speed to allow Floyd to make the first mistake.

Floyd would retreat to the ropes.

They'll bait Floyd out with staight right hands to his body, close enough to land on Floyd, but far enough away to get outside of his counter.

Eventually, they would time Floyd, and it would similiar to this at 3:40.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usugXyL_ApE&feature=related[/ame]
ROACH is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:32 PM   #20
KnuckleUp99
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,541
vCash: 500
Default Re: Mayweather Jr>Ray Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsLock View Post
how can this be disputed? PBF has never lost a professional boxing match and seems he never will as there is no blueprint to beat him.

SRR lost 19 times and drew 6 times
You lazy bastard! if you are looking to learn about the sweet science and the historical facts.....do your homework. Stop fishing....you obviously know Floyd isn't anything close to Robinson in terms of legacy and overall dominance....do a little research to educate yourself....you come in making BS threads like this and you'll get a variety of feedback that comes from Floyd fans and real boxing fans.....but without your own knowledge you won't know what's real and what's bias perception.
KnuckleUp99 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:33 PM   #21
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 7,356
vCash: 75
Default Re: Mayweather Jr>Ray Robinson

Floyd isn't a natural WW and has nothing to keep Robinson off of him. He'd almost need to be reduced to negative to make it through the fight. Keeping in mind the former, it would allow Robinson to fully commit to an all-out body assault with Floyd's counters being migitated by Robinson's ATG level chin. I take it he's also fast enough to find the gaps and get the right hand home on a few occasions, which could be all it takes to put Floyd on queer street. Almost a given that they would.
Hands of Iron is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:34 PM   #22
rorschach51
Bam Bam Warrior!
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Arcola Il
Posts: 2,066
vCash: 75
Default Re: Mayweather Jr>Ray Robinson

Floyd would have had a hard time being champion at WW and definitely would not have remained undefeated if he fought in Robinson's era. To many animals and just great all-around fighters to have to go through on the way to the title.
rorschach51 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #23
elchivito
master betty
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: section 8
Posts: 11,295
vCash: 107
Default Re: Mayweather Jr>Ray Robinson

Floyd would have his moments, but his best punches would only piss both Sugars off and every round would be a bomb like the one an old Mosley landed on Floyd in round 2. Floyd has trouble with fast fighters like Judah and unlike Judah both Sugars won't tire or fight Floyds fight they won't let Floyd boss them for one second. Floyd doesnt have power to hurt them, but they had power to seriously hurt Floyd. Duran would whip him without a doubt and beat him mentally even before the fight started calling Floyd a maricas. Floyd only beats a 154 Duran, but 135-147 he gets manhandled this aint Cotto or Hatton ffs!
elchivito is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:42 PM   #24
puga_ni_nana
Dempsey Roll
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 20,897
vCash: 75
Default Re: Mayweather Jr>Ray Robinson

CapsLock? is this sdsfinest's another ALT?
puga_ni_nana is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:42 PM   #25
HIGHCOLLIDE
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: MIAMI,FL
Posts: 876
vCash: 500
Default Re: Mayweather Jr>Ray Robinson

Iam a mayweather fan,..but he not better then the #1 All time great sugar ray robinson.

Robinson lost all his fights out of his prime,..fought almost every week,and diffrent wieght classes all the time.

Finally roger mayweather himself said that his nephew was behind robinson.
HIGHCOLLIDE is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:54 PM   #26
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 7,356
vCash: 75
Default Re: Mayweather Jr>Ray Robinson

Peak Record: 128-1-2 (84 KO). 131-3-2 at the time of first retirement, only losses being to Jake LaMotta who outweighed him by 16.5 lbs (and who he beat five times), HOF Randy Turpin in his 132nd fight (which he avenged immediately), and Light Heavyweight Champ Joey Maxim who Robinson badly schooled at 157 lbs before succumbing to heat exhaustion.

16 of his 19 losses occurred post-1955 after he came back from a 3-year retirement in his mid-30s.


Here's the list of fighters Robinson fought who were rated by RING Magazine at one point or another. In Bold are those rated at the time he fought them, Italics on IBHOF/WBHOFs:

Boxer Weight 1st-Rated Last-Rated Months-Rated Best-Rating
Abrams, Georgie 160 1938/08 1947/10 055 01*
Angott, Sammy 135-147 1938/07 1946/04 081 00
Archer, Joey 160 1963/03 1967/05 051 01*
Armstrong, Henry 126-147 1935/01 1945/06 123 00
Barnes, Ray 160 1950/08 1953/02 018 04*
Basilio, Carmen 147-160 1953/06 1962/02 087 00
Basora, Jose 160 1942/09 1949/08 048 02*

Bell, O'Neill 160 1948/01 1948/05 002 07*
Bell, Tommy 147 1944/01 1949/02 051 01*
Belloise, Steve 147-160 1940/06 1950/06 096 01*

Berger, Maxie 135-147 1938/05 1944/02 033 05*
Burns, Charley 135 1935/07 1935/11 005 05*
Castellani, Rocky 160 1949/02 1957/02 059 01*
Castiglione, Nick 135 1941/11 1943/02 005 08*
Costner, George 147 1945/11 1951/02 032 01*
Curcio, Joe 147 1946/09 1946/09 001 10*
Delannoit, Cyrille 160 1948/08 1949/06 011 02*
Dellicurti, Vic 147-160 1939/12 1945/09 022 06*
Docusen, Bernard 135-147 1945/07 1950/10 050 01*
Downes, Terry 160-175 1960/09 1966/03 052 00
Doyle, Jimmy 147 1945/06 1947/08 019 02*
Dupas, Ralph 135-147 1953/09 1965/03 136 01*

Dykes, Bobby 147-160 1949/10 1956/02 033 01*
Fullmer, Gene 160 1955/08 1964/07 107 00
Fusari, Charley 147 1946/11 1952/03 049 02*
Gavilan, Kid 147-160 1948/01 1958/09 106 00

Ghnouly, Joe 130-135 1931/11 1936/04 031 05*
Giardello, Joey 160-175 1952/10 1968/03 152 00
Graziano, Rocky 147-160 1944/09 1952/10 083 00

Guggino, Carl "Red" 135 1937/02 1938/03 006 06*
Harrington, Stan 147-160 1963/09 1967/06 035 02*
Harris, Ossie 160 1945/09 1945/10 002 10*
Hecht, Gerhard 175 1953/03 1958/03 061 01*
Hernandez, Art 160 1965/11 1966/03 002 10*
Hernandez, Ferd 160 1966/12 1968/10 023 02*
Hudson, Cecil 147-160 1943/02 1947/12 006 02*
Jannazzo, Izzy 147-160 1935/03 1944/08 066 01*
Jones, Ralph Tiger 160 1953/02 1960/08 047 03*
LaMotta, Jake 160-175 1942/07 1953/02 121 00
Leahy, Mick 160 1965/01 1965/03 003 10*
Lee, Don 160 1984/04 1986/12 032 04*
Lello, Pete 135 1939/02 1941/04 016 03*
Levine, Artie 160-175 1946/05 1949/04 012 06*
Martin, Georgie 147 1941/01 1944/02 006 10*
Maxim, Joey* 175-200+ 1941/02 1956/09 148* 00
McDaniels, Jimmy 147 1943/06 1945/08 019 03*

Mims, Holley 160 1952/02 1960/06 057 02*
Motisi, Tony 147 1942/05 194304 009 06*
Moyer, Denny 147-160 1959/04 1972/06 099 01*

Nettlow, Al 135-147 1939/04 1943/02 006 08*
Olson, Carl Bobo 160-175 1949/08 1967/05 139 00
Pender, Paul 160 1959/06 1964/02 050 00

Quarles, Norment 135 1937/01 1939/02 012 08*
Rangel, Sheik 147 1943/02 1944/02 009 05*
Rindone, Joe 160-175 1951/06 1954/02 004 07*
Rubio, Norman 147 1941/09 1944/02 010 09*
Secreet, Sammy 147 1942/01 1946/08 006 06*
Servo, Marty 147 1942/02 1947/02 022 00
Shapiro, Maxie 126-135 1940/07 1945/02 018 03*
Stretz, Hans 160-175 1954/02 1958/02 019 02*
Taylor, Chuck 147 1946/06 1946/11 004 07*
Turner, Earl 147 1942/11 1948/09 011 04*
Turpin, Randy 160-175 1950/03 1958/02 065 00
Tygh, Jimmy 135 1939/02 1940/09 002 09*
Villemain, Robert 147-175 1947/09 1953/02 046 02*
Wade, Aaron Tiger 160 1945/12 1946/02 003 07*
Wallace, Frankie 126-135 1932/01 1938/02 020 02*
Wilson, Jackie (L.A.) 135-147 1940/01 1947/04 032 02*
Zannelli, Ralph 147-160 1938/02 1953/02 018 03*

Zengaras, George 135 1937/09 1939/11 007 08*
Zivic, Fritzie 147 1936/08 1945/08 095 00
Hands of Iron is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:09 PM   #27
hookfromhell
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,242
vCash: 427
Default Re: Mayweather Jr>Ray Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands of Iron View Post
Peak Record: 128-1-2 (84 KO). 131-3-2 at the time of first retirement, only losses being to Jake LaMotta who outweighed him by 16.5 lbs (and who he beat five times), HOF Randy Turpin in his 132nd fight (which he avenged immediately), and Light Heavyweight Champ Joey Maxim who Robinson badly schooled at 157 lbs before succumbing to heat exhaustion.

16 of his 19 losses occurred post-1955 after he came back from a 3-year retirement in his mid-30s.


Here's the list of fighters Robinson fought who were rated by RING Magazine at one point or another. In Bold are those rated at the time he fought them, Italics on IBHOF/WBHOFs:

Boxer Weight 1st-Rated Last-Rated Months-Rated Best-Rating
Abrams, Georgie 160 1938/08 1947/10 055 01*
Angott, Sammy 135-147 1938/07 1946/04 081 00
Archer, Joey 160 1963/03 1967/05 051 01*
Armstrong, Henry 126-147 1935/01 1945/06 123 00
Barnes, Ray 160 1950/08 1953/02 018 04*
Basilio, Carmen 147-160 1953/06 1962/02 087 00
Basora, Jose 160 1942/09 1949/08 048 02*

Bell, O'Neill 160 1948/01 1948/05 002 07*
Bell, Tommy 147 1944/01 1949/02 051 01*
Belloise, Steve 147-160 1940/06 1950/06 096 01*

Berger, Maxie 135-147 1938/05 1944/02 033 05*
Burns, Charley 135 1935/07 1935/11 005 05*
Castellani, Rocky 160 1949/02 1957/02 059 01*
Castiglione, Nick 135 1941/11 1943/02 005 08*
Costner, George 147 1945/11 1951/02 032 01*
Curcio, Joe 147 1946/09 1946/09 001 10*
Delannoit, Cyrille 160 1948/08 1949/06 011 02*
Dellicurti, Vic 147-160 1939/12 1945/09 022 06*
Docusen, Bernard 135-147 1945/07 1950/10 050 01*
Downes, Terry 160-175 1960/09 1966/03 052 00
Doyle, Jimmy 147 1945/06 1947/08 019 02*
Dupas, Ralph 135-147 1953/09 1965/03 136 01*

Dykes, Bobby 147-160 1949/10 1956/02 033 01*
Fullmer, Gene 160 1955/08 1964/07 107 00
Fusari, Charley 147 1946/11 1952/03 049 02*
Gavilan, Kid 147-160 1948/01 1958/09 106 00

Ghnouly, Joe 130-135 1931/11 1936/04 031 05*
Giardello, Joey 160-175 1952/10 1968/03 152 00
Graziano, Rocky 147-160 1944/09 1952/10 083 00

Guggino, Carl "Red" 135 1937/02 1938/03 006 06*
Harrington, Stan 147-160 1963/09 1967/06 035 02*
Harris, Ossie 160 1945/09 1945/10 002 10*
Hecht, Gerhard 175 1953/03 1958/03 061 01*
Hernandez, Art 160 1965/11 1966/03 002 10*
Hernandez, Ferd 160 1966/12 1968/10 023 02*
Hudson, Cecil 147-160 1943/02 1947/12 006 02*
Jannazzo, Izzy 147-160 1935/03 1944/08 066 01*
Jones, Ralph Tiger 160 1953/02 1960/08 047 03*
LaMotta, Jake 160-175 1942/07 1953/02 121 00
Leahy, Mick 160 1965/01 1965/03 003 10*
Lee, Don 160 1984/04 1986/12 032 04*
Lello, Pete 135 1939/02 1941/04 016 03*
Levine, Artie 160-175 1946/05 1949/04 012 06*
Martin, Georgie 147 1941/01 1944/02 006 10*
Maxim, Joey* 175-200+ 1941/02 1956/09 148* 00
McDaniels, Jimmy 147 1943/06 1945/08 019 03*

Mims, Holley 160 1952/02 1960/06 057 02*
Motisi, Tony 147 1942/05 194304 009 06*
Moyer, Denny 147-160 1959/04 1972/06 099 01*

Nettlow, Al 135-147 1939/04 1943/02 006 08*
Olson, Carl Bobo 160-175 1949/08 1967/05 139 00
Pender, Paul 160 1959/06 1964/02 050 00

Quarles, Norment 135 1937/01 1939/02 012 08*
Rangel, Sheik 147 1943/02 1944/02 009 05*
Rindone, Joe 160-175 1951/06 1954/02 004 07*
Rubio, Norman 147 1941/09 1944/02 010 09*
Secreet, Sammy 147 1942/01 1946/08 006 06*
Servo, Marty 147 1942/02 1947/02 022 00
Shapiro, Maxie 126-135 1940/07 1945/02 018 03*
Stretz, Hans 160-175 1954/02 1958/02 019 02*
Taylor, Chuck 147 1946/06 1946/11 004 07*
Turner, Earl 147 1942/11 1948/09 011 04*
Turpin, Randy 160-175 1950/03 1958/02 065 00
Tygh, Jimmy 135 1939/02 1940/09 002 09*
Villemain, Robert 147-175 1947/09 1953/02 046 02*
Wade, Aaron Tiger 160 1945/12 1946/02 003 07*
Wallace, Frankie 126-135 1932/01 1938/02 020 02*
Wilson, Jackie (L.A.) 135-147 1940/01 1947/04 032 02*
Zannelli, Ralph 147-160 1938/02 1953/02 018 03*

Zengaras, George 135 1937/09 1939/11 007 08*
Zivic, Fritzie 147 1936/08 1945/08 095 00
Thank you for taking the time to pull that up. Mayweather's
welterweight resume is pathetic compared to SRR. Robinson
easily matches Floyd in speed and skills and has atg KO
power. Floyd proved himself against a 38 year old
Mosley but Robinson went to war many times.
Floyd isnt gonna pot shot and frustrate Sugar.
Robinson UD 12, TKO 14
hookfromhell is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:54 PM   #28
MrMagic
Super Six
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Sweden
Posts: 19,767
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Mayweather Jr>Ray Robinson

Brian Nielsen was 80-0 something at one point.


Guess he's the greatest of all time.
MrMagic is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:53 AM   #29
hernanday
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 204
vCash: 500
Default Re: Mayweather Jr>Ray Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsLock View Post
how can this be disputed? PBF has never lost a professional boxing match and seems he never will as there is no blueprint to beat him.

SRR lost 19 times and drew 6 times
FM has given us the blueprint on how to make money as a boxer, declare yourself the best, fight only tomatoes and washed up has been or occasional guys who could win but are the wrong matchup.

Yeah you fought 40 fights but against who? Where are the haglers, hearns, durans, on his resume, lamotta's whatever. He doesn't fight prime fighters who are good. He just fights other tomatoe smashers and tomatoes. We all know there is only one guy maybe 2 who will be considered great in his class, pac man and bailey. And since he is running scared from both of them, he should be ignored.

FM wants to make money and all that's cool, after all he is the one taking the punches to the face, he wants to buy matches, whatever, I won't watch him nor spend my money watching fixed fights, if I watch fixed fights I'll watch wrestling.

People watch mayweather and think he is hot shit but don't understand that Sugar ray leonard would have utterly destroyed him, he is not a great, but he is perhaps the best at making money.
hernanday is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:55 AM   #30
Imperial1
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 19,921
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Mayweather Jr>Ray Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanday View Post
FM has given us the blueprint on how to make money as a boxer, declare yourself the best, fight only tomatoes and washed up has been or occasional guys who could win but are the wrong matchup.

Yeah you fought 40 fights but against who? Where are the haglers, hearns, durans, on his resume, lamotta's whatever. He doesn't fight prime fighters who are good. He just fights other tomatoe smashers and tomatoes. We all know there is only one guy maybe 2 who will be considered great in his class, pac man and bailey. And since he is running scared from both of them, he should be ignored.

FM wants to make money and all that's cool, after all he is the one taking the punches to the face, he wants to buy matches, whatever, I won't watch him nor spend my money watching fixed fights, if I watch fixed fights I'll watch wrestling.

People watch mayweather and think he is hot shit but don't understand that Sugar ray leonard would have utterly destroyed him, he is not a great, but he is perhaps the best at making money.


Spot on
Imperial1 is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013