Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 10-07-2012, 10:14 PM   #1
TIGEREDGE
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Floyd Mayweather V Roy Jones (not a fantasy fight)

whos' greater; has the better legacy?

i cant seperate them really just give edge to maywetaher. both can be accused of dodging a lot of great challengers which really effects there legacy

WHo's more gifted?

I would say jones he had more power and speed and athletism. i reckn jones was the most gifted fighter ever

Who's better technically?

I would say mayweather. mayweather has mastered the art of defence. he doesn't just rely on speed and other gifts

Whos the tougher more durable fighter? I would say mayweather. hes proved his chin to be more durable than jones. neither has really had a defining fight like a ray leonard against tommy hearns
TIGEREDGE is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2012, 10:15 PM   #2
SouthpawJab
On his way up!! 4-0!!
ESB Addict

vCash: 462
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather V Roy Jones (not a fantasy fight)

Mayweather is nowhere near perfect technically. He breaks a ton of rules himself as do all elite fighters. It's what makes them elite.

and Roy is world's better talent and performance wise.
SouthpawJab is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2012, 10:16 PM   #3
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

their legacies are very close to be sure.. Not sure if we can verify that Floyd's chin is better. It took some pretty hard hitters to stop Jones and only when he was past it besides. Jones had the edge in athleticism, but I don't know who has the better resume.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2012, 11:39 PM   #4
Cinderella Man
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo View Post
their legacies are very close to be sure.. Not sure if we can verify that Floyd's chin is better. It took some pretty hard hitters to stop Jones and only when he was past it besides. Jones had the edge in athleticism, but I don't know who has the better resume.
I'm pretty sure most people would agree Floyd's resume is much better than Jones'. Not a flomo, and i don't hate on Roy, I just think it's pretty obvious.
Cinderella Man is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2012, 11:53 PM   #5
TIGEREDGE
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderella Man View Post
I'm pretty sure most people would agree Floyd's resume is much better than Jones'. Not a flomo, and i don't hate on Roy, I just think it's pretty obvious.
a win over a close to prime toney and hopkins is better than any of floyds wins. a faded 35 year old oscar is the greatest name on his regime though his best wins are over castillo and corrales
Old 10-07-2012, 11:54 PM   #6
TIGEREDGE
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawJab View Post
Mayweather is nowhere near perfect technically. He breaks a ton of rules himself as do all elite fighters. It's what makes them elite.

and Roy is world's better talent and performance wise.
he has shown a great defence in a few fights
Old 10-08-2012, 12:04 AM   #7
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP

vCash: 26664

I have Roy by fifteen or so spots, I think. Something like that. If he'd taken Pac in 2009-2010, and defeated him when it was so meaningful, they'd be pretty close, to me. I'd have favoured him then. I really favour him now, with minimal hesitation, but it's not as meaningful, to me, at all. That's not placing blame on him. That's just a matter of something that would've easily put him in the company, to me. If he defeated Sergio, right now, for the middleweight title, they'd be much closer for me, also. And, I would slightly favour him in that fight as well. But, thinking he could do it aside, I can't rate him like he actually has. That's not how that works. I don't really see another fight for him that puts him up that much. Not one particular fight, anyway. And, of course, Roy's not dropping in my estimation by fighting after losing it.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 01:05 AM   #8
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

I think Mayweather has a better resume just because he had much tougher fights, against much better fights...Who did Roy fight?
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 02:32 AM   #9
Sangria
Belt holder
ESB Addict

RJJ. Wins over Toney and Hopkins are better than anything May has. RJJ missed out on Michalchewski while May ducked Margarito, Mosley at the time, Cotto at the time, Pac right now.
Sangria is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2012, 03:49 AM   #10
young griffo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Both supreme talents but Jones looked nigh on unbeatable (Griffin 1) aside until about his 4th weight class and his fight with Eric Harding (but then again he didn't struggle after that until Tarver 3 years later). That aside he dominated every fight he had and never lost much more than 3 rounds in any other fight including the Hopkins and Toney bouts.

Floyd has some good wins but he had problems with a well past prime De La Hoya, a debatable (although I still thought Floyd edged it) win over Castillo and shipped a lot of punishment against a Cotto that was past his best and had been dominated by Pacquiao.

Jones' legacy is hurt by not fighting Benn,Michalzweski and Eubank (all easy wins for Roy imo) but for every missed opportunity for Roy you can find a Tszyu, Margharito and Pacquiao fight missing from Floyd's resume (though I'd favour Floyd in these as well).

Roy was much more spectacular to watch and could punch and that counts for something as well so he gets my vote.
young griffo is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2012, 04:12 AM   #11
Body Head
East Side Rape (CEO)
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Roy has the better top wins for sure. The Toney and Hopkins wins are better than any of Floyd's and arguably the Ruiz win is better than any of Floyds.
Body Head is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum